‘Cause We Like To Party: Halloween Edition

It’s the week of Halloween, everybody! You know what that means, right? The Halloween party is right around the corner! Let’s pop some bottles in anticipation. Now, when thinking about what I was going to write about this week I said to myself, “Slam, there is no way you cannot make a list of Do’s and Don’ts for this Halloween weekend!” So lets jump right into it, shall we?!

Do’s

1. Look Good, Feel Good: Halloween is one of the very few nights of the year in which you can probably dress scandalously with no (or very little) judgment. If you are confident enough to don very little clothing, please do so! If you are super creative, I suggest you really have fun with your costume! It’s meant to be a lot of fun. Keep in mind, you’re going to be at a party with 18 to 20-somethings and hormones will be raging, so try and look good. It will be such a confidence booster knowing that you’re leaving to go to this party looking and feeling amazing. Why not let some of those eyes at the party be looking at you?

2. Get Ready With Your Clique: Being with your clique before the Halloween mayhem begins will probably be some of the most fun you will ever have during your time here at Swat. Getting those finishing touches on your costume, while people are smiling, laughing and having a great time is a really beautiful moment. Not to mention, looking back at all the love being captured through all the pictures taken will make the memories so much sweeter. And let’s not forget that it will probably be some of the last wholesome moments you will have before the ratchet night begins.

3. Play to the Theme: If you’re dressed as a police officer, try some corny pick-up lines that have to do with the costume! If you’re going to be an Italian Mobster, really channel Tony Montana and tell someone to say hello to your little friend (sexual pun not intended). It will be hilarious and it will really show that you like to have a little fun. You’d be surprised by the amazing things you can say when you really adopt your Halloween persona.

Don’ts

1.   Blaming Too Much on the Goose: Newsflash! There will probably be alcohol wherever you go. It’s college. Drinks will be around and you’re going to be feeling great because it’s Halloween. Please, do not overconsume, because being sloppy is never a good look. Not to mention, when you’re dancing, you want to have some control of your limbs. And when you can’t remember where you put your phone, ID, keys, etc., you’ll start to panic and emotions will become uncontrollable. Keep in mind that you want to remain cognizant of your surroundings. So please, don’t blame too much on the goose.  You don’t want to be that person hugging the garbage can in the corner of Sharples.

2.   Being Too Cool to Dance: If you’re going to show up, dance! You don’t look cool standing by the window acting like you’re too cool for a Swarthmore Halloween party. If you’re going to show up to a party, then party! You end up looking like a jerk and no one is going to want to be around you if you choose to stand with your hands on your hips or your arms crossed on the side of Sharples. It’s annoying to see. Catching your breath after tearing up the dance floor or even trying to find somebody is totally allowed and acceptable, but if you haven’t moved from that spot for over an hour, you need to leave.

3.   “If I Don’t Go Home With Someone, I Lose”: That is the absolute worst mindset to be in! Never have that be your goal. This is the most important don’t! It is crucial that you make sure you have fun first and foremost. Be with people you love. Go hard in the paint with those loves! Tear up the dance floor with your clique and don’t stop ’til you’ve had enough! Have all the fun and if someone would like to continue that fun with you all the way to the bedroom, then that’s the icing on the cake to a great Halloween night.

With all this said, I encourage you all to be safe and have all the fun! Halloween should be a fun experience for all, so let’s try to make that happen. And remember, when in doubt, channel King Beyonce and tell yourself “I may be young, but I’m ready.” Have a fun Halloween, y’all!