Lang Center Hosts Grant-Writing Workshops

Margie DuBrow, a visiting instructor, is teaching a grant-writing course at the Lang Center this spring. The course, which is not for academic credit, is “part of the skill-building workshops” that the Lang Center has hosted for the past four years, explained Cythnia Jetter, the Center’s Director for Community Partnerships and Planning. The course is also a requirement for Lang Opportunity Scholars.

The weekly “Effective Grantsmanship” workshops will cover a range of essentials, including “the methods used to conduct a community needs assessment” and “the building blocks of writing a solid action plan before developing a grant proposal,” according to the description. Students “will [also] be matched with a local non-profit agency and will conduct either grant research or write a portion of a grant proposal in partnership with that organization.” Each student will spend 10-12 volunteer hours with his or her assigned agency.

Lois Park ’10, a Lang Opportunity Scholar and a student in this workshop series, finds the experience very valuable for future work in non-profit organizations. She wrote in an email, “I think grant writing is an extremely valuable skill to have. Especially for someone who wants to work with non-profits and NGOs, having training in writing effective grants is an indispensable asset…. Money is often the limiting factor that hinders the plans of many promising organizations.”