Swat summer news roundup

Gil Kemp ’72 pledged $10 million to Swarthmore; funds will be used to endow a biology professorship and construct a guest quarters/entertainment venue on campus as well as a currently undetermined building…African studies scholar Kwame Anthony Appiah, scientist Neil Gershenfeld ’81, and jurist Mary Murphy Schroeder ’62 received honorary degrees as 346 members of the class of 2006 graduated on May 28 at Swarthmore’s 134th Commencement…Associate professor of theater Allen Kuharski won the 2006 Stanislaw Ignacy Witkiewicz Award for his work in “raising awareness of Polish theatrical culture around the world”…the men’s tennis team sprung a pair of upsets to advance to the NCAA Division III quarterfinals before falling to top-seeded and eventual third-place finisher Gustavus Adolphus…four Swarthmore professors retired, including Kenneth Gergen (Psychology–40 years at Swarthmore), John Hassett (Mod. Lang. and Lit.–32 years), Eva Travers (Education–31 years), and Robert Williams (Physical Education–19 years). Dean of the College Bob Gross also retired and is replaced by James Larimore…The Phoenix was chosen as the college’s first ever mascot, though it will not replace “The Garnet” as the school’s nickname.