Math department figures out new (course) numbering system

As of this year, “Math 6A” and “Stat 2,” among other course numbers, have no meaning. In fact, all first- and second-year math courses have been renumbered for the 2005-2006 school year and thereafter, if not revamped content-wise. The former Calculus II series (Math 6A, B, C, D) of half-semester courses has been completely abolished. In its place are full-semester courses that offer comparable material to that of popular combinations of the Math 6 courses.

Professor Stephen Maurer, Math/Stat department chair, explains the changes by pointing out the history of first-semester calculus (Math 15, the course formerly known as Math 5) at Swarthmore. At one time, calculus was taught in colleges only, and was the standard beginning of science majors. The course itself as taught on campus has not changed much since then; however, secondary education has.

Today, because of AP and other forms of advanced credit, most students interested in a natural science major placed out of first-semester calculus (and often half a semester more, justifying the division of Calculus II into halves); therefore the students who ended up in Math 5 were those with either a weak or no calculus background, who often were leaning more towards social science-related majors. The manner in which the course was taught, that is, stressing technical proficiency, became rather inappropriate for its attendees.

Hence, out with Math 5 and in with Math 15. The textbook used is an example of the math department’s new focus for the course. “We’re using ‘Applied Calculus’ [Hughes-Hallett, et. al.], which is less heavy on the algebra and offers more in the way of biology and social science examples,” said Professor Maurer.

As for the old Calculus II series: “It was hard to explain to other departments and students what we were doing,” the professor offers, “and while you could mix and match courses to suit you, there was an administrative concern of professors having to give twice as many exams and keep twice as many grades. More importantly, Math 6B was a whole half-semester devoted to just sequences and series, whereas if the calculus courses were semester-long, the professor could use another week or so for 6A material…the instructors were pedagogically constrained.”

The solution? Students placing into Math 6 could take it as Math 6AB, the complete Calculus II semester, or 6AC, skipping sequences and series and going on to non-major-track multivariable calculus, or 6BD, which exposed them to an unfamiliar topic in mathematics chosen by the professor.

The difference now is that the department offers one combined course roughly corresponding to each of those options: Math 25 (Math 6AB) takes students through second-semester calculus up to an introduction to differential equations. Math 6AC is like Math 23, a survey course through single- and multivariable calculus, and Math 6BD “is more like 6BE,” comments Maurer, “because instead of some variable topic it will mostly cover differential equations.”

The new numbering system (a project that will continue next year with the upper-division courses) stemmed from the changes to Math 5 and 6 as well as the misleading state that the old system was in. For example, Topics in Algebra, number 48, can be taken around the same time as Introduction to Modern Algebra, Math 49. However, while Introduction to Real Analysis is Math 47, one will not find the analogous Topics in Analysis for the next two pages in the course catalog, as Math 85.

“It made Math 85 seem super-advanced compared to Math 47, which is not necessarily the case,” Maurer says. There is hope that these changes will be better for students and faculty alike in the future. For the time being Professor Maurer shares this amusing story: “About three years ago Haverford switched to half-semester courses— they saw what we were doing and said, ‘Hey, that’s a great idea.’ They were pretty shocked when they heard that we were changing our system.”
Orientation- ain’t no vacation

by Jonathan Peters
Gazette Reporter

While some Swatties were still sleeping in until twelve and playing Internet pong far into the night, the freshman class was diligently preparing for the impending college experience. Orientation, a week-long tradition taking place before the first week of classes, provides new students with a taste of campus life and a welcome chance to meet fellow first-years.

While such pedestrian activities as placement exams and departmental meet-and-greets made up the bulk of most days, many freshmen say that their favorite activities were such events as the ice cream social on Tuesday night or the following day’s “Speed Meeting,” a platonic version of the now popular speed-dating phenomenon.

Other memorable events included a tea with College President Alfred Bloom, a faculty panel, and even a waterslide. First Collection featured talks by history professor Pieter Judson, Swarthmore borough mayor Eck Gerner, and President Bloom. Patrice Berry, Class of 2006, also imparted invaluable advice gleaned from her three years of Swarthmore. Many other administrators spoke before the freshman class; College Dean Bob Gross gave the group his memorable mantra, “Whatever you say or do to me, I am still a worthwhile person.”

Between the many lectures, workshops, club meetings, and the challenging freshman registration process, future Swatties spent much time with their Campus Advisors (CAs). These older students trekked to the College a week early to lead activities and tours, as well as to candidly answer any questions about student life. They led the “frosh” through campus tours, computer orientations, and even the all-important swim tests.

Writes CA Lesley McNiesh ’08, “I really looked forward to going to CA events and spending time with our group. It’s a shame orientation week isn’t longer…It was certainly better planned and organized than the orientation for ’08ers-you could tell the Orientation Committee] members put a lot of work into it.”

One of the most memorable experiences for all CA groups was the traditional Trust Walk, which took place on Friday evening. The hour-long walk, during which CAs led very blindfolded freshmen around campus and to a campfire, ended with a new tradition, the communal burning of students’ past faults and foibles (written on shreds of paper), symbolizing the new start first-years hope to make at college.

At night, movies, music, and plays abounded. Thursday’s “Orientation Play,” a satire on MTV’s “Real World” featured original songs, witty dialogue, dance numbers, and even some advice on college. An open-mic at Paces on Saturday night entertained a packed house. Talented freshmen sang, read poetry, recited stories, played guitar, and lead sing-a-longs (who knew that many 18-year olds knew the verses to Billy Joel’s “Piano Man”?). And of course, there were the many dance parties, loud and pulsing with energy, angst, and the occasional cheesy 80s song.

Many remember the week fondly, “They did keep us very busy” says Matthew Tilghman ’09. Freshman Marina Isakowitz ’09 adds, “Next year, definitely get name tags, it makes people less hesitant.” Associate Dean for Student Life Myrt Westphal applauded this year’s efforts, “I think the balance between fun and ‘getting to know each other’ was really there. As always, the freshmen astonish me.”