Wednesday, November 19, 1997

The Daily Gazette

Swarthmore College
Wednesday, November 19, 1997
Volume 2, Number 52

NEWS IN BRIEF

1)  Technology will be central to libraries, candidate says

2)  Senior wins fellowship to study in Italy

3)  World news roundup

SPORTS IN BRIEF

1)  Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

WEATHER FORECAST

Today:     Mostly cloudy, windy. High near 50.
            This is the kind of day that makes me want to go back to bed.
Tonight:   Clear, warmer than last night. Low around 35.
            Who am I kidding? Every day is that kind of day.
Thursday:  Clear and nice. High of 50.

NEWS REPORT

The library of the future will be a place “where reading tables and workstations come together,” a candidate for the position of College librarian said Tuesday.

David W. Lewis, associate executive director of libraries at Indiana University-Purdue University in Indianapolis, was the first of several finalists for the job to visit campus.

Using graphics from his PowerBook, Lewis explained how the World Wide Web and other electronic resources will change the nature of libraries. In his view, more and more scholarly works will appear on the Web instead of in print, and libraries will be transformed from storage houses for printed information to “scholarly commons” providing technology for both individual and group work. Library staff will have to learn about the latest technological innovations in order to be able to help patrons find information, he said.

Lewis also emphasized the need for cooperation and collaboration between the library and other areas of the university, such as the faculty, the administration and the computer staff: “There will increasingly be gray areas where there were boundaries,” he said. “It will be increasingly difficult to know where the library ends and the rest of the college begins.”

The position has been vacant since the sudden death in June 1996 of longtime library director Michael Durkan.

*****

Kevin Kish ’98, a sociology and anthropology major, has won a Rotary Ambassadorial Fellowship for one year of post-graduate study outside the United States.

Kish said he will spend next year in Trieste, Italy, studying “community-building in a multi-ethnic city.” Fellowship recipients serve as “cultural ambassadors” to the places they visit and are “required to speak to the Rotary Club both in the U.S. and in that country after the study,” Kish said.

The award carries a stipend of $18,000 to $22,000.

*****

3)  World news roundup

PHILADELPHIA BANK IN $16.6 BILLION MERGER

Corestates Financial Corp., the nation’s 23rd largest bank and the Philadelphia area’s largest for-profit employer, agreed Tuesday to be acquired by First Union Corp. for $16.6 billion in stock. The merger would be the largest in U.S. banking history. First Union said it would create 3,000 new jobs in the Philadelphia area, establish a $100 million foundation to benefit the region Corestates serves and spend $16 million to retrain workers who lose their jobs in the merger.

GOVERNMENT APPROVES ON-OFF SWITCHES FOR AIR BAGS

The Transportation Department on Tuesday announced guidelines allowing some car owners to install shutoff switches for the air bags in their vehicles. Safety experts and government officials said the devices usually save lives and should not be turned off except in special circumstances. Drivers who cannot sit more than 10 inches back from the air bag cover, who must transport an infant in the front seat in a rear-facing car seat, who must transport children in the front seat or who have unusual medical conditions will be allowed to apply to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for permission to turn off their air bags.

IN OTHER NEWS …

Iraq’s deputy prime minister, Tariq Aziz, and Russian President Boris Yeltsin met Tuesday to develop a diplomatic solution to Iraq’s dispute with the United Nations; Russian officials later said a plan had been worked out but gave no details. … The FBI officially ended its criminal investigation of the TWA Flight 800 explosion, declaring it had found no evidence a bomb or missile was involved and turning the inquiry over to the National Transportation Safety Board. … A school bus carrying nearly twice its normal capacity of 60 passengers plunged from a bridge Tuesday in New Delhi, India, killing 28 children and injuring 67 more.

*****

SPORTS UPDATE

1)  Today’s and tomorrow’s contests

TODAY
There are no contests scheduled for today.

TOMORROW
There are no contests scheduled for tomorrow.

*****

Interested in reporting or writing for the Gazette? Just want to tell us
what you think? Contact the Board of Editors at
gazette-management@student-publications.swarthmore.edu.

Got a news tip for us?
E-mail gazette-news@student-publications.swarthmore.edu.

Want to contact our sports editors?
E-mail gazette-sports@student-publications.swarthmore.edu.

The Daily Gazette
Board of Editors
Fred Bush
Kate Doty
Aarti Iyer
Karen Lloyd
Lorrin Nelson
Sam Schulhofer-Wohl

Staff Writers
Julie Falk
Jennifer Klein
Trang Pham

Contributing Writer
Jessica Harbour

Weatherman
Rafi Dowty

The Daily Gazette is published Monday through Friday by an independent
group of Swarthmore College students. Technical support from the Swarthmore
College Computer Society is gratefully acknowledged.

To subscribe to the Gazette, free of charge, send e-mail to
requests@student-publications.swarthmore.edu with the words “subscribe
daily” as the subject of your message. Use the words “unsubscribe daily” to
cancel a subscription.

Back issues are available on the World Wide Web at:
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/org/daily

This concludes today’s report.

Copyright 1997 by The Daily Gazette. All rights reserved.