Swarthmore meets Colombia with DPI conference

Dialogue for Peace Initiatives: Colombia, or DPI, will be taking over Swat Friday through Saturday, bringing together several prominent dignitaries to an open forum where they will be able to freely discuss the current conflict in Colombia and the possibility for peace.

This event is quite unique because it is effectively impossible for such individuals from across the political spectrum such as senators, ambassadors, a presidential envoy, and even filmakers, to have this discussion in Colombia. One of the largest international conferences out there, DPI: Colombia features speeches, panels, and a documentary film showing.

Friday marks the opening of DPI at Sci 101 at 6 pm with Maurice Eldridge and panelist Marta Rodriguez who will be introducing the premiere of a documentary on Colombian families displaced as a result of the civil war. This will be followed by dinner at upper Tarble at 7:30 in which tastes of Colombia will meet the talent of Swat through instrumental and a capella performances (among those performing are Grapevine and Essence of Soul).

The panels will start Saturday at 10:30 am, back in Sci 101, with one called “Armed Conflict and Negotiation.” This panel, to be moderated by political science Professor Raymond Hopkins will discuss the origins of the war and will be followed by a question and answer session.

The second panel, “Negotiation, Reconciliation, Perspectives for Peace,” will begin at 4:30, and will be moderated by Professor Kenneth Sharpe.

It is important that students interested in attending any of these open events first register online at http://dpi.swarthmore.edu/colombia.