Senior Class Officers Announce Plans for Oktoberfest, Quizzo Pub Nite

The Senior Class Officers have two jobs up until graduation: fundraising for the senior class, and making sure that the senior class has as much fun and time together as possible. If the rest of the school also has fun and togetherness as a byproduct, all the better. Our most well-known fundraiser is, of course, Pub Nite, which happily accomplishes both of our goals.

We’re not going to do much in terms of innovation with Pub Nite: it’s a tradition, and we’re going to keep it traditional.What differentiates Pub Nite from other Swarthmore parties is that it’s a weeknight party, not a dance party. Our philosophy is that there needs to be a party where you don’t (generally) come to grind, but where you come to talk to people and meet people and put your arms around your friends and sing and sway. We’re trying to facilitate that kind of atmosphere by keeping the lights on at the end and favoring Pub-Nitey songs over clubby songs.

It is easy to forget, but the purpose of these parties  is to fund senior week and commencement events. According to Myrt Westphal, that means we need to raise $6,000 to $10,000. The fundamental purpose behind all of our parties it to make earn a profit to fund senior class events. The leftover money post-commencement goes towards our first class reunion.

In hopes of raising the money, we are planning a few other fundraisers as well. The first upcoming one is Oktoberfest, a seniors-only event. We’re hoping to provide enough to draw all the different kinds of people that make up the senior class, from good beer to traditional German dances to great music; a few speakers in partnership with the administration will then get the ball rolling on what we as a senior class need to accomplish before the end of the year, and how we’re going to do it. We intend to hold this event in the courtyard between Olde Club and the WRC, weather permitting. We are also planning wine-and-cheese parties, a St. Patty’s Day party in the spring, and Quizzo and Spelling Bee Pub Nites. If you have any questions, suggestions, or concerns, please e-mail one of your class officers and let us know!

Your Senior Class Officers,

Elan Silverblatt-Buser
Joe Willens
Nick Rhinehart
Maia Gerlinger

1. “…there needs to be a party where…you come to talk to people and meet people and put your arms around your friends and sing and sway.”

Way to go, senior class officers – remind us what the True Meaning of Pub Nite really is. Looking forward to Pub Nite, and the rest of your events.