Guide to Women’s Basketball Players, Administrators, and Employees

N.B.: Many former and current women’s-basketball-affiliated people who have spoken with The Phoenix have asked for anonymity because of the sensitive and personal nature of these articles. Their names are in quotation marks.

Former Vassar players:

• “Eve”: the original poster of the Vassar’s Survivors Instagram post. Class of 2012.
  • “Alison”: former manager of the Vassar women’s basketball team and friend of “Eve.”
  • “Felicity”: Walk-on player during one of Signor-Brown’s first seasons coaching. Left the team after one season.
  • Naomi Johnson: Left the team after one season. Class of 2016.
  • Zoe Walker: Left the team after two seasons. Class of 2017.

Current and recently graduated Vassar players:

• Samarah Cook: played all four years, was team captain for two years. 2019 EOAA-Title IX complainant. Class of 2018.
  • Julia Roellke: Filed a formal Title IX complaint in 2019 against Signor-Brown rooted in financial disparity of the men’s and women’s basketball teams. Class of 2019.
  • Maeve Sussman: played all four years, was team captain for one year. EOAA-Title IX complainant. Class of 2019.
  • “Adria”: Left the team after three seasons. Class of 2020.
  • “Alice”: A current upperclassman Vassar student and women’s basketball player. Class of 2021.
  • “Shakti”: a current upperclassman Vassar student and women’s basketball player.

Swarthmore women’s basketball players:

• “Audrey”: an upperclassman women’s basketball player.
  • “Meg”: an upperclassman women’s basketball player.
  • “Beatrice”: an underclassman women’s basketball player.
  • “Amanda”: an underclassman women’s basketball player.

Swarthmore administrators and employees:

• Candice Signor-Brown: current head coach of the Swarthmore women’s basketball team. Coached at Vassar from 2009-2019 before coming to Swarthmore in 2019.
  • Provost Sarah Willie-LeBreton: Swarthmore provost and professor of sociology
  • Bindu Jayne: Swarthmore Title IX coordinator
  • Dean T. Shá Duncan Smith: Assistant vice president and dean of inclusive excellence and community development
  • Adam Hertz: Former director of athletics. Suddenly left Swarthmore after nineteen years in October 2020.
  • Karen Borbee: Head women’s lacrosse coach & interim director of athletics

Vassar administrators and employees:

• Elizabeth H. Bradley: Vassar president since 2016.
  • Michelle Walsh: Director of athletics at Vassar. Class of 1998 Swarthmore alum and 2019 Garnet Hall of Fame inductee.

Anatole Shukla

Anatole Shukla '22 is an Editor Emeritus of The Phoenix. He is from Fort Wayne, Indiana, and studied economics, linguistics, and Russian language while at Swarthmore.

Nicole Liu

Nicole Liu '21 grew up in Hong Kong and Shenzhen, China, but came of age in Boston. She has run out of cool facts about herself. (For more information, consult her bios for the English Liaison Committee, the Writing Center, and maybe the upcoming issue of Small Craft Warnings.)