Athlete of the Week: Sean Nolan ʼ23

Sean Nolan ʼ23, a senior from Baltimore, is co-captain of the Swarthmore men’s soccer team this season. Nolan is a center-back who has been instrumental in the Garnet’s defense, yet he also leads the team in assists (three). Against Gettysburg College on Saturday, Sept. 24, Nolan scored his first career goal to tie the game. The goal was from a free kick just outside the box in the 75th minute. Nolan placed the ball over the wall and into the top right-hand corner of the net. The Garnet play next at McDaniel College on Saturday, Oct. 1.

Abby Chang: What are some of the team’s hopes and goals for the season?

Sean Nolan: Our goal from day one was always to compete for, and win, a Centennial Conference Championship. I think that goal is very much still in the picture, but more than that, we want to continue to foster a culture and an environment that our guys and the community want to be a part of.

AC: What has been one of the highlights for the team so far this season?

SN: Our first game of the season we played a rivalry game at Widener, and despite giving up a goal early, we were able to fight our way back to a victory. That showed a lot of mental fortitude and got us on the right track for the season. Also, our freshmen class put on a great performance in that game (shoutout to Toshi Kenney for grabbing his first goal), and I think they are really special players that can come in and make an immediate impact on a program right from the start. 

AC: What is your favorite thing to do with the team outside of practice?

SN: Something the team really enjoys is watching Premier League or NFL games together on weekends, whether it be at the lunch table or someone screening it in a giant classroom in Singer.

AC: Do you have any pre- or post-game rituals?

SN: Yes, on every game day, we usually have a meal together a few hours prior to warm-ups — shout out the apple toss [a game where players toss an apple to one another and catch it with a fork]. Then right before warm-ups, one thing I think is pretty unique and special is that one of our assistant coaches, who is a clinical and sports psychologist, preps us with an exhilarating speech followed by a song that never fails to get us fired up to play.

AC: Why did you choose Swarthmore?

SN: I chose Swarthmore because on my visit, I actually watched the team lose their final game of the season to Haverford, which ended their season that night. In their disappointment, I saw a team that cared about one another more than any other program I had seen, and I knew this team was going to be back for more the next year. It was something I really wanted to be a part of.

AC: Favorite Sharples bar?

SN: Bagel Bar for the white fish!