2011 Men’s Cross Country Season Preview

With the return of its top five finishers from last year’s fourth-place Centennial squad, the Swarthmore College men’s cross country team enters the 2011 season with high hopes that it can challenge perennial Conference powers Haverford and Dickinson during the 2011 season.

Coming off its best Centennial finish since 2006, the Garnet hopes that its cast of returning standouts and a deep and talented first-year class will help the squad exceed its rising expectations.  Senior Chris Wickham, who finished fifth for the Garnet at the Centennial Championship meet last season, will contribute with his leadership both on and off the course and will direct a talented quarter of juniors who paced Swarthmore all year long in 2010.  John McMinnJacob PhillipsBill King, andAidan DuMont-McCaffrey consistently cracked the top five for the Garnet, and McMinn (25:57.80/21st) and Phillips (25.58.30/22nd) were the Garnet’s top two finishers at the Centennial Championship meet and the NCAA Mideast Regional meet (26:47.3 and  27:08.4).  Big things are also expected from Robert Fain ’14, who finished the 2010 season strong as the Garnet’s third-best finisher at the Centennial meet (26:12/29th )

In his 12th season at the helm, head coach Peter Carroll has brought in his third consecutive large and skilled freshmen class, who should flourish under the leadership of the veterans.

The Garnet open the season at the Bryn Mawr Invitational on September 2. Other highlights of the schedule include the Main Line Invite, the Dickinson Long/Short Run and the Paul Short Run.  The Centennial Conference Championship, hosted by Dickinson, is scheduled for October 29.

2011 Centennial Conference Preseason Coaches’ Poll

Men’s Cross Country  (# of 1st place votes)
1. Haveford (5)……………61
2. Dickinson (4)…………..60
T-3. Johns Hopkins…………45
T-3. Swarthmore……………45
5. Muhlenberg……………..35
6. Gettysburg……………..31
7. Franklin & Marshall……..21
8. Ursinus………………..16
9. McDaniel……………….10

Reprinted from August 22th with permission from the Swarthmore Athletics website, here