Swarthmore Athletics Weekly Recap:

Swarthmore Athletics

Softball:

Swarthmore College: 0, Drew University: 6

On Thursday, March 9, Swarthmore’s softball team faced Drew University in Naples, FL. The Garnet ultimately fell to the Rangers 6-0, tallying five hits yet zero runs. 

Notable Players: Sarah Schab ’25 was stellar from the mound over three innings, allowing just two hits, zero runs, and three strikeouts.

Swarthmore College: 8, Grove City College: 2

On Thursday, March 9, Swarthmore’s softball team also faced Grove City College in Naples, FL for their last spring break game. The Garnet defeated the Wolverines handily, 8-2. The Garnet had a total of thirteen runs. 

Notable Players: Flannery McFadden ’24 and Brooke Coneeny ’23 had two runs each. Molly O’Sullivan ’24 recorded three hits and four runs batted in on four at-bats. Lane Barron ’26 pitched for five innings, allowing just one earned run and striking out two batters.

Baseball: 

Swarthmore College: 1, Misericordia University: 15

On Thursday, March 9, Swarthmore’s baseball team faced Misericordia University in Port Charlotte, FL. In their final game of spring break, the Garnet fell to the Cougars, 1-15.

Notable Players: Nate Jbara ’23 recorded the Garnet’s only run. Both Zach Potthoff ’25 and Jack Bowling ’25 pitched perfect innings, allowing zero runs and zero hits.

Swarthmore College: 2, Middlebury College: 4

On Sunday, March 12, Swarthmore’s baseball team played in the first of two seven-inning games against Middlebury College. The Garnet had the first run of the game in the fifth inning, but the Panthers responded with four runs of their own in the sixth inning. The Garnet had one run in the seventh inning to end the game, 2-4.

Notable Players: Liam Alpern ’25 pitched five shutout innings, and Kaiden Rosenbaum ’26 had his first collegiate home run. 

Swarthmore College: 2, Middlebury College: 9

On Sunday, March 12, in their second seven-inning game against Middlebury College, Swarthmore’s baseball team was defeated again. The Garnet were down 4-2 by the sixth inning; however, the Panthers scored five runs in the seventh inning to earn a 9-2 victory.

Notable Players: Austin Burgess ’23 and Jbara had the only two runs of the game.

Men’s Tennis:

Swarthmore College: 1, Pomona-Pitzer: 6

On Thursday, March 9, No. 28 ranked Swarthmore men’s tennis faced No. 9 Pomona-Pitzer in Claremont, CA. In their first competition of Pomona-Pitzer’s Stag-Hen Tournament, the Garnet could not find a victory in doubles play and won only the No. 1 seed singles match against the highly ranked team.

Notable Players: Michael Melnikov ’26 took a dominant victory in the No. 1 seed singles match, 6-1, 6-2. 

Women’s Tennis:

Swarthmore College: 0, Claremont-Mudds-Scripps College: 7

On Saturday, March 11, Swarthmore women’s tennis faced Claremont-Mudds-Scripps College in Claremont, CA to finish their spring break trip. The No. 32 ranked Garnet struggled against the No. 1 Athenas in doubles play and singles play, unable to capture any wins. This is the Garnet’s first loss of the 2023 season.

Notable Players: Erica Stutz ’24 battled hard into the third set of the No. 4 seeded singles match; however, she was unable to find victory.

Men’s Track and Field:

On Friday, March 10, Aidan Cantine ’23 represented the Swarthmore men’s indoor track and field team at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field National Championships. Cantine competed in the mile, finishing with a time of 4:08.04 and placing fourth in his heat. The senior came in eighth overall out of twenty competing runners, qualifying for the finals. 

On Saturday, March 11, Cantine competed in the mile run finals of the NCAA Indoor Track and Field National Championships. The senior finished fourth overall with a time of 4:05.36 to set a new championship and program record. Cantine’s top-eight finish earned him All-American status.

On Saturday, March 11, Swarthmore men’s track and field kicked off their outdoor season at the Myrtle Beach Collegiate Challenge. The Garnet had seven top-ten finishes, with Will Sheehy ’26 taking first place in the 5000-meter run with a time of 15:08.11.

Women’s Track and Field:

On Friday, March 10, Rose Teszler ’23 represented the Swarthmore women’s indoor track and field team at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field National Championships. Teszler competed in the 800-meter run, finishing with a personal best time of 2:11.55 and placing second in her heat. The senior came in fifth overall out of twenty competing runners, qualifying for the NCAA finals.

On Saturday, March 11, Teszler competed in the 800-meter run finals of the NCAA Indoor Track and Field National Championships. The senior finished seventh overall with a time of 2:14.95 to earn All-American status. Adria Retter ’23 also competed on the day in the shot put event, finishing sixteenth overall with a top distance of 13.11 meters.

On Saturday, March 11, Swarthmore women’s track and field began their outdoor season at the Myrtle Beach Collegiate Challenge. The Garnet had top-ten finishes from eight athletes. Emily Trelstad ’25 earned third in the high jump with a top mark of 1.53 meters. 

Men’s Basketball:

Swarthmore College: 82, Keene State: 58

On Friday, March 10, No. 7 ranked Swarthmore men’s basketball faced No. 5 ranked Keene State in the round of sixteen of the NCAA tournament. Playing at home on Tarble Pavilion, the Garnet defeated the Owls handily, 82-58, to advance to the Elite Eight round. This was a revenge match for the Garnet, who was eliminated by the Owls on the Garnet home court in last season’s opening round of the NCAA tournament.

Notable Players: Vinny DeAngelo ’24 led the Garnet offense with a game-high of 23 points. Michael Caprise ’24 showed out strong with a double-double, eighteen points, and eleven rebounds. 

Swarthmore College: 78, Nichols College: 77

On Saturday, March 11, Swarthmore men’s basketball faced Nichols College at home in the Elite Eight round of the NCAA tournament. In an intense and aggressive game, the Garnet fought to keep the score close, trailing the Bison by just a few points for almost the entire game. However, with just eight seconds left on the clock, the Garnet drained a two-pointer to take a one-point lead over the Bison and secure a spot in the NCAA Final Four.

Notable Players: George Visconti ’23 led the Garnet offense with 23 points. Caprise had the game-winning bucket to secure the Garnet’s advancement.

Men’s Lacrosse:

Swarthmore College: 18, Roanoke College: 13

On Saturday, March 11, Swarthmore men’s lacrosse faced Roanoke College in Salem, VA. Coming out strong, the Garnet scored seven goals in the first quarter and used their momentum to earn an 18-13 road victory.

Notable Players: Von Mabbs ’24 led the Garnet to victory with three goals and three assists. Jackson Brosgol ’23 and Carter Strauch ’24 each had three goals and one assist. Goalkeeper Ryan Pretzer ’26 had fifteen saves. 

Swarthmore College: 15, Stockton University: 11

On Wednesday, March 15, Swarthmore men’s lacrosse defeated Stockton University at home on Clothier Field. After trailing Stockton, 2-3, at the end of the first quarter, the Garnet came back to defeat the Ospreys, 15-11.

Notable Players: Carter Strauch ’24 led the Garnet on offense with six goals. Brothers Von Mabbs ’24 and Rex Mabbs ’26 had two goals each. 

Men’s Swimming:

On Wednesday, March 15, Cole Griscavage ’25, Andrew Karpenko ’24, Joey Lukner ’24, and Cami Wilson ’26 represented Swarthmore men’s swimming in the NCAA National Championships in Greensboro, NC. The Garnet swimmers competed in the 200-yard individual medley (IM) and 200-yard medley relay to kick off the first of four days of competition. Karpenko finished 30th in the 200-yard IM preliminaries with a time of 1:51.50. In the 200-yard medley relay preliminaries, the Garnet finished twentieth with a time of 1:30.81.

Women’s Swimming:

On Wednesday, March 15, Elle Anthony ’26, Kate Hallmark ’26, Cara Lee ’24, Georgi Mathews ’25, Sophie Rotival ’25, Erin Szuromi ’25, Ainsley Jane Tambling ’26, Quinn Weygandt ’26, Gaby Ma ’23, and Ashley Wong ’24 all represented Swarthmore women’s swimming in the NCAA National Championships in Greensboro, NC. The Garnet competed in the 500-yard freestyle, 200-yard IM, 50-yard freestyle, and 200-yard medley relay to kick off the first of four days of competition. Anthony, Ma, Szuromi, and Wong competed in the 200 medley relay preliminaries and finished fourteenth with a time of 1:44.25. In the finals, they finished fifteenth with a time of 1:44.54. Hallmark competed in the 500-yard freestyle preliminaries and finished sixteenth with a time of 4:59.61. In the finals, Hallmark finished sixteenth with a time of 5:00.87. Weygandt competed in the 200 IM preliminaries and finished 42nd with a time of 2:07.95. Rotival competed in the 50 freestyle preliminaries and finished 52nd with a time of 24.29.