Falling into a formal

There he is, by the Sharples refreshment stand at six o’ clock, almost every evening. As he chats with friends, you hazard a glance. He comes closer and almost moves his mouth to speak, but instead walks past, obviously interested more in the passing pleasure of Lucky Charms than love. Approach him after class one afternoon on the trip back from Science Center? “Hey.” But before the next three words can reach your mouth you have hit the proverbial brick wall of awkwardness and it hurts.

Well, now is as good a chance as any to meet that Swarthmore significant other. With a slew of events leading up to the Fall Formal on November 19th, it may be difficult not to, in fact. All are sponsored by SAC and already well on the way to fruition.

First, on Monday comes “Speed Dating/Meeting.” Student Events Advisor for the Student Council Emily Nolte tells the Gazette that “We want the formal to have a date format, kind of like high school Prom.” She adds, “Of course this won’t be heteronormative.” From all descriptions, it should be a laid back event; Nolte refers to get-togethers in “Sex and the City” as a template, but one imagines it will be a little more nerdy knowing Swarthmore.

Following the Formal’s “Masquerade” theme, students will have the option of decorating masks the Wednesday and Thursday evenings leading up to the event. A Sharples takeover is also in the works, although the details are still being worked out with staff. As for the dance itself, Nolte says, “It’s gonna be awesome, everyone should be excited about it.”