Weekend Roundup: Dancing, Leaves, and Markets

November, autumn’s last hurrah, is a great time to enjoy the Crum, visit Fairmount Park, or find something in season at the Farmer’s Market. For those of you who want to get off campus for a bit, you can also visit two of the city’s most famous markets: Reading Terminal and the Italian Market.

Reading Terminal Market, located next to Market East train station, offers a plethora of foodstuffs, including fresh Amish baked goods and meats, local Bassett’s ice cream, as well as home goods, used books, groceries, and candies.

The Italian Market, located between Catherine and Wharton Street on 9th Street (not far from South Street) is something of a tourist attraction with outdoor grocery stands, herbal remedies, and, of course, water (pronounced “WOO-der”) ice. Best bet for cannolis? Probably Termini’s in Reading Terminal or Isgro’s in the Italian Market.

While you’re in the city, you may as well indulge in a little culture, particularly if you’re interested in dance. The Wilma Theater is presenting BalletX this weekend, their resident dance company. Meanwhile the Koresh Dance Company is also having an artist showcase this weekend. Five artists will perform for ten minutes each with pieces around the theme “I love the 80s.” Finally, for those who just can’t stop the beat—there’s “Hairspray” at the Walnut Street Theater.