Weekend Round-up: Plays and First Fridays

Ah, autumn. The leaves are changing; the air is crisp. This weekend would be the perfect time to get out of the dorms and Cornell and enjoy the new season… except, oh no! Weather Underground has predicted thunderstorms on Saturday and cloudiness on Sunday! Fear not, ducklings, there is more to do, no need to turn tearfully back to your homework.

There are plenty of things to do on campus this weekend. If you’re into sports and are willing to risk the rain, there are plenty of events to spectate. Men’s Rugby is playing UDelaware C-side 1:00-3:00PM on Saturday on the Rugby Field. Men’s Soccer has a game at home against Gettysburg on Saturday from 7:00-9:00PM, and Field Hockey has a game at home against Manhattanville, Sunday from 2:00-4:00PM.

For the artistically inclined, the Department of Theater is presenting tonight the second of three readings of love touched by the plow, the Honors Playwriting Thesis of Sam Goodman ’10. It’s free and will be followed by a question-answer session with the playwright. “Set in the cities and surreal expanses of the human imagination, love touched by the plow is the comic travelogue of two adventurers charting a course through the absurdities and pitfalls of romance and the clichés of the romantic comedy. The two heroes narrate their way in and out of love as the world flies by behind them.” The reading will take place in the LPAC Frear Ensemble Theater from 8:00-9:30PM.

Also going on tonight is the ever-popular Olde Club tradition, the Rose Tattoo Café, a coffee house type of concert where students can sign up to perform musical acts of their choosing. Tonight’s line-up includes the likes of Ben Star ’11, James Robinson ’10, Goodvibes, and Silbia Han and the Sunshine Boys. Check it out at Olde Club from 10:00PM-1:30AM.

Another (awesome) Swarthmore tradition is taking place this Saturday: Psi Phi will make your dreams of slaying pterodactyls come true with their Dactyl Hunt. Armed with foam swords, brave participants are sent off to find and fight these terrible creatures… and maybe win pizza for their efforts. Students looking to join in this epic hunt should meet in Science Center 199 at 7:00PM.

For those willing to venture off of Swarthmore’s campus, Philadelphia’s college scene may have something to offer you. At University of Pennsylvania from 6:30 to 9:30 Saturday night, AID-Philly is hosting a charity concert at the Harrison auditorium, featuring Indian pop band “Indian Ocean.” More info and tickets can be found here. At Temple, Temple Theaters is showing the first production of its 2009-2010 season. Sweet Charity, a jazzy musical, is showing at the Tomlinson Theater at 8:00PM. Sweet Charity was nominated for nine Tony Awards in 1966, including Best Musical. General admission is $25.

Also for the off-campus adventurer, today (Friday Oct. 2) is a Philly First Friday, an event hosted by the Old City Arts Association the first Friday night of every month. First Fridays feature many of Old City’s galleries and shops, attracting crowds of browsers and buys alike. There is no admission fee, and it takes place rain or shine from 5:00-9:00PM. It’s a great and cheap way to explore the arts scene in Philly.