Monday, February 19, 2001

Monday, February 19, 2001
Volume 5, Number 83

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Rice on campus to discuss Ethics in Linguistics
2) PACES menu for this week
3) World news roundup
4) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Women’s swimming wins first-ever Conference title
2) Women’s basketball wins East Division
3) Men’s basketball earns bragging rights over ‘Fords
4) Men’s swim team finishes third in CC
5) Tennis upsets Temple
6) Intramural scoreboard
7) World sports roundup
8) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Partly cloudy, High of 41
I heard there was a little get-together in the parking lot at Haverford after the basketball games on Saturday…

Tonight: Partly cloudy still. Low of 34
By “get-together,” of course, I mean “butt-kicking.”

Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy, High of 52
I guess those honor code-toting ‘Fords were getting too self-righteous for their own good.

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Chicken nuggets, curly fries, *tofu joe, baked penne with mushrooms, corn, spinach
**Cheesesteak bar

Dinner: Seafood scampi, rice, Indian style chick peas, *spicy peanut noodle, broccoli and cauliflower
**Picnic bar

NEWS REPORT

Professor Keren Rice, a distinguished linguist from the University of Toronto, will present a talk tonight entitled, “”Ethical Issues in Linguistics Fieldwork.” Rice has done extensive linguistic fieldwork in collaboration with Slave communities (Northern Athabaskan peoples situated in Northwest Canada, pronounced ‘slay-vee’).

She will present a general talk on the subject of ethical issues relating to fieldwork. The talk addresses questions like: What is the nature of the relationship between the researcher and the community members s/he works with? How can and should the researcher communicate the goals and results of their research?, and How can research programs be constructed with the specific objectives and concerns of the community in mind?

The lecture will be followed by a panel discussion with Swarthmore faculty, commenting on these questions with an eye on their own research.

– Jeff Heckelman

2) PACES menu for this week

Monday through Wednesday

Savoy cabbage salad – with carrot, apple, and caraway seeds
Tuscan ruotelle – with tomato bell pepper sauce
Crusty rosemary breadsticks – with a roasted garlic marinara dipping sauce
Chicken with shallots – french style, with a hint of red wine vinegar
Pear crepes – crepes, brown sugar pears, vanilla ice cream, and homemade hot fudge

Daily Dessert Specials

Monday – cranberry swirl cheesecake, chocolate cinnamon torte w/ mocha fudge glaze (vegan)
Tuesday – orange cheesecake w/ caramel orange sauce, bittersweet chocolate pound cake
Wednesday – apple crisp, fudge pudding cake
(both vegan)

3) World news roundup

Tensions in Kosovo escalated on Sunday, as a Serbian police van exploded, killing three Serb officers. The explosion occurred just outside Kosovo, where a bus full of Serbian civilians visiting relatives’ graves was also bombed on Friday. The Yugoslav government appealed to NATO for help, blaming Kosovar ethnic Albanian militants for the attacks.

The US Navy is opening a court of inquiry in order to publicly investigate the Feb. 9th collision between the US submarine Greeneville and the Japanese training vessel Ehime Maru that resulted in the presumed death of nine Japanese citizens. The US Navy hopes that the public nature of the court will alleviate diplomatic tensions between the US and Japan.

The Pew Internet & American Life Project, which has been tracking Internet usage and habits since March, reported Sunday that more than half of the U.S. adult population used the Internet in the last year. Furthermore, the study found that nearly three-quarters of children ages 12-17 have access to the Internet.

Balthus, one of the last century’s greatest realist painters, died Sunday afternoon at his home in the mountain village of Rossiniere in Geneva, just short of his 93rd birthday. Balthus was best known for his erotic portrayal of adolescent beauties, which some people have called pornographic. French president Jacques Chirac said, “Balthus had a deep, individual, subtle character who detested the banal.”

4) Campus events

“At the Heart of the Matter: The Diaries of Victor Klemperer, 1933 – 1945”
by Neil H. Donahue.
Kohlberg 115, 4:15 p.m.

“Workers, Workplaces and the Global Economy”
by Kevin Quigley ’74, Executive Director of the Global Alliance for Workers and Communities
Scheuer Room, 4:30 p.m.

Math/Statistics Colloquium with Georgia Benkart
Dupont 190, 4:30 p.m.

“L’Algerie en Memoire”
by Soraya Tlatli, Princeton University
Kohlberg 328, 4:45 p.m.

“Ethical Issues in Linguistics Fieldwork”
by Keren Rice, University of Toronto.
Kirby Lecture Hall, 7:00 p.m.

Swing Dance
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SWIL Movie: “The Day the Earth Stood Still”
Kirby Lecture Hall, 10:00 p.m.

Student Council Meeting
Parrish Parlors, 10:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

The women’ swim team won its first-ever Centennial Conference Championship on Sunday, defeating seven-time champion Gettysburg 679-639. Swarthmore finished second behind Gettysburg in each of the last six years. First place finishes included Alice Bonarou ’02 in the 100m butterfly, Natalie Briones ’03 in the 100m breaststroke, and the team of Bonarou, Briones, Becca Howes-Mischel ’01, and Davita Burkhead-Weiner ’03 in the 400m team medley.

The women’s basketball trounced Haverford 78-48, winning the Centennial Conference Eastern Division Crown. Katie Robinson ’04 propelled the team to victory with a career-high 22 points and seven steals. Heather Kile ’02 helped out with 15 points. The Garnet is now 20-4, 12-3. They will host Franklin & Marshall in the Conference semifinals on Wednesday.

The men’s basketball also defeated Haverford, 51-41. Kyle Lewis ’02 scored 14 points, while David Gammill ’02 and Jacob Letendre ’04 helped out with 13 and 11 points, respectively. The team improved to 4-20, 3-10.

4) Men’s swim team finishes third in CC

The men’s swim team finished third at the Centennial Conference, earning 503 points and falling behind to Gettysburg (786) and Franklin & Marshall (637). Individual results were unavailable at press time.

5) Tennis upsets Temple

The men’s tennis team won an upset against Temple University 4-3 Sunday. Victorious were Scott Grant ’01, John Thomas ’02, Jayson Yost ’03, and Frank Visciano ’04.

6) Intramural scoreboard

Competitive Basketball

MMM DU 59 Young Bucks 47
Karma Police win by forfeit over DU Eye
Slow Moving Vehicles win by forfeit over Al Bloom’s DU Boyz

Non-Competitive Basketball

Jeye Squad 52 Dana Buggers 49
Mothership Connection 47 Big Gay Asian Invasion 29
Callaloo Club 44 Team 3 40
Team 3 44 Dana Buggers 21

7) World sports roundup

NASCAR legend and seven-time Winston Cup champion Dale Earnhardt Sr. died Sunday in a crash during the last lap of the Daytona 500. He died while blocking another car that tried to take the lead from his son, Dale Jr. Michael Waltrip ended up winning, but saw his first victory after 462 attempts turn bitter as news of Earnhardt’s death spread.

The Clemson Tigers beat No.1 North Carolina 75-65 on Sunday, earning their first victory over a top-ranked team since early 1980. Clemson’s Will Solomon, the leading scorer of the Atlantic Coast Conference, helped secure the victory with 13 of the first 17 points in the second half.

Baseball Hall of Famer Eddie Matthews died at 69 from pneumonia complications on Sunday. The Braves great was one of only 16 people to have hit over 500 home runs. He played in the World Series three times, winning twice.

8) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

There are no contests scheduled for today.

Tomorrow:

There are no contests scheduled for tomorrow.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“We’re great” – Drew Barrymore, after escaping her and fiancee Tom Green’s burning house.
“Other than the fact that the home burned down” – Tom Green, seconds later.