Weekend Round-up: DJs and One-Act Plays

‘Sup, Swatties? It’s Friday, again, which means it’s time for another Weekend Round-up! This weekend is going to be sunny and cool, so grab your sweaters (and maybe a soccer ball or Frisbee) and get outside! Or, you could perhaps attend some of these indoors events!

Campus-wise, there are some pretty neat things happening this weekend. There are a lot of music-centric events in particular. Girl Talk will perform on Saturday in LPAC from 8:00PM – 11:00PM (doors open at 7:30PM), but I’m sure you already knew that. Afterwards, from 11:00PM – 2:00AM, Philly’s own Chiddy Bang and DJ Xaphoon Jones will perform at Phi Psi. Come to Lang Concert Hall tonight, Friday, from 8:00PM – 11:00PM, to hear Sixteen Feet, Swarthmore’s oldest all-male a capella group, perform with the Princeton Tigerlillies. Also performing tonight are Blank Dogs, Little Little Girls, and Handglops, a project by Swat alum Pat Kodology ’09 that you can read more about here. This concert will take place at Olde Club from 10:00PM – 2:00AM tonight.

The newly formed Oriental Dance Coalition, sponsored by the Arabic Section of the Language Department and the Middle Eastern Cultural Society, will host the first belly-dancing session of a weekly occasion tonight from 7:00PM – 8:30PM. It is not a class but a group of dancers who will get together to practice and learn from each other. There will be no formal teaching. It happens in Kohlberg 302, and if you happen miss tonight, fear not, there will be other sessions on Wednesdays 4:00PM – 5:30PM and Saturdays 10:00AM – 11:30AM.

Drama Board’s One-Act Play Festival shows this weekend, featuring “Terminating or Sonnet LXXV or ‘Lass meine Schmerzen nicht verloren sein’ or Ambivalence,” by Tony Kushner and directed by Kari Olmon and Adam Rosenberg; “Fifteen Minute Hamlet,” by Tom Stoppard and directed by Alex Enriquez; and “Self-Exposure,” written and directed by Roshe Anderson. The show opens Saturday at 2:00PM in SCI 101, and there will be a second showing at 8:00PM, same drama-place on Sunday.

Off-campus-wise, tonight the Imani Winds will explore Afro-Cuban, Czech, Brazilian, American, and Argentinean pieces at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Sponsored by the Philadelphia Chamber Music Society, Imani, which means “faith” in Swahili, was created in 1996 to bring together European and African musical traditions in a traditional wind quartet. In 2006, they were nominated for a Grammy for their album The Classical Underground. Tickets are $10 for students. More information can be found here.

EgoPo, a classic theatre company committed to revitalizing the great classics, presents Endgame, a play by Samuel Beckett. From EgoPo’s website, “Torturous fleas and an elderly couple living in trash cans create the landscape for Beckett’s famed post-apocalyptic comedy. Tragic beauty and humor are woven perfectly together in this extraordinary vision of family life.” Performances this weekend will happen tonight and tomorrow night at 8:00PM and on Sunday at 5:00PM at St. Stephen’s Theater. The show closes Nov. 15.

UPenn is sponsoring some pretty sweet arts events this weekend, too. The Front Row Theatre Co. will stage Jean-Paul Sartre’s “No Exit” from 8:00PM – 10:00PM tonight and tomorrow night in the Class of ’49 Auditorium in Houston Hall (3417 Spruce Street). Tickets are $10. Bloomers, a UPenn all-female musical and sketch comedy group, present The Godmother: A Bloomers Show You Can’t Refure tonight and tomorrow night at 8:00PM at the Prince Theater at the Annenberg Center. More information here.