/

The Daily Gazette’s Weekend of September 21st Athletics Recap

Men’s Soccer:

Peter Maxted '14 was perfect in net for the Garnet

The Men’s Soccer team fought their way to a 1-0 victory against Johns Hopkins in their Centennial Conference opener on Saturday at Clothier Field. Geoff Stewart’s ’15 63rd minute goal made the difference, as the midfielder volleyed home a gorgeous strike from just outside of the area. Peter Maxted ’14 anchored the Garnet defense, recording one save and a clean sheet. The Garnet’s next match will be against Ursinus College on Saturday, September 28th in Collegeville, PA.

Women’s Volleyball:

Danielle Sullivan '14 had 13 kills for the Garnet

The Women’s Volleyball team opened conference play with a resounding 3-0 (25-15, 25-11, 25-22) victory over the Dickinson College Red Devils on Saturday afternoon at Tarble Pavilion. Danielle Sullivan ’14 and Sam DuBois ’16 led the way for the Garnet, tallying their fifth and eleventh double-doubles respectively. The Red Devils gave the Garnet some trouble in the third set, tying the score late in the set at 19, but Chastity Hopkins ’15 and the Garnet took control to close out the game, 25-22. The Garnet return to action on Saturday, September 28th at 1:00 PM at Johns Hopkins.

Women’s Field Hockey:

Nia Jones '14 tallied a goal for the Garnet

The Women’s Field Hockey team suffered a 2-1 defeat on Saturday at Dickinson College. The Red Devils took a 2-0 lead in the first half, netting a goal in the 2nd minute and another in the 28th, before Nia Jones ’14 cut the lead in half in the second period. Gabby Capone ’14 made 12 saves in net for the Garnet. The Field Hockey team has a chance to right their path on Saturday, September 28that 12:00 PM when they take on Johns Hopkins at Clothier Field.

Women’s Soccer:

The Women's Soccer team picked up a point in the draw with Dickinson

The Women’s Soccer team played Dickinson College to a 0-0 draw on Sunday. The game went 110 minutes, with neither side able to to capitalize on a multitude of chances. Swarthmore outshot Dickinson 22 to 16, with Megan Brock ’14 and Emma Sindelar ’15 leading the way. Sophomore goalkeeper Reba Magier ’16 was perfect in net for the Garnet, making seven saves on her way to her team-leading 6th shutout. Women’s Soccer are set to take on Johns Hopkins next Saturday, September 28th at 7:00 PM in Baltimore, MD.