Thursday, April 26, 2001

Thursday, April 26, 2001
Volume 5, Number 125

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Dean of Admissions finalists named
2) The inside scoop on housing, Part III
3) World news roundup
4) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) IM Basketball results
2) World sports roundup
3) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Sunny. High 64.
Now that the lotteries are finished, there’s just one more event in the housing season:

Tonight: Clear. Low 46.
The Jealousy Game – to be held from now until the end of next year.

Tomorrow: Sunny. High 70.
Let the bitterness begin!

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Chicken pot pie, homemade biscuits, baked pasta with spinach, *vegetable ragout, spinach, vegetable blend
**Fajita bar

Dinner: Beef stroganoff, buttered noodles, garden burgers, *tofu creole, succotash, vegetable blend
**Patty-grilla bar

NEWS REPORT

1) Dean of Admissions finalists named

The Search Committee for the new Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid announced yesterday that it has selected two finalists for the position. They are Nancy Cable and Janet Rapelye.

Nancy Cable has been the Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid at Davidson College since 1992. Before that she held a variety of administrative and teaching positions at Denison University, the University of Virginia, and Guilford College. She earned her A.B.degree (1975) with a major in history from Marietta College, Ohio, her M.A. from the University of Vermont, and a Ph.D. in Educational History from the University of Virginia.

Janet Rapelye has been the Dean of Admissions at Wellesley College since 1991. Before that she served in the admissions offices at Williams, Stanford, and Bowdoin. She earned her A.B. degree from Williams in 1981, majoring in English and a member of the varsity ski team. She earned her M.A. degree in the Social Sciences in Education at Stanford.

Janet Rapelye will be on campus on Wednesday, May 2nd. All members of the faculty and staff are invited to have lunch with her between 12:00-1:30 in Tarble. Students are invited to talk with her from 4:30-6:00 (with refreshments) in Parrish Parlors.

Nancy Cable will be here on Tuesday, May 8th. Faculty and staff are invited to have lunch with her between 11:45-1:15 in the Scheuer Room, and students are invited to talk with her from 4:30-6:00 (with refreshments) in Parrish Parlors.

The housing lottery is officially over though, as usual, not every student has a place to live yet. However, Dean Myrt Westphal announced last night that this year’s waiting list is the smallest in school history.

At Wednesday’s rising sophomore lottery, which lasted only two hours, a cheer went through the crowd when it was announced that ML was closed, as many thought it was better to be on the wait list than have to choose one of the last rooms.

A waiting list started at number 967 for men and was filled by 17 men and one woman. Seven upperclassmen are waiting for singles. More people may be added to the list as bills are cleared and those who didn’t attend the lottery emerge.

Westphal is unsure why the waiting list is so skewed with respect to gender. One housing committee member suggested that more women blocked this year. As usual, they won’t start allocating rooms designated for new students until the freshman class levels off, so it may be some time before those on the wait list know where they’re going to live next year.

3) World news roundup

Bob Kerrey, the ex-senator and governor who spoke at Swarthmore earlier this month, announced yesterday that he led a team of Navy Seals in the killing of 13 civilians during the Vietnam War. The announcement came in response to an upcoming New York Times Magazine that contains testimony from a member of the team who accused Kerrey of ordering the deaths of those civilians, who included women, children, and elderly men. Kerrey is considered a possible Democratic candidate for president in 2004.

President Bush told the media yesterday that American military force “is certainly an option” if China attacks Taiwan. The announcement goes a step further than the 1979 Taiwan Relations Act, which is ambiguous about the use of force in defending Taiwan. This latest controversy comes on the heels of Chinese complaints that the sale of American weapons to Taiwan would seriously threaten Sino-American relations.

Moderate Senate Democrats were courted by the Bush administration yesterday in an effort to get the President’s $1.6 trillion tax cut plan pushed through the legislature. However, Bush indicated that he is willing to compromise on the bill, though not as low as the $900 billion cut that Democrats propose. Democrats are also demanding more tax cuts for lower income brackets and enhanced support for agriculture, education, and prescription drug benefits.

4) Campus events

“A Variety of Objects, from Tools to Art”
by Professor Ivan Gaskell, Harvard University
Beardsley 318, 4:15 p.m.

Film: “Slums of Beverly Hills”
with Writer/Director Tamara Jenkins
LPAC Cinema, 7:00 p.m.

Four Leaders of the Mayan Communities of Population in Resistance
Kirby Lecture Hall – Martin, 7:15 p.m.

Film: “Sweet Movie”
Trotter 203, 7:30 p.m.

“Maasai Culture and Its Environment: Ensuring the Preservation of Maasailand in Kenya and Tanzania”
by John Nemarrau Ole Tome, Maasai Cultural Ambassador, Kenya
Scheuer Room – Kohlberg, 8:00 p.m.

Screening of “Shorts Fugitive Love” and “Family Remains”
Followed by Q&A with Writer/Director Tamara Jenkins.
LPAC Cinema, 9:00 p.m.

Dialogues Discussion Group
Mephistos Lounge – Willets, 10:30 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) IM Basketball Results

Competitive League Quarterfinals:

Young Bucks 56
Festivus for the Restivus 34

THE ARC 55
Karma Police 32

Alumni, Landsharks advance with byes

2) World sports roundup

The Milwaukee Bucks took a 2-0 lead over the Orlando Magic in their best-of-5 first-round playoff series last night with a 103-96 victory at home. Ray Allen torched the Magic for 27 points and 7 assists.

Hasim Rahman, newly crowned heavyweight champion, and his family suffered minor injuries after being injured in a car accident following a celebration of his recent victory over Lennox Lewis at Baltimore’s City Hall. Rahman, his wife, and their two children were tossed from the backseat of the parade convertible after the car was pushed into a taxi by a speeding driver. Rahman and his children were released from their hospitals while the boxer’s wife was being held over night for observation purposes.

The US extended its winning streak in World Cup qualifying games played at home to 18 yesterday with a 1-0 win over Costa Rica. Josh Wolff scored the game’s lone goal on a header off a corner kick, to give the US a commanding 3-0 record in the North and Central American and Caribbean region of the qualifying tournament.

3) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Women’s lacrosse hosts Haverford, 4:30 p.m.

Tomorrow:

There are no contests scheduled for tomorrow.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Your quotes suck.” – Madalyn Baker ’03