Large Scale Event process tweaked, coordinator added

The process of planning for the annual Large Scale Event (LSE) has been changed this year to facilitate organization. Veronica Lim ’07 has been hired in the new position of LSE Coordinator. Previously, the LSE was planned by a coalition committee representing the President’s Office, the Dean’s Office, the Student Budget Committee, Student Council, the Social Affairs Committee and Olde Club. The committee will remain in place, but with a central figure to coordinate planning.

Suggestions for the LSE will be solicited from the student body at tabling in Sharples today and tomorrow. The committee will decide on an event, with the Coordinator participating as another committee member. Student Activities Coordinator Jenny Yim emphasizes that this will allow “students to take ownership and make the event their own.” Previously, the event has been organized in many different ways, mostly questionably efficient. The committee and coordinator are also responsible for Worthstock.

The nature of the LSE is flexible. The traditional choice is a band, though last year’s appearance by comedian Mitch Hedberg drew a large crowd. Hopefully, this year’s event will be smoothly organized and popular through the entire campus. Students are invited to suggest acts at tabling this week.