Apathy conference planned

Next week, indifferent students of Swarthmore, Haverford, and Bryn Mawr will unite to hold a conference on something or other. “Well, we don’t care what is discussed, really, whatever,” organizer Sally McDonald said. “Some people are going to talk about stuff. Maybe.” No firm schedule was available at press time.

“We’re a little tired, I guess, of people having conferences that seem to demand so much out of us,” McDonald continued. “We won’t really require any ‘engagement’ with issues or ‘further action’ per se. It’s mostly a way to spend our money so SBC will fund us next year. We haven’t done anything this year so far and they won’t give us money for next year unless we spend this year’s.” When asked about next year’s plans, McDonald wasn’t specific. “I don’t know, we’ll do something, I guess.”

The event is co-sponsored by Apathetics Unite of Bryn Mawr and the Who Cares Club of Haverford. The events will be held entirely at Swarthmore, however, and all the members of the Trico community might not make it. “The shuttle schedule is kind of confusing, you know. Maybe we’ll just stay here and read the report in the Daily Gazette or something,” said Who Cares Club president John Chang.

The conference is entirely student-run, though it is co-sponsored by the Department of Psychology. “They said it was fine we put their name on it as long as they didn’t have to do anything,” said McDonald. “We totally understand that.”

The conference will take place next Saturday from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm in the Scheuer Room “unless it’s already booked.” McDonald concludes, “sure, come if you want, whatever.”