Construction Notes: New dorm work continues on pace to finish by end of fall break

The scattered pieces of work left before the New Dorm will be complete are advancing as planned and will likely be finished by the end of fall break, according to Stuart Hain, Director of Facilities. Six lofts still need to have motorized shades installed, a number of rooms lack closet doors, and the first floor lounge is incomplete.

The installation of the shades is the most disruptive activity remaining, and will likely involve moving students’ furniture and using temporary scaffolding. Hain noted that the schedule for the installations will be planned with the students and may occur while many students are off campus for the break.

The ceiling of the lounge is scheduled to arrive by the 30th of September, and will take roughly two weeks to put up. After it is completed, all of the inside elements can be finished.

Landscaping work is scheduled to begin in late September. The storm water runoff system between the dorm and the train station will be done by late September or early October. All of the larger plants planned for the area are tagged at a nursery in New Jersey, and will be transplanted either in the fall or spring, depending on the characteristics of the plant and the season in which the transfer will be most successful.