Sudan Saturdays help Genocide Intervention Fund

The Genocide Intervention Fund, begun by ten Swarthmore students, is steadily gaining visibility and support. Created to raise money to address the genocide occurring in Darfur, Sudan, money from the fund will be transferred to the African Union Mission in Sudan. The group has begun a Sudan Saturdays in an effort to reach out to students on campus who want to help the Fund but cannot commit more than a couple of hours of their time.

Money from the Genocide Intervention Fund goes to the African Union Mission in Sudan, which is “the only force willing and able to provide security to the victims of the genocide” according to Cara Angelotta ‘05, the publicist for the Genocide Intervention Fund. Because of prevailing insecurity in Darfur, many humanitarian aid groups have left the area. The African Union Mission currently oversees the return of refugees to their homes and the continued supply of humanitarian aid to the area.

Angelotta says short-term plans for the Fund include “…finaliz[ing] a transparent, accountable mechanism for transferring funds to the African Union Mission in Sudan in the coming weeks.” Long-term plans are more ambitious, as the group hopes to go beyond raising awareness of the genocide occurring in Darfur. The group of students in charge of the fund also hope that the fund becomes “a permanent institution designed to support measures to increase security during genocidal crises—crises in which genocide is threatened or is occurring.”

Currently, all members of the Swarthmore community are welcome to help the Fund in any way they can. Students in charge of the Fund have set up an easy way for students to get involved: Sudan Saturdays occur in Trotter 201 at 1:30 p.m. During this time, students can commit as little as half an hour to help write letters for the Fund. Most activities available during Sudan Saturdays are focused on legislative pressure and media-related work. For more information about how to help the Genocide Intervention fund, students can contact Susannah Gund ’08 (sgund1) via email.