Student Council 411: Training for Change, Elections, and the RSD

At Student Council’s first meeting of the academic year, routine (and not-so-routine) matters of starting a new year were discussed.

IC and BCC group leaders will be invited to the Board of Managers Meeting on September 26th to have a discussion with the Board; President Youngjun Heo ’09 will be meeting with these groups tomorrow to discuss what messages they want to present to the Board.

Student Council members as well as representatives from SBC and the IC/BCC communities will be attending a Training for Change session next weekend to learn how to effectively reach out to different groups on campus, and there was some discussion about how to fit 12 hours of training into a Swarthmore weekend.

Also planned for the next week is a meeting with Dining Services to discuss the meal plan updates and coordinate a way to gather student input on the changes. With the absence of Andrea Cornejo ’10, a special election for Campus Life Representative will also be held next week. Platforms are due tonight at 11:59 PM; electronic voting will be open Thursday through Saturday, and Sharples and Tarble voting will take place on Sunday and Monday.

The Appointments Committee has advertised vacancies on the Movie, LSE, Parking, Library and Housing Committees, and applications are due on September 12th.

The 10:1 matching donations campaign from last semester will start again in the 1st week of October; for every dollar donated by Swarthmore students, Gil Kemp ’72 will donate ten dollars towards the no-loan initiative.

Lastly, Student Council had a brief discussion about Reserved Students Digest. Even after nearly a year with the new system, “people are still unhappy… they don’t use the calendar,” said Secretary Liana Katz ’10, and she still has to spend a good part of her day explaining the rules to people. There was discussion about passing the responsibility for the Digest back to the administration so that Katz wouldn’t have to spend hours a day writing and forwarding e-mails, or possibly even switching back to the nearly-anything-goes system of two years ago.

1. I’m not sure if this would help with your calendar problems, but you can use online groups to facilitate discussions and planning. My company, Convos, offers free online groups that are already used by various student organizations and non-profits. Good luck with the new school year.

http://www.convos.com

2. it should NOT be anything goes because then Donna Jo will keep posting her ridiculous announcements.

For those of you who don’t know what ridiculous announcements I’m talking about, on Oct 1 she posted (directly to the list, I believe, since I can’t imagine Liana letting this through):

“Noise exposure has just surpassed aging as the most common cause of
    hearing loss in America. Turn down the volume. Please.
    love, Donna Jo”

Come on, teachers should not have more lax posting guidelines than students!