The Swatter: January 12 – 15

September, Swatter
The Swatter

Vehicle Incident

Date: January 12, 2015
Time: 8:40am
Location: Willets Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to the exterior Willets Residence Hall for the report of a moving truck striking a parked maintenance vehicle. Both vehicles are college owned. No injuries were reported.
Status: Closed

Investigation

Date: January 13, 2015
Time:  11:25pm
Location: David Kemp Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to David Kemp Residence Hall for the report of an unknown individual. Upon arrival, the area was searched with negative results. Information on file for future reference.
Status: Investigation

Investigation Conditions

Date: January 14, 2015
Time: 7:04pm
Location: Roberts Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety received a report from a Swarthmore resident student that an unknown individual had unauthorized access to their room over the break. There are no items missing. Matter under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Emergency Response Drill

Date: January 15, 2015
Time: 9:56am
Location: Parrish Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety Director Hill and Associate Director Pitts conducted a TableTop Emergency Response Drill with the Off Campus Study Department at Parrish Hall.
Status: Closed

Suspicious Odor

Date: January 15, 2015
Time: 11:14am
Location: Beardsley Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety and Facilities responded to Beardsley Hall for the report of a strong, electrical burning odor. Upon arrival, the odor appeared to be centralized to the 1st floor of the ITS department. No cause for the burning odor could be determined. Facilities remained on location to further investigate.
Status: Inactive

Fire Alarm

Date: January 15, 2015
Time: 2:16pm
Location: Willets Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to a fire alarm within Willets Residence Hall. Officers were advised that the alarm cleared from Simplex prior to their arrival. There was no sign of smoke or fire. It was determined that the smoke detector was activated by students using a hair dryer and hairspray too close to the device.
Status: Closed

Fire Alarm

Date: January 15, 2015
Time: 2:21pm
Location: Hallowell Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety respnded to a fire alarm within Hallowell Residence Hall. Upon arrival, there was no smoke or fire. It was determined that a pull station has been accidentally activated by EVS staff.
Status: Closed

Fire Alarm

Date: January 15, 2015
Time: 6:23pm
Location: Alice Paul Resident Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to a fire alarm within Alice Paul Residence Hall. Upon arrival, there was no sign of smoke or fire. It was determined that the alarm was activated due to burnt food. The area was ventilated and the alarm was reset.
Status: Closed

Vandalism

Date: January 16, 2015
Time: 10:51am
Location: Black Cultural Center
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to the Black Cultural Center for the report of waste material that was placed inside a vase. Matter under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Burglary/Unlawful Entry — No Force

Date: January
Time: January 16, 2015
Location: 2:49pm
Synopsis: Public Safety received a report from a Swarthmore resident student about the theft of items from their room within Mertz Residence Hall. The theft may have occurred over break. The value of the items is $235. Matter under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Fire Alarm

Date: January 16, 2015
Time: 10:44pm
Location: Parrish Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety and Facilities responded to Parrish Hall for the report of a water flow alarm. Upon arrival, the area was checked for water with negative results.
Status:  Closed

Public Drunkenness

Date: January 17, 2015
Time: 6:05am
Location: Willets Residence Hall
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Willets Residence Hall for the report that a Swarthmore resident student was injured. Upon arrival it was determined that the student had been consuming alcohol and had been injured. The student was escorted to the hospital. Matter referred to the Dean’s Office.
Status: Dean’s Referral

Investigation

Date: January 18, 2015
Time: 10:35pm
Location: 805 Harvard Avenue
Synopsis: Public Safety responded to Mary Lyons Residence Hall for the report from a Swarthmore resident student about damage to boxes in secure storage. The matter is under investigation.
Status: Investigation

Allison Hrabar

Allison is double major in Political Science (Honors) and Film and Media Studies. When not working for The Daily Gazette, she cajoles people into watching the The Americans (Wednesdays at 10:00p.m. on FX).