Monday, January 29, 2001

Monday, January 29, 2001

Volume 5, Number 68

NEWS IN BRIEF

1) World news roundup
2) Campus events

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1) Badminton wins season opener with authority
2) Women’s basketball sets school mark
3) Men’s hoops suffers tough loss
4) Gettysburg sweeps Swat swim teams
5) World sports roundup
6) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today: Partly sunny. Highs in the upper 30s.
I trust you all watched the first episode of “Survivor II” after the game…

Tonight: Cloudy, chance of rain late. Lows around 35.
How much more interesting would it have been if a certain member of the college community had made it all the way?

Tomorrow: Rainy, windy. Highs in the upper 40s.
Can’t help but wonder just how many episodes he would have gotten through…

TODAY’S SHARPLES MENU

Lunch: Meatball sandwich, crinkle cut fries, *vegan meatball sandwich, cauliflower au gratin, green beans, vegetarian blend
**Hot wing bar

Dinner: Roast top round of beef, red bliss potatoes, *chick pea sautee, Greek pasta, asparagus, baby carrots
**Pizza bar

NEWS REPORT

1) World news roundup

The discovery of an unscathed 3-year old girl amid the ruins following India’s massive earthquake temporarily warmed the hearts of those searching for survivors. But the death toll, which currently stands at over 6,000 confirmed, is expected to reach anywhere from 10,000 to as many as 30,000 as time goes on. Nations around the world are sending aid, as tens of thousands of Indians are homeless.

This week, President Bush plans to promote his proposal to turn certain government services over to religious institutions, and will push the GOP plan to provide prescription drugs to senior citizens.

Two professors at Dartmouth College were found murdered in their home on Sunday. Very few details have been made available. Susanne and Half Zantop were two of the Ivy-League school’s most distinguished and popular faculty members; Suzanne, 55, was chairman of Dartmouth’s German studies department. Her 62-year-old husband taught earth sciences.

Princeton University said Saturday that it would replace student loans with scholarships so that its financial aid-eligible undergrads would not have to pay back thousands of dollars for their education. The school said it will take the money from its nearly $8 billion endowment. Next year, students will be charged $26,160 for tuition, and undergraduates will pay $33,613 a year for tuition, room and board, a three percent increase.

2) Campus events

“What Do Indicator Species Indicate? A Case Study of an Endangered Oregon Butterfly”
by Cheryl B. Schultz, University of California, Santa Barbara
Kirby Lecture Hall, 4:15 p.m.

“The Colonial Child Reborn” Enlightenment and Reform in Late Colonial Lima”
by Bianca Premo, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Trotter 203, 4:30 p.m.

Lecture by French Candidate Andre Benhaim
Kohlberg 328, 4:45 p.m.

Organizational Meeting, Women’s Rugby
Parrish Parlor – East, 7:00 p.m.

WSRN Organizational Meeting
Upper Tarble, 8:00 p.m.

Swing Dance
Upper Tarble, 9:30 p.m.

SWIL Movie: Earth Girls Are Easy
Kirby Lecture Hall, 10:00 p.m.

Earthlust Meeting
Parrish Parlor – West, 10:00 p.m.

SPORTS UPDATE

Starting off their last season as a varsity sport, the badminton team wasted little time in disposing of Haverford, sweeping Friday’s match 5-0. Co-captains Jane Ng ’01, Siobhan Carty ’01 and Karen Lange ’02 each won their singles matches. Lange didn’t surrender a single point to Haverford’s Sherry Yang. Swarthmore’s doubles teams of Xiang-Lan Zhuo ’01 & Sachi Uchimaru ’03 and Ay Jy Phoun ’04 & Surbhi Gupta ’04 were also victorious. The team is 1-0 on the season.

2) Women’s basketball sets school mark

Even overtime can’t stop the Garnet women’s basketball team these days. Up by three with seconds to go, Swat couldn’t hang on as Gettysburg hit a three-pointer at the buzzer to send Saturday’s contest into overtime. But Heather Kile ’02 and company took over from there. Kile scored 11 of Swat’s 15 points in the extra period, sparking the Garnet to a 71-65 victory. Kile finished with 24 points and 11 rebounds. Katie Robinson ’04 turned in an excellent all-around performance with eight points, 12 rebounds, five assists and five steals. The team’s record is now 15-2, 7-1. The 15 victories are a school record for most wins in one season.

3) Men’s hoops suffers tough loss

Losing to Gettysburg 55-45 on Saturday dropped the men’s basketball team’s record to a disappointing 3-14, 2-5. David Pearce ’03 led the losing cause with 11 points, and Chris Loeffler ’04 chipped in 10.

4) Gettysburg sweeps Swat swim teams

Becca Howes-Michel ’01 and John Lilvis ’03 were the lone winners for their respective teams as Gettysburg defeated both the men’s and women’s swim teams on Saturday. Howes-Michel won the 200 back in 2:21.21, but it wasn’t enough as the Bullets rolled to a 131-73 win. The team is 6-2, 3-2 on the season. Lilvis won the 200 butterfly in 2:02.69 for the men, but Gettysburg won big, 151-53, bringing Swat’s record to 3-4, 2-2.

5) World sports roundup

The Baltimore Ravens put on a defensive clinic on the biggest stage in sports Sunday, defeating the New York Giants 34-7 in Super Bowl XXXV. The only points the Giants managed to score were against the Ravens’ special teams, and their rush defense forced Giants quarterback Kerry Collins into throwing a Super Bowl record-tying four interceptions. Baltimore linebacker Ray Lewis was named MVP. …For at least one day, Kobe Bryant got his wish, as the Lakers were his and his alone while Shaquille O’Neal sat out against the Knicks on Sunday with a bruised foot. But Bryant couldn’t do it all by himself, and he didn’t have the answer to New York’s stifling defense, as the Knicks rolled to an easy 91-81 win. …Mark Calcavecchia did his best impression of Tiger Woods this weekend at the Phoenix Open, shooting a 28-under 256 to break the 46-year-old PGA Tour record for lowest 72-hole score. …Ten members of the Oklahoma State basketball family were killed on Saturday when their plane crashed just east of Denver, CO. Two reserve players were killed, along with the team’s play-by-play announcer, its sports information director, a radio engineer, two managers, the team’s administrative assistant and the two pilots.

6) Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

Today:

There are no contests scheduled for today.

Tomorrow:

Women’s basketball vs. Washington, 7:00 p.m.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

“Not to be funny, but I’ve had an intense spotlight on me all year.” – Raven’s linebacker and Super Bowl MVP Ray Lewis