Sports Roundup: September 4-23

Women’s Soccer

9/6/14 v. Wesley — W 4-1

Senior Emma Sindelar matched two program records by recording a goal and adding an assist as the Swarthmore College women’s soccer team cruised to a 4-1 victory over Wesley on Saturday, Sept. 6 at Clothier Field.

Swarthmore dominated from the start and got on the board in the 14th minute when Sindelar finished a pass from junior Melissa Trofa. After a lightning delay that stopped play in the 34th minute of action, the Garnet carried a 1-0 lead into the break.

Wesley (2-1) managed to net the equalizer early in the second half when Breonna Day chipped a shot that was tipped by junior goalkeeper Caela Long and bounced off the crossbar before landing in the back of the net. It was only the first goal surrendered by Swarthmore this season.

The Garnet, however, answered less than three minutes later in the 57th. Sindelar, who had an open look from the right side, rocketed the ball off the left post before freshman Katie Doughterty finished the play with a shot on the open goal to give Swarthmore the lead back for good. Sindelar also matched two program records on the play by recording her 75th career point and 15th assist.

Swarthmore, which held a commanding 34-4 advantage in total shots, continued to keep the ball in its offensive third and tallied two more goals before the match was called early with 9:33 left in regulation due to another lightning strike. Dougherty netted her second goal off of a corner kick taken by Trofa before sophomore Caroline Khanna punched in a rebound of an initial shot taken by senior Ellen Bachmannhuff.

Swarthmore’s Long picked up the victory between the pipes, while Wesley’s Nasia Denegal suffered the loss despite making 14 saves.

Notes: Emma Sindelar matched program records for career points (75) and assists (15), which have been held by Megan Colombo ’10 and Kirsten Peterson ’10, after recording a goal and a helper in tonight’s match.

9/13/14 @ Rowan — L 4-1

Sophomore Mele Johnson scored her second goal this season, but rain and muddy conditions combined to work against the Swarthmore College women’s soccer team in a 4-1 loss to Rowan University on Saturday, Sept. 13 at the Rowan Soccer Field.

Rowan (4-2) took the lead midway through the first half with a goal by Erika Suhl in the 21st minute. Suhl was the lead scorer of the game, accounting for three of Rowan’s four goals. The lone goal scorer from Swarthmore (3-1) was sophomore Mele Johnson, who scored off a free kick from 20 yards out six minutes into the second half.

Junior goalkeeper Reba Magier had one save in the first half, preventing Suhl from taking the early lead. Classmate Caela Long replaced Magier in the second half, allowing three goals but making two saves.

Swarthmore freshman Katie Dougherty had three shots, including one that was narrowly saved by Rowan goalkeeper Carleigh Trivino. Junior Melissa Trofa had two shots on goal. Trivino made six saves on seven shots, holding Swarthmore (3-1) to just one goal.
9/16/14 @ Immaculata — W 7-0

Sophomore Hannah Lichtenstein scored twice and freshman Katie Dougherty added a goal and an assist as the Swarthmore College women’s soccer team rolled over Immaculata University in a decisive victory on Tuesday, Sept. 16 at the Immaculata Soccer Field.

Swarthmore (4-1) was quick to light up the scoreboard against Immaculata (0-5) in just the 11th minute when sophomore Mele Johnson capitalized on her own rebound on a breakaway to score the first goal of the game. Swarthmore further extended its lead with an off-the-crossbar shot from junior Amanda Bosworth in the 18th minute.

At the half, the Garnet led 5-0 by getting two consecutive goals from Lichtenstein and an assist from junior Melissa Trofa. The fifth goal of the half was scored by senior Rehana Omardeen with an assist from classmate Amy DiPierro.

Swarthmore scored two more times late in the second frame, with a goal from freshman Sarah Hancock and assist from Dougherty, who then scored the final goal of the match.

The Garnet dominated the game with a 44-7 shot advantage. Immaculata’s goalkeepers had 16 saves; four by Meghan McCurnin in the first half and 12 by Elizabeth McBride in the second. Swarthmore junior goalkeeper Reba Magier had three saves, while classmate Caela Long had two.

9/20/14 vs. Franklin and Marshall — W 3-0

Senior Emma Sindelar broke two school records and matched a third program standard to lead the Swarthmore College women’s soccer team to a 3-0 victory over Franklin & Marshall on Saturday, Sept. 20 at Clothier Field.

The Garnet wasted no time getting on the scoreboard, as Sindelar sent a cross to the far post that was finished by senior defender Elyse Tierney just two minutes into the match. Sindelar broke two school records by registering her 16th career assist and 76th point on the play.

In the 20th minute, Sindelar doubled the Garnet advantage and matched another school record by recording her 31st career marker, which tied her for first on the program’s all-time list with Megan Colombo ’10. The senior took a through ball from sophomore Hannah Lichtenstein and volleyed it over goalkeeper Shannon Johnson-Finn.

The Garnet continued to dominate and apply pressure in their offensive third throughout the second half and netted one more insurance goal to seal the final outcome.  Sophomore Rebecca Mayeda received a pass from Caroline Khanna and fired a shot low to the near post in the 81st minute.

Junior Reba Magier turned away one shot to pick up the shutout win for Swarthmore, whose back line being anchored by senior Ellen Bachmannhuff and junior Amanda Bosworth did not yield a shot on goal until the final minute of the first half. Johnson-Finn of Franklin & Marshall (1-6, CC 0-1) suffered the loss after making four saves in the first half.

9/23/14 @ Washington College (MD) — W 2-0

Sophomore Mele Johnson and freshman Katie Dougherty each found the back of the net for the fourth time this season as the Swarthmore College women’s soccer team earned a 2-0 road victory over Washington College on Tuesday, Sept. 23 at the Lower Bermuda Grass Field.

Swarthmore dominated in every facet of the match during the first half, outshooting the Shorewomen by a count of 15-1 and lighting up the scoreboard twice. Johnson netted her fourth goal of the season, surpassing her total from last year, by finishing a pass from junior Melissa Trofa just 6:37 into the contest.

Shortly before the break, Dougherty doubled the Garnet advantage on a header off a corner kick in the 38th minute. Senior Rehana Omardeen headed classmateEmma Sindelar‘s cross over to freshman Sarah Hancock, who chipped the ball over to Dougherty for insurance. Omardeen and Hancock were both credited with assists on the play.

Junior Reba Magier picked up her second straight shutout victory without having to make a save for Swarthmore, which held a commanding 33-2 advantage in total shots. Magier’s back line being led by junior Amanda Bosworth, senior Elyse Tierney, sophomore Katherine Zavez, junior Emily Telford-Marx and senior Ellen Bachmannhuff has only allowed one shot on target through two Centennial Conference matches. Melissa Barry of Washington College (2-4-1, CC 0-2) suffered the setback despite redirecting 14 Garnet shots.

Swarthmore (6-1, CC 2-0) will look to remain unbeaten in conference play when it visits Dickinson on Saturday, Sept. 27 at 1 p.m.

Men’s Soccer

9/8/14 @ Rowan — W 1-0

The Swarthmore College men’s soccer team remained undefeated by securing a 1-0 victory against Rowan University on Monday, Sept. 8 at the Rowan Soccer Field. The match was rescheduled from Saturday due to thunderstorms.

After a scoreless first half that featured a Rowan goal called back for offside, a yellow card to a Rowan player, and a flurry of long throw-ins and free kicks for the hosts, the Garnet settled in to dominate the early parts of the second half. Limiting the Profs to less possession and fewer set piece opportunities, the visitors began to find rhythm in the middle of the field, threatening the Rowan goal on a handful of occasions in the second half. Despite the limited opportunity, the hosts had another potential goal called back for offside.

In the 80th minute, senior Michael Stewart landed the first and only goal of the match when his free kick was deflected into the lower right corner of the net of the net by a player in Rowan’s defensive wall. The deflection caught Rowan goalkeeper Kevin Vasta leaning the wrong way.

Another flurry of chances in the dying moments of the match – highlighted by a point-blank save on the doorstep by junior goalkeeper Tyler Zon – failed to produce an equalizer for Rowan and allowed Swarthmore to leave the field with a hard-fought road win.

Zon helped keep the team’s winning streak alive by recording his third shutout and saving five shots, including a header in the 90th minute attempted by Rowan freshman Silas Wood. The Garnet have not allowed a goal yet this season. Vasta of Rowan (1-3) turned away four shots in the losing effort.

9/10/14 @ Widener — W 3-2

Senior defender Michael Superdock netted two goals and sophomore Ryan Meuth scored a golden marker in the 105th minute as the Swarthmore College men’s soccer team rolled to a thrilling 3-2 double-overtime victory over Widener on Wednesday, Sept. 10 at Leslie C. Quick Jr. Stadium.

Widener (2-1-1) quickly got on the scoreboard when Malik Krcic headed home a throw-in by Eric Bihlear just 2:49 into the match, but Swarthmore stormed back by getting a pair of goals from senior Michael Superdock before halftime.  The Garnet defender tied the match by heading the ball into the goal off a throw-in the fifth minute of play before taking a feed from junior Alec McClean and finding the back of the net in the 16th to give the visitors a lead they would carry into the break.

Swarthmore, which is ranked 21st nationally by the NSCAA, controlled possession for most of the second half and appeared to be on its way to a fourth straight victory to begin its 2014 campaign. The Pride, however, took advantage of a Garnet foul just outside the box in the final minute of regulation. Nick Sienkiewicz finished a free kick from Tori Remondelli with just 48 seconds left to send the match into overtime.

The Garnet spent most of the extra time with possession in its offensive third. Then, in the 105th minute, sophomore Ryan Meuth headed in the golden goal off a corner kick to lift Swarthmore to its fourth straight victory, including its third by a one-goal margin, to begin the young season. Classmate Billy Evers was credited with the assist on the play.

Junior Tyler Zon made four saves for Swarthmore to earn the victory between the pipes, while Widener’s Dave Sousa also stopped four shots in the losing effort.

9/13/14 v. Wilkes — W 3-0

Sophomore Billy Evers recorded a goal and an assist in leading the Swarthmore College men’s soccer team to a 3-0 victory over Wilkes on Saturday, Sept. 13 at Clothier Field.

Swarthmore, which is ranked 21st nationally by the NSCAA, completely dominated the first half, outshooting the visitors by a count of 10-0. After junior David Geschwind nearly scored on a breakaway midway through the frame, Evers factored into a pair of Garnet goals in a span of just 23 seconds. Evers first finished his own rebound before working from the left side and sending a short cross that was finished by junior Devon Baughen in the 32nd minute of action.

The Garnet added one more insurance tally in the second half. David Geschwind took a long free kick from 40 yards out that was mishandled by Wilkes senior goalkeeper Patrick Loube and chipped in by classmate Alec McClean.

Junior Tyler Zon earned his fourth shutout victory of the season without having to turn away any shots. Loube suffered the loss in net for Wilkes (2-5) despite making four saves.

9/17/14 @ Richard Stockton — W 2-1

Junior Wyatt McCall and senior Michael Stewart each found the back of the net as the Swarthmore College men’s soccer team earned a 2-1 road victory over Richard Stockton on Wednesday, Sept. 17 at G. Larry James Stadium.

Swarthmore, which moved up to 18th in the NSCAA national rankings this week, scored twice in a span of 7:54 and never looked back. McCall finished a pass from sophomore Billy Evers by firing the ball into the lower right corner of the net to put the Garnet on the board in the 24th minute before Stewart doubled the lead with a laser from outside the box.

In the second half, Richard Stockton (6-2-1) was able to slice the visitor’s lead in half when Anthony Colofranson made his way around the Swarthmore defense and placed the ball in the lower left part of the goal in the 54th minute of action.

Both teams had additional chances to score, including a header by Stewart that went wide, but neither team was able to capitalize on its opportunities the rest of the way. The Garnet only yielded one shot over the final 17 minutes to eventually hold on for their ninth straight victory dating back to last season.

Junior Tyler Zon turned away five shots to pick up the victory for Swarthmore. Bobby Varga, a senior, failed to record a save in the losing effort for the hosts.

9/20/14 v. Franklin and Marshall — W 2-0

Jared Bomba and Janse Schermerhorn each scored late in the second half to lift sixth-ranked Franklin & Marshall to a 2-0 victory over the 18th-ranked Swarthmore College men’s soccer team on Saturday, Sept. 20 at Clothier Field.

Swarthmore (6-1-0, CC 0-1-0) dominated the beginning of the first half and nearly got a goal in the opening minutes from junior Devon Baughen, but a Diplomat defender redirected the junior’s header to keep the Garnet off the board. The game remained scoreless at the half, as sophomore Michael Swantek chipped away a ball in the 45th minute off a shot from F&M’s Carter Spyrka that was recovered by junior Tyler Zon inside the six-yard box.

The momentum shifted by the end of the second period as the Diplomats took control to score two late goals to win the game. Bomba capitalized off a scuffle in the box to put Franklin and Marshall (6-0-1, CC 1-0) ahead 1-0 in the 80th minute. The Diplomats added an insurance tally five minutes later when Bomba sent a cross from the right side to Schermerhorn, who beat Zon to the near post.

Trevor Britton of Franklin & Marshall finished the match with three saves to earn the shutout victory, while Zon turned away four shots in the setback.

Cross Country

9/13/14 — Alumni Meet

The Swarthmore College cross country programs hosted an annual alumni meet on Saturday, Sept. 13 in Crum Woods and around campus. The men’s varsity team defeated the alums for the sixth straight season by a score of 24-37, while the women’s program was victorious by a 23-36 decision.

Jacob Phillips ’13 won the overall title for the third straight year by completing the course in 16:12.  Senior Jonas OppenheimerStuart Russell ’14, and junior Spencer Friske all finished with a runner-up time of 16:49.  Senior Erik Myers rounded out the top five, clocking in at 16:51.

Junior Katie McMenamin was the first female to cross the finish line in 19th place, circling the course in 19:45. Hannah Rose ’12 was the second female and first women’s alum to finish in 21st place, clocking in at 19:59. The two were followed by sophomore Indy Reid-Shaw, senior Liz Tawa and Stephanie Beebe ’12, who all finished together at 20:18.

Notes: The cross country programs highlighted two milestones at this year’s annual event … The number 40 recognized the 40th annual running of the alumni race, while the number 25 honored the 25-year anniversary of the 1989 women’s team which won the first Middle Atlantic Conference championship.

Women’s Field Hockey

9/4/14 @ Richard Stockton — L 6-3

Junior Erin Gluck recorded a natural hat trick, but the Swarthmore College field hockey team was dealt a 6-3 loss against Richard Stockton on Thursday, Sept. 4 at the Stockton Turf Field.

Swarthmore faced a three-goal deficit at the break and a four-goal margin early in the second half before attempting a furious rally. Gluck, the Garnet’s top returning scorer from last season, completed a natural hat trick by scoring three times in a span of just four minutes. The junior finished passes from freshmen Shivani Chinnappan and Clare Perez while also recording an unassisted marker to make it 4-3 in the 47th minute.

Richard Stockton (2-0), however, recovered late in the second half and scored two more times to pull away. Lindsey Treptow and Samantha Barcia each found the back of the cage in the 51st and 60th minutes to seal the final outcome.

Senior Liz Stankiewicz of Richard Stockton picked up the shutout victory in the cage by making four saves. Swarthmore junior Ainsley Parrish turned away 13 shots in the setback.

9/6/14 @ Widener — W 1-0

A late first half goal scored by Eliza Newlin helped propel Widener to a 1-0 victory over the Swarthmore College field hockey team on Saturday, Sept. 6 at Edith R. Dixon Field.

Competing in sweltering conditions, Swarthmore had the first three opportunities of the game to find the back of the net. Sophomores Katherine Ianni and Ursula Monaghan as well as Shivani Chinnappan all attempted shots on target that were saved by goalkeeper Maggie Karmeris. Widener (1-2), however, was able to get the only goal it needed when Newlin finished her own rebound off an initial shot that was redirected by junior Ainsley Parrish.

The Garnet came out firing at the beginning of the second half for the second straight game while attempting to at least net the equalizer. Chinnappan and Perez rifled shots at the cage, but Karmeris held her ground to allow the hosts to escape with the narrow win.

Karmeris finished with five saves in the game to pick up the victory for Widener. The Garnet’s Parrish turned away three shots in the setback.

9/10/14 v. Lebanon Valley — L 7-0

The Swarthmore College field hockey team fell by a 7-0 score against Lebanon Valley at Clothier Field on Wednesday, September 10.

Lebanon Valley (4-0) got an early goal in the first half from Lauren Brumach and never looked back. Lyndee Sheaffer and Brittany Fleisher led the way for the Dutchwomen with two goals each.

Swarthmore had a total of five shots on goal, with four shots coming in the second half. Katherine Ianni led the Garnet with two shots on target, followed by Erin Gluck,Ursula Monaghan, and Clare Perez with one shot apiece.

Junior goalkeeper Ainsley Parrish of Swarthmore had eight saves in the losing effort with seven of them coming in the first half. Freshman Ellory Laning also stepped in during the second half and made three saves. Lebanon Valley’s Sarah DiMaggio and Kendra Moll combined for the shutout.

9/13/14 @ Immaculata — L 6-3

The Swarthmore College field hockey team fell by a 6-3 decision to Immaculata at Draper Walsh Stadium on Saturday, September 13.

The first goal of the game was scored by Swarthmore junior Erin Gluck just over the ten minutes into the first half. But Immaculata then answered with back-to-back goals to take a 2-1 lead into the break.

Less than 10 minutes into the second half, Gluck came up with another goal with an assist coming from freshman Shivani Chinnappan to tie the game at 2-2. The Mighty Macs, however, got four unanswered tallies from Ashley O’Donnell to pull away.

Swarthmore junior goalkeeper Ainsley Parrish had 10 saves during the game and freshman Ellory Laning had one. Immaculata goalkeepers Sarah Pasternak and Gina Rucci finished with a combined three saves.

9/17/14 v. Neumann University — W 3-2

An overtime goal scored by sophomore Ursula Monaghan secured the Swarthmore College field hockey team’s first win of the season with a 3-2 victory against Neumann University on Wednesday, Sept. 17 at Clothier Field.

After suffering a quick two goals by Neumann (2-5), which came out firing within the first three minutes of the game, the Garnet quickly retaliated in the 11th minute. Junior Audrey Allen stole the ball from the Neumann defense and attempted that beat the opposing goalkeeper for her second marker in as many games. SeniorAbigail Lauder then evened the score at 2-2 with her first goal of the season in the 62nd minute that eventually forced overtime.

Assisted by junior Erin Gluck, Monaghan clinched the win for the Garnet just over three minutes into overtime with a game-winning shot to the far post.

Neumann goalkeeper Summer Sklivas redirected four shots, while junior Ainsley Parrish finished the game with a total of eight saves to help secure the Garnet’s victory.
9/20/14 @ Franklin and Marshall — L 10-0

The Swarthmore College field hockey team fell to fifth-ranked Franklin & Marshall College by a 10-0 score on Saturday, Sept. 20 at Tylus Field.

Megan Kelly scored just 44 seconds into the game for Franklin & Marshall (7-0, CC 2-0), which led 6-0 at the break before adding four more goals in the second half. Maria Guarisco, Samantha Porcelli and Melanie Consiglio each scored twice to pace the offense for the hosts.

Junior goalkeeper Ainsley Parrish of Swarthmore turned away 17 goals in the losing effort, with 12 of them coming in the first half.  Freshman Ellory Laning stepped in during the second half and redirected three shots. Allie Morey of Franklin & Marshall made one save.

** The above recaps were provided to The Daily Gazette from the Swarthmore Athletics Communications Office