Swarthmore Athletics Weekly Recap

Swarthmore Athletics

Swarthmore Men’s Cross Country:

On Saturday, Oct. 29, Swarthmore men’s cross country placed third in the Centennial Conference Championships in Haverford, PA, with three top-10 individual finishes. The Garnet will compete next at the NCAA Regionals on Saturday, Nov. 12, at DeSales University.

Notable Runners: Aidan Cantine ’23 finished fourth overall with a time of 24:48.8, earning All-Centennial First-Team honors. Atticus Hempel ’25 finished eighth overall with a time of 25:02.3, earning All-Centennial Second-Team honors. Will Sheehy ’26 finished tenth overall with a time of 25:06.9, earning All-Centennial Second-Team honors as well. 

Swarthmore Women’s Cross Country:

On Saturday, Oct. 29, Swarthmore women’s cross country competed in Haverford, PA, in the Centennial Conference Championship. The Garnet placed third as a team. They will compete next in the NCAA Regionals at DeSales University on Saturday, Nov. 12. 

Notable Runners: Rose Teszler ’23 finished eleventh overall with a time of 22:46.9, earning All-Centennial Second-Team honors. Olivia Montini ’26 finished twenty-first overall with a time of 23:35.7.

Swarthmore Men’s Swimming:

Swarthmore College: 193, Washington College: 67

On Saturday, Oct. 29, Swarthmore men’s swimming handily defeated Washington College, 193-67, in their home opener. The Garnet bested the Shoremen in 11 of 13 individual events and both relay events. 

Notable Swimmers: Finn Conaway ’24 and Cami Wilson ’26 each had a pair of individual wins. Conaway won the 1000 freestyle with a time of 10:01.78 and the 400 individual medley at 4:19.21. Wilson won the 50 freestyle with a time of 21.29 and the 100 butterfly at 50.34.

Swarthmore Women’s Swimming:

Swarthmore College: 216, Washington College: 45

On Saturday, Oct. 29, Swarthmore women’s swimming dominated Washington College, 216-45, in their home opener. The Garnet won every event against the Shorewomen, with two relay wins and 13 individual victories.

Notable Swimmers: Kate Hallmark ’26, Sophie Rotival ’25, Quinn Weygandt ’26, and Lexi Duffy ’24 each had a pair of individual wins. Hallmark won the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:57.70 and the 500 freestyle at 5:15.30. Rotival won the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:06.70 and 200 breaststroke at 2:26.98. Duffy won the 100 backstroke with a time of 1:00.15 and the 200 backstroke at 2:09.54. Weygandt won the 200 butterfly with a time of 2:11.68 and the 400 individual medley at 4:39.35. 

Swarthmore Women’s Soccer:

Swarthmore College: 1, Haverford College: 2

On Saturday, Oct. 29, Swarthmore women’s soccer competed against Haverford College in their last regular season match. The Squirrels had an early goal in the fifth minute to take the lead. They scored again in the 73rd minute to make the score 2-0, but the Garnet retaliated just moments later with a goal of their own. Ultimately, the Garnet could not find the back of the net again.

Notable Players: Kim Kockenmeister ’23 scored the sole goal for the Garnet, collecting her eighth goal this season.

Swarthmore College: 4, Gettysburg College: 0

On Tuesday, Nov. 1, third-seeded Swarthmore women’s soccer bested sixth-seeded Gettysburg College handily on Clothier Field in the quarterfinals of the Centennial Conference Tournament. Swarthmore scored three goals in the first half to set the tone. The Garnet solidified the win with another early in the second half. They will face second-seeded Dickinson College on Friday, Nov. 4, in the semifinals of the Centennial Conference Tournament. 

Notable Players: Nicte Machado-Aco ’23 had the first Garnet goal in the 24th minute of the match. Kockenmeister, Swarthmore’s leading goal-scorer, tallied two more goals in the 40th and 42nd minutes. Amelia Mounts ’23 had the final Garnet goal in the 55th minute of the match.

Swarthmore Men’s Soccer:

On Saturday, Oct. 29, Swarthmore men’s soccer lost 2-1 against Haverford College in their final match of the season. The Squirrels came out strong, scoring two goals within the first eight minutes of the game. The Garnet retaliated with a goal of their own in the 31st minute. They fought hard until the end but could not find the back of the net again. 

Notable Players: It was senior night for the Garnet, honoring Derek Meuth ’23, Cole Smith ’23, Aidan Cerveny ’23, Max Kral ’23, and Sean Nolan ’23. Joe Eyiolowope ’26 scored the only goal for the Garnet. 

Swarthmore Volleyball:

Swarthmore College: 3, Haverford College: 0

On Saturday, Oct. 29, Swarthmore defeated Haverford College, finishing the regular season on an eight-game winning streak. This win secures the Garnet’s second seed in the Centennial Conference Tournament. The first set was narrowly won, 25-23, but the Garnet overpowered the Squirrels more handily in sets two and three, 25-18 and 25-21 respectively. Swarthmore will host the Centennial Conference semifinals on Friday, Nov. 4.

Notable Players: Kaylee Zhang ’24 had twelve kills and five service aces. Trisha Razdan ’25 had ten kills. Zindzhi Montgomery ’26 had five blocks, and Ellie Streeper ’26 had 24 digs. 

Swarthmore Field Hockey:

Swarthmore College: 0, Haverford College: 1

On Saturday, Oct. 29, Swarthmore field hockey competed against Haverford College for the sixth seed in the Centennial Conference and a postseason berth. In a hard-fought battle, the Garnet were defeated just 1-0 to end their season. They end the 2022 season with a 4-6 record in conference play. 

Notable Players: Quinn Basewitz ’23 had two shots. Cassandra Conklin ’26 made seven saves.