Friday, February 16, 2001

Friday, February 16, 2001
Volume 5, Number 82

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) Bios Club celebrates Darwin’s birthday
2) World news roundup
3) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) World sports roundup
2) This weekend’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Cloudy with thunderstorms likely. High 47.
You know, I’m getting a little suspicious about Tarble’s juice selection…

Tonight: Cloudy with showers likely. Low 34.
Especially that stuff labeled as “Strawberry-Kiwi.”

Saturday: Mostly cloudy. Highs in the mid 40s.
Now, I don’t know about you, but I’ve never had either Strawberry or Kiwi juice…

Sunday: Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 40s.
However, I’ve certainly tried my share of Kool-Aid…

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Tortellini di fiesoli, lattice cut french fries, *cajun black beans, spinach, corn
**Wrap bar

Dinner: Chicken parmesan, pasta, eggplant parmesan, *sweet and sour tofu, zucchini italiano, broccoli
**Potato bar

NEWS REPORT

In what has become an odd yet strangely cute tradition, the Bios Club today will pay tribute to one of biology’s founding fathers, celebrating what would have been Charles Darwin’s 192nd birthday.

The gala event will take place in the Friends Meetinghouse from 7-9 p.m. According to Talia Young ’01, one of the event’s coordinators, the night will feature an endless assortment of Darwin-related games, including a dessert contest in which contestants must enter one of three categories (Darwin related events, theories or trivia; cellular biology; marine organisms) to qualify.

Other games include “pin the beak on the finch and the tail on the paradise bird,” and a foraging contest where contestants will determine “who has the fittest party game genes.”

The event also promises to contain its fair share of charades and “mad-libs,” as well as a special performance by Biology professors Scott Gilbert and Mark Jacobs. Adults are also welcome to bring proof of their “reproductive fitness” (i.e. bring their offspring).

– Jeff Heckelman

2) World news roundup

President Bush discussed his plans for increased cooperation within North and South America in a meeting with State Department officials and employees on Thursday. President Bush says he hopes for greater diplomatic ties with countries in the Western Hemisphere, emphasizing the importance of sound foreign policy for national defense. He has not yet discussed his administration’s plans for State Department spending, though newly appointed Secretary of State Colin Powell has repeatedly stressed the need for great increases in the State Department budget in meetings with the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. President Bush will travel to Mexico on Friday for an official visit with Mexican President Vicente Fox.

The developers of DARE (Drug Abuse Resistance Education), an 18 year old national program aimed at curbing drug use in adolescents, announced Thursday that the current program is ineffective. With support from both the Department of Education and the Department of Justice, a new DARE program will be implemented in schools in several cities across the country. The new program, which researchers began developing two years ago, will work with students in the seventh and ninth grades, instead of the fifth grade. DARE educators hope the new system will encourage greater student involvement in the learning process, through role-playing and discussions on peer pressure, and prevent future teenage drug use.

Rwandan President Paul Kagame refused on Thursday to participate in peace negotiations aimed at ending the civil war in Congo. Kagame claims that the official mediator of the discussion, Frederick Chiluba, President of Zambia, is unfairly biased. Rwanda, along with Uganda, have been supporting rebel troops in Congo since the beginning of the conflict in 1998. Recently appointed Congolese President Joseph Kabila, son of the late President Laurent Kabila, is expected to pursue peace with rebels to end the destructive fighting. He is supported in this effort by, among other nations, Zimbabwe, Angola and Namibia.

3) Campus events

Today:

Lecture by French Candidate Bernoussi Saltani
Kohlberg 328, 5:00 p.m.

Shabbat Services and Dinner
Bond Memorial Hall, 5:30 p.m.

Darwin’s Birthday Party
Quaker Meetinghouse, 7:00 p.m.

Film: “The Philadelphia Story”
DuPont 161, 7:30 and 10:00 p.m.

Swarthmore Christian Fellowship Meeting
Kohlberg 115, 7:30 p.m.

Film: “Xala”
Kohlberg 116, 7:30 p.m.

Film: “All About My Mother”
Kirby Lecture Hall in Martin, 7:30 p.m.

Reggie Wilson Fist and Heel Performance Group
Pearson-Hall Theatre – LPAC, 8:00 p.m.

Krafftwerk Vol. 1
Progressive Trance Originals from Munich and Amsterdam spun by DJ “MaD” martin belligerence
Upper Tarble, 10:00 p.m.

Saturday:

Anime Club Meeting
Kohlberg 115, 7:00 p.m.

African / American Dance Concert by the Kusika Dance Ensemble
Pearson-Hall Theatre – LPAC, 7:00 p.m.

“Full Metal Jacket”
DuPont 161, 7:30 and 10:00 p.m.

31st Annual English-Scottish Ball
Upper Tarble, 8:00 p.m.

Sunday:

Celebration of Mass
Bond Memorial Hall, 11:00 a.m.

Protestant Worship
Bond 2nd Floor Worship Room, 4:00 p.m.

Investment Banking Talk
Scheuer Room – Kohlberg, 4:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) World sports roundup

Playing in front of a sold-out home crowd at the Corel Centre, the Ottawa Senators defeated the Colorado Avalanche, 4-1. Alexei Yashin and Shawn McEachern each had a goal and an assist in the win.

A group headed by Wayne Gretzky completed an $88 million deal to buy the NHL’s Phoenix Coyotes from its current ownership yesterday. The team will stay in Phoenix and Gretzky will take over as director of hockey operations for the club.

New Orleans is leading the list of cities vying to be the new home for the financially-troubled Vancouver Grizzlies. As no NBA franchise has moved in over 15 years, the competition for the team is hot and heavy, especially from southern communities such as St. Louis and Nashville.

2) This weekend’s contests

Today:

Indoor track and field at Haverford, 5:00 p.m.
Swimming at F&M – Centennial Championships

Saturday:

Women’s basketball at Haverford, 6:00 p.m.
Men’s basketball at Haverford, 8:00 p.m.

Sunday:

Badminton vs. Northeast Collegiate, 8:00 a.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Most of my cliches aren’t original.” – Chuck Knox