Tuesday, April 24, 2001

Tuesday, April 24, 2001
Volume 5, Number 123

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) The inside scoop on housing
2) World news roundup
3) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Golf team defeats ‘Fords
2) Women’s rugby triumphs over Lehigh
3) Women’s tennis streak stopped
4) Men’s lacrosse falls to Mary Washington
5) Softball defeated by Muhlenberg
6) World sports roundup
7) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Mostly cloudy with a slight chance of a thunderstorm. High 81.
I am really liking this weather.

Tonight: Cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms. Low 52.
It’s so nice eating outside Sharples…

Tomorrow: A mix of sun and clouds. High 57.
AAAHHH!!! Bees! Bees! Get em off me! Damn it, I hate eating outside! AAAAHHH!

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Moo goo gai pan, jasmine rice, *vegetable moo goo gai pan, eggplant casserole, baby lima beans, mixed vegetables
**Mexican bar

Dinner: Boneless center cut pork chops with chutney, roasted red bliss potatoes, *three bean casserole, broccoli-mushroom bake, vegetable blend
**Pizza bar

NEWS REPORT

1) The inside scoop on housing

The fate of the rising sophomores in the housing lottery is always determined by the size of the classes above them, and this year was no exception.

According to Dean Myrt Westphal, the class of ’01 is rather small, which means there were more rising juniors and seniors to snatch up those singles that went to rising sophomores last year.

As a result, there are two female singles left in ML basement, while four junior men went on the waiting list. Worth and Mertz are closed out, but there are still four rooms available in Wharton (though rising juniors actually took some of the doubles and one quad).

In all, Westphal said, there are 70 beds available in Willets and 34 beds in ML. Lists are posted outside Parrish 110 for rising sophomores to review their options.

2) World news roundup

The US Navy gave Cmdr. Scott Waddle a letter of punitive reprimand yesterday, ending his career, but without criminal charges. Waddle was at the helm of the USS Greeneville, which collided with a Japanese fishing vessel in February, killing nine of its crew. Additionally, by remprimanding Waddle Monday, the Navy officially acknowledged that the fault of the accident rested solely with the US submarine.

President Bush announced yesterday that the US would not sell powerful destroyers, equipped with Aegis combat radar systems, to the Taiwanese. The refusal was aimed at improving Sino-American relations that have deteriorated in the aftermath of the EP-3 surveillance plane incident. China worries that such radar systems would give Taiwan a defensive shield against Chinese ballistic missiles.

Following this weekend’s shooting of an American plane by the Peruvian Air Force, Washington hinted at a failure on the part of Peruvian officials to follow proper procedure. While the Peruvian military insists that it obeyed international rules of engagement, the Bush administration suggested that it moved too fast to attack the plane following a CIA identification of the plane as a possible drug carrier. A US missionary and her adopted 7-month-old daughter died in the plane crash, although the pilot and her husband and son survived after the aircraft plummeted into the Amazon River.

3) Campus events

Films: “Surname Viet, Given Name Nam” and “Performing the Border”
LPAC Cinema, 7:00 p.m.

Argentine Tango Lesson
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) Golf team defeats ‘Fords

The golf team beat Haverford yesterday, 355-415. Ben Wiles ’03 led the team with an 86, earning medalist honors. James Dolan ’02 shot an 88, Ben Rhee ’04 posted an 89, and Doug Kneeland ’02 added a 93. Heading into this weekend’s Centennial Conference championships, the team’s record stands at 4-2.

2) Women’s rugby triumphs over Lehigh

The women’s rugby team secured wins in both games of a twin-bill against Lehigh this past weekend. Despite being plagued by injuries that forced the A and B teams to merge their soters, the team took the A contest 10-0 and the subsequent B game 15-0. In the first match, Rabi Whitaker ’03 and Katie Harper ’02 posted tries, with assists by Harper and Laura Blume ’01, respectively. The second contest saw more of the same, with tries scored by Shannon McGrael ’03, Blume, and Emily Rhoades ’04, and assists courtesy of Rachel Stein ’01 and Harper.

3) Women’s tennis streak stopped

A ten-match winning streak for the women’s tennis team was halted yesterday by virtue of a 7-2 loss to the College of New Jersey. Anjani Reddy ’04’s personal 16-match streak at #1 singles ended with a 6-4, 6-3 defeat. Nevertheless, Caroline Celano ’04 took her #2 singles match 6-3, 6-2 and Celano and Reddy teamed for a doubles victory 8-6. The team, which completed an undefeated season in the Centennial Conference, will participate in the conference chamiponships this weekend. Their overall record is now 12-3.

The men’s lacrosse team ended its season on a sour note yesterday, dropping a 14-4 contest to Mary Washington. Than Court ’03, Mark Dingfield ’01, John Cleaver ’04, and Blake Atkins ’02 each netted a goal in the defeat, with Atkins and John Murphy ’03 both adding two assists. Senior goalkeeper CJ Riley posted 15 saves in his final conference game as a Garnet. The team wraps up its season with a record of 3-10 overall, and 0-6 in the Centennial Conference.

5) Softball defeated by Muhlenberg

The softball team fell to Muhlenberg Monday, 8-0. Stephanie Wotjtkowski ’02, Pam Lavallee ’03, and Gretchen Heitz ’04 each notched a hit during the contest. The team’s record, with just game left in their conference season, falls to 3-20 overall, and 3-11 in the Centennial.

6) World sports roundup

Martin Straka, scoreless through the first five games of the NHL Playoffs, notched the game-winner 13:04 into OT last night to give the Penguins a 4-3 win over the Capitals and a 4-2 first-round victory. Alexei Kovalev added a goal and an assist in the win, including a score with just one second left in the second period.

The Hornets blew out the Heat Monday night, 102-76, to take a commanding 2-0 lead in the best-of-5 first round as the series shifts to Charlotte for Game 3 on Friday. Jamal Mashburn led the Hornets with 22 points against his former team.

A 28-year old man held Marcus Camby’s mother and two sisters hostage yesterday in their Connecticut home, before surrendering to police. The man demanded to speak to Camby, but peacefully gave in after Camby, center for the New York Knicks, arrived at the home.

7) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Men’s tennis at Haverford, 3:30 p.m.
Women’s lacrosse hosts Bryn Mawr, 4:00 p.m.
Softball hosts Haverford, 4:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:

There are no contests scheduled for tomorrow.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Don’t anthropomorphize computers — they hate it.” – Anonymous