Tuesday, January 30, 2001

Tuesday, January 30, 2001

Volume 5, Number 69

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) New Spanish literary magazine announced
2) College Bowl fares well at UPenn
3) World news roundup
4) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) World sports roundup
2) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Rain and possible thunderstorms. Highs in the lower and mid 50s.
Being that it’s the Add/Drop period once again…

Tonight: Cloudy with rain likely. Lows in the upper 30s.
I feel strangely tempted to drop all my courses and spend the semester in the Crum, living off the goodness of the land.

Tomorrow: Partly sunny. Highs in the lower and mid 50s.
But then who would write these absurd rants?

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: BBQ chicken sandwich, cottage fries, *ratatouille, pierogies, brussel sprouts, corn on the cob
**Chef salad bar

Dinner: Chicken marsala, buttered noodles, *baked tofu, Thai sweet potatoes, spinach, peas and carrots
**Caribbean bar

NEWS REPORT

A group of students has launched “Ñ,” a new Spanish language literary magazine that will publish the writings of Tri-co community members. “‘Ñ’ will allow native speakers an opportunity to publish in their language, and students of Spanish a chance to explore writing in a foreign language,” says Martín Rio ’03, one of the magazine’s founders. “It is the first such project on campus.”

Also at the helm of the new publication are Cynthia Briano ’02, Jesse Hartigan ’04, Alicia Muñoz ’03, and Sabrina Parra-García ’01.

Currently the group is requesting submissions of poetry, short essays, and short stories from students, staff, and faculty in the Tri-college community.

Work will be accepted up until Monday, March 19, 2001 and should be sent to enie@sccs.swarthmore.edu. Following the deadline, a poetry reading will herald the publication’s official launch.

For further information, please visit http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/enie.

– Jeremy Schifeling

2) College Bowl fares well at UPenn

The College Bowl team was represented by three teams at this past weekend’s tenth annual Penn Bowl tournament at U-Penn.

A team composed of Christina Falcone ’02, Michael Noda ’04 and Ascencion Duenas ’04 placed second in their division, with a final record of 13-2. Ben Schak ’03, Jonah Volk ’03, Dan Fairchild ’03 and Marie Becker ’04 finished 8-7, while Rebecca Paul ’02, Mark Romanowsky ’03, Dan Blim ’02, Jeff Traczynski ’04 and Adrian Packel ’04 wound up a respectable 6-9.

3) World news roundup

While rescue workers continue to search for survivors of India’s disastrous earthquake last weekend, a top government official estimates that 100,000 may be dead, with twice that number injured. Though paling in comparison to the tragic loss of life, economic costs are already being placed at well over $5 billion. The government has pledged $108 million in immediate aid and has applied for an additional $1.5 billion in loans from the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank.

The Bush administration created a White House office Tuesday to administer federal grants to charities and religious groups in order to combat a number of social ills. President Bush has said that he will not discriminate against religious roups that seek the billions of dollars in funding put forth for after-school programs, drug treatment, and similar social initiatives. Political opponents immediately condemned the move on the grounds that it violated governmental separation of church and state.

Texas cattle that were accidentally fed the remains of other animals, showed no signs of mad cow disease today according to FDA tests. The FDA has banned the use of this type of feed since 1997, as it is believed that it facilitates the transmission of the illness that has surfaced in Europe.

4) Campus events

“Le Quatre Vents: French Canadian Paradise”
Scott Arboretum Lunch Lecture by James Duell, Curatorial Intern.
Scheuer Room – Kohlberg, 12:00 p.m.

Summerbridge Presentation
Bond Memorial Hall, 4:00 p.m.

Poetry Reading and Exhibit of Books
by the Advanced Poetry Workshop and the Works on Paper Class
McCabe Lobby, 4:15 p.m.

“Three Wise Men and the End of the Roman Republic: the Careers of Cicero, Varro, and Cato the Younger, and the Defeat of Republican Forces at the Battle of Pharsalus”
by Elaine Fantham, the Helen F. North Distinguished Lecturer in Classics.
LPAC Cinema, 8:00 p.m.

Ballroom Dance
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

1) World sports roundup

Oklahoma State University has launched an investigation into the transportation it provides for its athletics teams following an airplane crash this past weekend that killed 10, including 2 basketball players. A memorial service is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon. …Invesco Funds Group has agreed to pay the Denver Metropolitan Football Stadium District Board $120 million over the next 20 years to have the Bronco’s new stadium named “Invesco Field at Mile High.” The payment will help lighten the nearly $400 million cost to taxpayers of the station’s construction. …Butch Davis became the Cleveland Browns head coach yesterday, despite promising not to leave his old position at the University at Miami. He replaces the fired Chris Palmer, who led the Browns to a dismal 3-13 season last year.

2) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

Women’s basketball vs. Washington, 7:00 p.m.

Tomorrow:

Badminton vs. Bryn Athyn, 7:30 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“I’ve read about foreign policy and studied, I now know the number of continents.” – George Wallace, 1968 presidential campaign