Unspooky Spectacles

Happy Halloween, Swatties! Not everyone can enjoy a haunted house or horror film festival. Aside from all the spooky festivities, there are many other fun events that will be taking place on campus and in Philly.

Tonight, Deshi is hosting writer Vasugi Ganeshananthan for a reading and talk of her novel, Love Marriage. From her website, “Yalini, the daughter of Sri Lankan immigrants who left their collapsing country and married in America, finds herself caught between the history of her ancestors and her own modern world. But when she is summoned to Toronto to help care for her dying uncle, Kumaran, a former member of the militant Tamil Tigers, she is forced to see that violence is not a relic of the Sri Lankan past, but very much a part of her Western present.” The event will take place in Science Center 199 from 5:30 – 7:00PM.

Playing at Olde Club tonight are Mount Eerie and No Kids. Mount Eerie is a Washington-based one-man act that uses lo-fi analog sound to create intimate and dramatic music with orchestral effects. The concert will begin around 10:00 PM. Opening tonight is this semester’s Drama Board Mainstage Show, Outrage. Directed by Dustin Trabert ’10, the show is comedic and complicated. There are four interacting stories and timelines, the most modern of which focuses on a student working on his thesis. The play explores the nature of revolutionary thought. For more information, you can read the Gazette’s preview. The play will take place in the Pearson-Hall Theater in LPAC, and showtimes are 8:00PM tonight, 6:00PM tomorrow night, and 2:00PM Sunday afternoon.

Three campus sports events take place tomorrow. Swarthmore’s Field Hockey team plays their last home game of the season against F&M; at 1:00PM. Get there a little early because they will honor their graduating seniors starting at 12:45PM. Also playing their last home game against F&M; on Clothier Field will be the Swarthmore Women’s Soccer team. Starting at 7:00PM, they, too, will honor their graduating seniors. The Swat Volleyball team is also honoring their seniors with a last home game against F&M;, and this will take place at 1:00PM at Tarble Pavilion.

Art lovers should see the Henri Matisse and the Shopping in Paris: French Fashion 1850-1925 exhibitions at the Philadelphia Museum of Art’s Perelman Building before they close on Sunday. With student ID, you can purchase a ticket for admission for only $6.

Latin all-stars Orquesta Herencia De Soneros, in partnership with Artistas y Músicos Latino Americanos, will be performing a free concert at the Kimmel Center tonight, starting at 5:30PM. More information is here. For music lovers who don’t plan to attend the Halloween Party on Saturday night, World Café Live is housing a line-up of Philly musicians for what promises to be a thrilling concert, featuring the likes of progressive jazz/instrumental rock group Agent Moosehead, hip-hop emcee The Last Emperor, groove fusion group Fuzilla featuring G. Calvin Weston, and electronic group Chrome Tongues and Step Brothers. The concert starts at 9:00PM. General admission is $9, unless you come in costume, in which case, the ticket is $6. More information can be found on the website, here.