Preview: First Friday in the Ville

Before partying it up on your first weekend back at Swarthmore, you can head to the Ville for its monthly First Friday event. From 5 to 8 PM, local businesses will feature a range of attractions from food to musical performances and various workshops.

The lure of a free drink is irresistible. To celebrate its 20th anniversary, Occasionally Yours is hosting an open house with casual refreshments accompanied by fancy wines and beers – a chance to cleanse your palate from the Natty Light of your first Pub Night. Owners Scott and Theresa Richardson are trading in their popular family pasta night for this free event to attract fresh faces to the Ville’s business district.

After the hors d’oeuvres, catch a main course at the Co-op as sushi is prepared in front of you by their master chef.

To reconnect with your inner child, you can stop by The Creative Living Room’s First Birthday Bash. After they showcase their fall lineup, you can join families for a dance party and indulge your sweet tooth with a birthday cake. But remember – this isn’t Paces. The little ones may have early bedtimes, so the party starts at 6:30 PM.

T. Bumble’s, the peace-loving toy shop, will be holding a workshop in a true Quaker spirit that would make your Peace and Conflict Studies professor proud. They encourage “celebrating ‘whirled’ peace” with a workshop where you can articulate your philosophy on non-violence on your own handmade pinwheel. The pinwheels will then be “planted” on the International Day of Peace, on September 21.

So take a stroll through the Ville tonight and see it dressed to impress. Here’s a full list of events:

Finely A Knitting Party
5-8 pm “Peace, Love & Knit”
Sale and free gift with purchase.
104 Park Ave

Healing Partners Day Spa
5-8 pm “Walk By & Pick Up A Discount Coupon”
11 Park Ave, #A

Occasionally Yours
5-7 pm “20th Anniversary Open House”
10 Park Ave

Paulson’s Rugs
5-8 pm “Sports Medicine & Chiropractic”
100 Park Ave

Renato Pizza
5-8 pm “Pizza & Soda Special”
Free small soda with purchase of 2 plain slices of pizza.
8 Park Ave

Swarthmore Co-Op
5-8 pm “Sushi Party”
341 Dartmouth Ave

T. Bumble’s
5-8 pm “Pinwheels For Peace”
5 S. Chester Road

The Creative Living Room
5-8 pm “Open House & 1st Birthday Party”
6:30-7:15 pm “Happy Birthday Story Hour”
15 S. Chester Road

The Shoppe On Park
6-8pm “Sorrelli Jewelry September Sale”
102 Park Ave