Weekly Recap

Men’s Baseball

Swarthmore: 14, Montclair State: 5

Swarthmore baseball won their opening game of the season this Saturday, Feb. 19, beating Montclair State 14-5. In the eighth inning the Garnet scored an impressive seven runs to cement their victory. 

Notable players: Luke Mutz ’22 hit 4-for-5, two RBI, three runs, and two base on balls. George Briggs ’22 hit 2-for-4, three RBI, two runs, and one base on balls.

Men’s Basketball

Swarthmore: 86, Gettysburg: 51

Swarthmore men’s basketball celebrated their senior night with a strong 86-51 victory over Gettysburg in their final regular season game. Before the game seniors Abass Sallah ’22, Jared Groff ’22, Ryan Ingram ’22, Conor Harkins ’22, Alec White ’22, and Justin Tucker ’22 participated in senior day celebrations. The Garnet will face Gettysburg again in the Centennial Conference semi-final this Friday, Feb. 25.

Notable players: George Visconti ’23 and Harkins led the scoring with twelve and eleven points respectively, with Tucker and Michael Caprise ’24 also scoring ten points each.    

Women’s Basketball

Swarthmore: 90, Bryn Mawr: 28

Swarthmore women’s basketball dominated Bryn Mawr with a sizable 90-28 win on Thursday Feb. 17. The Owls struggled to score as the Garnet began the match by taking a 13-0 lead that only increased as the game went on. 

Notable players: Kim Kockenmeister ’23 scored a season high of twenty points, including five three-pointers, and Erin Cronin ’22 also contributed ten points. 

Swarthmore: 49, Gettysburg: 61

The Garnet lost to Gettysburg 49-61 in their final home game of the season. Before the game the team celebrated senior night, honoring Erin Cronin ’22. The team finished their season with a 14-11 record, going 10-10 in Centennial Conference. 

Notable players: Dana Bandurick ’23 and Alyssa Hayashi ’25 both scored thirteen points with Bandurick adding another twelve rebounds, completing her 14th double-double this season.  

Men’s Lacrosse 

Swarthmore: 14, Widener University: 12

Swarthmore men’s lacrosse opened their season with a close 14-12 home win over Widener University. The Garnet began the first quarter scoring three unreturned goals and did not relinquish the lead for the remainder of the game.  

Notable players: Von Mabbs ’24 led the scoring with four goals and two assists, with Ben Schaeffer ’22 and Carter Strauch ’24 both adding three more goals each. 

Swarthmore: 12, Eastern University: 9

The Garnet topped Eastern on Wednesday Feb. 23 in St. Davids, PA. Swarthmore trailed Eastern at the half with a score of 3-6, but the Garnet scored six goals in an explosive third quarter to take the lead. 

Notable players: Von Mabbs ’24 led the team with four goals and one assist. Jackson Brosgol ’24 added three goals and two assists, and Quin Seivold ’22 added two goals. 

Men’s Swimming

Swarthmore men’s swimming won their Centennial Conference championship this past week with a final team score of 889, beating second-place host Franklin & Marshall’s with 816. This is the third Centennial Conference title in the program’s history. Before the finals the team honored seniors: Jeremy Rockaway ’22, Horace Shew ’22, Ethan Bergmann ’22, Riley McLaughlin ’22, and Dylan Torrance ’22. 

Notable swimmers: Freshman Andrew Karpenko ’25 was named 2022 Most Outstanding Rookie of the Year (the fourth consecutive Garnet to win this award) and Most Outstanding Performer of the Year — only the third swimmer to pick up both honors in one season. Rockaway won the 200-fly with a 1:49.25 — an NCAA B Cut, Swarthmore, Centennial Conference, and Championship record.      

Women’s Swimming

Swarthmore women’s swimming dominated the Centennial Conference from start to finish this past week to pick up their third title in program history and first in over two decades. The team scored an impressive 950 points (second-place Gettysburg scored 597 points), a Championship history record for both the men and women. It is also the first time in Swarthmore history that the men’s and women’s teams of the same sports have won their conference championships in the same year. Before the finals the team honored seniors: Anna Lyn ’22, Annie Wixted ’22, Dani Gomez ’22, Summer Heidish ’22, Alexa Specht ’22, and Riley Thompson ’22. 

Notable swimmers: Freshman Sophie Rotival ’25 won two golds in the 100 and 200 Y Breast and a silver in 200 Y IM. Annaliese Chen ’25 won two golds in the 200 Y fly and 400 Y IM and bronze in the 200 Y IM.      

Men’s Track and Field

Keogh Invitational

On Saturday, Feb, 19, Swarthmore men’s track and field team competed at the Keogh Invitational in Haverford, PA. The Garnet competes in the Centennial Conference Championships this weekend on Feb. 26-27 in Collegeville, PA. 

Notable athletes: Aiden Tomov ’23 earned a first place finish in the mile run, and Aidan Cantine ’23 took second place in the same event. Lukas Irwin ’23 took second place in the triple jump. 

Women’s Track and Field 

Keogh Invitational

Swarthmore women’s track and field competed at the Keogh Invitational on Saturday, Feb. 19 in Haverford, PA. 

Notable players: Rose Teszler ’23 earned a first place finish in the 400-meter run. Nora Blodgett ’22 won the 800-meter run. Adria Retter ’23 took first place in the shot put. 

Princeton Invitational

Three Garnet athletes competed at the Princeton Invitational on Sunday, Feb. 20 in Princeton, NJ. The team competes next at the Centennial Conference Championship on Feb. 26-27. 

Notable athletes: Adria Retter ’23 took second place in the shot put with a throw that ranks first amongst Centennial Conference athletes. Emma Chiao ’22 took third place in the triple jump.  Alyssa Zhang ’24 took fourth place in both the triple jump and long jump events. 

Men’s Tennis

Swarthmore: 9; Muhlenberg 0

Swarthmore men’s tennis did not lose a single match in a decisive victory over Muhlenberg on Saturday, Feb. 19. The Garnet improved to a 2-0 record, and the team next faces Ursinus and NYU in two home matchups on Saturday, Feb. 26. 

Notable athletes: Grant Dill ’23 and John Nichols-Daly ’22 earned a win from the first doubles position. Noah Criss ’22 earned a win in the first singles position. Max Pogorelov ’25 also picked up a singles victory in the second position. 

Women’s Tennis

Swarthmore: 9, Immaculata: 0

Swarthmore women’s tennis began the spring season on Saturday, Feb. 19 with a dominant 9-0 performance over Immaculata. The Garnet did not lose a single match en route to the victory and now posts a 1-0 record. The team competes next against NYU on Friday, Feb. 25.

Notable players: Nathalie Williams ’25 and Erica Stutz ’24 earned an 8-0 win in the first doubles position. Williams also picked up another win in the first singles position. Sonia Varma ’22 earned a win in the second singles position.