Weekend Recap

Volleyball

Swarthmore 3, Marymount 2

Swarthmore 3, Lebanon Valley 1

This past weekend, Swarthmore volleyball defeated both the Marymount Saints (11-25, 23-25, 25-14, 25-23, 15-10) and Lebanon Valley (25-23, 17-25, 25-19, 25-19) during their Garnet Quad Match. Against the Saints, Swarthmore was behind 2-0 at the onset of the third set. Despite this setback, the Garnet rallied to win the next three sets. Against Lebanon, the Garnet won decisively in four sets. The Garnet will return to play this Saturday at Salisbury University. 

Notable Players: Jordan Perry ‘24 obtained 16 kills against Marymount, with 41 assists and five digs from Dani Pena ‘24, 13 digs and nine kills from Kaylee Zhang ‘24, and 11 kills from Lucy Fetterman ‘22. Against Lebanon Valley, Sierra Tyson ‘24 collected 53 digs for the Garnet, with Chloe Mayhue ‘23 and Zhang collecting nine and seven digs each. Grace Hegland ‘24 also tallied three serve aces in the game.

Field Hockey

Stevens Tech: 3, Swarthmore: 2

On Saturday, Swarthmore field hockey lost a double-overtime game 3-2 to Stevens Tech. While the Garnet trailed in the first two periods, they tied the game at 2-2 to take it to overtime, at which point Stevens won the game. Swarthmore will host Eastern University at 4:30 p.m. this Wednesday.

Notable Players: Chelsea Semper ‘22 scored the first goal of the game. Alexandra Kelleher ‘24 tied the game with her first collegiate goal. Samantha Meacock ‘22 took three shots on goal, with Grace Twitchell ‘23 and Martina Kampel ‘23 taking two shots each. Aron Lankford ‘22 had 12 saves in the goal, and faced 31 shots during the game. 

Men’s Tennis

This weekend, Swarthmore men’s tennis began their 2021-22 season at the Villanova Fall Invitational. The Garnet ended with a third place and a tenth place finish in the Blue Draw. In the White Draw, the team earned an 11th place finish. Swarthmore will compete again on October 1st in the ITA Regionals. 

Notable Players: Charlie Force ‘25 and Rushil Patel ‘24 took third place in the Blue Draw after defeating Thomas Hu and James Yu from Johns Hopkins, respectively. Force won his singles match 8-2, with Patel taking his match 8-6. Stephen Wong ‘23 and Noah Criss ‘22 placed tenth in the Blue Draw. In the White Draw, Phil Rehwinkle ‘24 and Grant Dill ‘23 finished in 11th place, defeating Loyola (Md.) 6-2 in doubles.

Men’s Golf

This past weekend, Swarthmore’s golf team opened the 2021-22 season at Old Homestead Golf Club. Placing fourth among 11 teams, the Garnet shot a 605 on the par-72 course. The team will compete at the Frederick W. Anton III Memorial Invitational on Sunday, September 19.

Notable Players: Ankur Malik ‘22 carded a score of 150, tying for seventh in the tournament. Michael Brown ‘22 shot the most birdies on the team in this tournament.

Women’s Soccer

Swarthmore: 1, Stevens: 1

On Sunday, Swarthmore women’s soccer traveled to Hoboken, NJ, battling and tying with Stevens Institute of Technology. After scoring off a free kick in the second half, the Garnet went into two overtimes. Women’s soccer now has a record of 1-1-1 and will face Johns Hopkins on Wednesday, September 22 in Baltimore.

Notable Players: Veronica Gibbons ‘23 scored the sole goal of the game off of a free kick from Keren Maze ‘25. Kim Kockenmeister ‘22 had two shots in the second overtime. Allie Zitelli ‘25 had two shots on goal.

Men’s Soccer

St. Mary’s: 1, Swarthmore 0

Swarthmore men’s soccer lost their first game of the season against St. Mary’s College on Sunday at the Seahawk Classic in Maryland. Facing St. Mary’s the day after their cancelled game against Salisbury, Swarthmore was not able to score after St. Mary’s goal in the first half. The Garnet will next travel to Baltimore, MD on Saturday, September 18. 

Notable Players: Joe Barile ‘22 broke free multiple times on the left side during the game, taking three shots on goal. Connor Gill ‘22, Charley Ward ‘22, and Bless Tumushabe ‘23 all took two shots each on goal during the game.