Weekend Recap

Baseball

The seven-game winning streak ended on Friday afternoon for the Swarthmore baseball team (17-7. 5-1), as they dropped their first Centennial Conference game against Haverford in a 5-0 loss. The Fords’ starting pitcher Tommy Bergjans led the team’s victory, pitching twelve strikeouts while allowing only one hit. The eighth inning saw a burst of offensive power from the Fords, who scored four runs to break the 1-0 stalemate since the first inning.

Notable players: Joe Warren ’16 pitched seven innings, tallying three strikeouts while allowing only two hits.

A tough Centennial Conference loss against Haverford on Friday didn’t faze the Swarthmore Baseball team (17-7, 5-1), as they swept Gettysburg on Saturday afternoon with 13-10 and 14-3 victories.

Despite trailing 8-0 in the first game, the Garnet refused to give up, launching a massive comeback against the Bullets starting in the third inning. An RBI hits from Cody Ruben ’14, Tim Kwilos ’13, and a sac fly from Nicko Burnett ’14 pulled the Garnet to within three runs of tying the game. Not to be outdone, the Bullets widened their lead to 10-5 in the seventh inning, but hits by Nick Constantino ’14, Rory McTear ’13, and Danny McMahon ’15 helped the Garnet score four more runs and cut the lead to one. The game-tying hit came from a homerun from Burnett in the eighth inning, the Garnet finally broke the Bullets with and RBI single from Trevor Shepherd ’15 and a two-run double from Constantino.

Riding the momentum from their first victory, the Garnet handily beat the Bullets in the second game, remaining in the lead for the entire game. By the top of the sixth inning, the Garnet were ahead 7-2, and blew the game open in the sixth with seven runs off of eight hits from Joe Rizzo ’15, Zach Powell ’15, Scoop Ruxin ’15, McMahon, Shepherd, Kwilos, and Burnett.

Notable players: Nick Constantino ’14 led the Garnet offense, ending the afternoon with six hits and three runs. Nicko Burnett ’14 scored four runs, two in each game. Matt Bertuch ’14 picked up the win in the first game, pitching the final three innings while allowing only one run. Oscar Leong ’16 pitched six innings in the second game, allowing three runs.

The Garnet will be looking for the next Centennial Conference win, as they host Washington College this afternoon. First pitch is set to start at 3:30 p.m.

Women’s Lacrosse

Against a tough No. 5 Gettysburg team, the Swarthmore Women’s Lacrosse team (7-3, 2-2) suffered a 13-8 loss on Saturday afternoon.

After three consecutive goals from the Bullets, the Garnet answered with their first, coming from Beth Martin ’13. However, the Bullets continued to batter the Garnet, scoring three more goals to close the first half at 6-2.

The second half began in similar fashion, as the Bullets tallied three more goals in the opening minutes of the game. The Garnet quickly picked up their pace, outscoring the Bullets 6-4 for the remainder of the game with goals from Nicole Vanchieri ’13, Corinne Sommi ’14, and Annalise Penikis ‘13, but fell short of the victory.

Notable players: Annalise Penikis ’13 led the Garnet offense with three goals and two assists. Connie Bowen ’16 led the Garnet defense with eight saves as the starting goalie.

The Garnet will travel to Neumann on Thursday, April 11. First draw is slated to start at 7:00 p.m.

Men’s Lacrosse

Gettysburg gave both Swarthmore lacrosse teams trouble on Saturday afternoon, as the Swarthmore Men’s Lacrosse team (3-6, 1-2) also fell to the Bullets with a 12-6 loss.

An early deficit plagued the Garnet, as the Bullets fired off four goals in the first quarter, including the first three of the game. The second quarter saw two more goals from the Bullets, giving them the 6-1 advantage at halftime over the Garnet’s single goal from Braeden DeWan ’16.

The Garnet made an offensive push in the second half, tallying two goals from Andrew Preiser ’15 and Wes Marcik ’13 in the third quarter. However, the Bullets outscored the Garnet yet again, closing the quarter with four goals. Not relenting, the Garnet made an impressive offensive effort in the final quarter, outscoring the Bullets 3-2 with goals from Ian Lukaszewicz ’15, DeWan, and Marcik, but were unable to close the gap.

Notable players: Wes Marcik ’13 and Andrew Preiser ’15 led the Garnet offense with two goals. Ian Lukaszewicz ’15 tallied his 14th goal of the season in the fourth quarter. Jonathan Cohen ’14 led the Garnet defense with nine saves at the net.

The Garnet will travel to Centennial Conference opponent McDaniel on Wednesday, April 10. First draw is slated to start at 7:00 p.m.

Women’s Tennis

Down 2-1 after doubles play, the Swarthmore Women’s Tennis team (7-2, 4-0) rallied for a 7-2 victory over Gettysburg on Saturday afternoon. Lia Carlson ’14, Emily Rosenblum ’13, Kelsey Johnson ’13, Stephanie Chia ’13, Katie Samuelson ’14, and Epiphany English ’14 combined to sweep singles play, while Carlson paired with Brooke Wilkins ’14 to earn the Garnet’s single victory in doubles play.

Notable players: Lia Carlson ’14 was the Garnet’s single double-winner, ending the afternoon with victories in No. 1 doubles and No. 1 singles.

Facing a cruising TCNJ, the Swarthmore Women’s Tennis team (7-2, 4-0) snapped the Lions’ 12-match winning streak with a 5-4 victory on Sunday afternoon. With the outcome seemingly decided by the end of the third game of singles play, with the Garnet trailing 4-1. However, No. 1 through 4 singles rallied for an epic four-game comeback, with hard-fought victories from Stephanie Chia ’13, Lia Carlson ’14, Kelsey Johnson ’13, and Emily Rosenblum ’13.

The Garnet will host Centennial Conference opponent Ursinus this afternoon. The game is set to begin at 4:00 p.m.

Men’s Tennis

After dropping No. 1 doubles with an 8-6 loss for an early 1-0 deficit, the Swarthmore Men’s Tennis team (5-6, 1-1) ran away with an 8-1 victory over Vassar on Saturday afternoon. The Garnet dominated singles play, with Anthony Collard ’14, Max Sacks ’15, Preston Poon ’14, Max Kaye ’14, Irving Stone ’15, and Malik Mubeen ’13 combining to win straight sets.

Notable players: Anthony Collard ’14 and Malik Mubeen ’13 were the Garnet’s two double-winners. Collard paired with Christian Carcione ’14 for the No. 2 doubles victory, and Mubeen captured the win for No. 3 doubles with Daniel Park .

The Garnet will travel to Centennial Conference opponent McDaniel on Wednesday, April 10. The game is set to start at 4:00 p.m.

Softball

Two down-to-the-wire games resulted in a 4-3 victory and a 7-6 loss against Franklin & Marshall, as the Swarthmore Softball team (14-10, 2-6) split the Centennial Conference double-header against the Diplomats on Saturday afternoon.

The first game was suspenseful until the final inning, when the Diplomats tied the game 3-3 in the bottom of the seventh inning after trailing 3-1 in the first six innings. Not to be threatened, the Garnet quickly pulled ahead with a grounder from Nicole Aaron ’14, bringing home Laurie Sellars ’15 for the win.

Similarly, the Garnet and the Diplomats entered the seventh inning of the second game after exchanging runs and leads, with RBI’s from Kate Smayda ’13, Danielle Seltzer ’13, Clara Obstfeld ’16, Chelsea Matzko ’14, and Aaron to give the Garnet a 6-4 lead. At the top of the seventh, the Diplomats rallied with their backs against the wall, scoring two runs to tie the score 6-6 and sending the game into an extra inning. This proved to be the break the Diplomats needed, as their third batter hit the game-winning RBI single to seal the victory.

Notable players: Kate Smayda ’13 led the Garnet offense with four hits, three of which came in the second game. Melissa O’Connor ’14 pitched 14 out of 15 innings for the afternoon, tallying ten strikeouts.

The Garnet play at home again, when they host Eastern this afternoon. First pitch is slated to start at 3:00 p.m.

Men & Women’s Golf

Amanda Beebe ’15 ended the Gettysburg Women’s Invitational at the Hanover Country Club on Sunday with a 177, to finish in fifth place. Andrew Park ’15 ended the afternoon with a 75, tied for first place in the Hershey Cup at the Hershey Country Club. Finishing the first round in the top ten was Sam White ’14, who was tied for tenth place with a score of 78.

The Garnet will next travel to the Glenmaura Golf Club on April 14, to compete in the Glenmaura Tournament.

Men’s Track & Field

Pulling double duty this past weekend, the Swarthmore Men’s Track & Field team competed in the Sam Howell Invitational at Princeton on Friday, and the Osprey Open at Richard Stockton on Saturday.

On Friday, Jacob Phillips ’13 finished the 10,000-meters in 31:23.79, shattering his personal best by 16 seconds and hitting the ECAC qualifying mark.

On Saturday, Erick White ’15, Jonas Oppenheimer ’15, Paul Green ’16, and Aidan DuMont-McCaffrey ’13 finished first, third, sixth, and seventh respectively in the 800-meters. Matthew Heck ’13 crossed the line for seventh place in the 200-meters, breaking the season-best record with a 23.42 time. Dan Creem ‘16, Dan Kalamarides ‘14, and Spencer Friske ’16 finished fifth, seventh, and eighth respectively in the 1,500-meters. Rounding out the top-ten finishers, Ethan Lee ’16 teamed with Heck, Martinez, and White for second place in the 4×400-meter relay.

The Garnet will travel next to Moravian for the Moravian Invitational on April 13. Competition is slated to begin at 10:00 a.m.