Storage sale raises impressive amount for charity

The SAC and RA-sponsored storage sale attracted a large crowd of students to the top of Parrish beach yesterday afternoon between 1:00 and 4:00. Post-brunch groups walking up from Sharples stopped by to sift through piles of clothing, furniture, books and anything else that might ever be left behind in a dorm storage room. The persistent and lucky were rewarded with rare finds: a golden-hued bowling ball, a rice cooker, a jaunty blazer, tie and cap ensemble, a vinyl collection of Disney soundtracks. RAs hawked tattered copies of Foucault and highlighted Bio textbooks while those who had delighted in buying bulky bookcases and suitcases searched for friendly help in dragging purchases back to the dorms.

Most items were a dollar, and though furniture and appliances cost a bit more, few had reason to haggle. Nevertheless, the total profits from the sale are considerable: $1445.64. Jyoti Gupta ‘05, who coordinated the sale along with Myra Vallianos ‘05, expressed in an email her thanks to everyone who participated, and noted that there are many items remaining on Parrish Beach free for the taking, though she and Myra will continue to accept donations. All of the proceeds will be going towards ABC House, Gupta said— a local organization that provides housing and support for academically talented high school students from disadvantaged backgrounds (for more information, see www.abetterchance.org).

The Mary Lyon RAs also organized a separate storage sale which took place at ML from 3:00 to 5:00. Wee Chua ’06 affirmed that the ML sale made a little over a hundred dollars, and that these proceeds will be added to the donation being made to ABC House.