Underdogs: Swarthmore Women’s Soccer versus (#3) Messiah

Photo Courtesy of Abby Chang

On Sep. 7, 2024, the Swarthmore women’s soccer team was set to play #3 Messiah at home, under the lights. This was a much anticipated matchup, due to the notorious athletic success of Messiah. On that cool September evening at Clothier Stadium, the women’s soccer team delivered a gritty and thrilling performance, holding the nationally ranked Messiah Falcons to a 1-1 draw. The Garnet secured a 1-0 lead until the 87th minute, with a mere three minutes until the end of the game. However, the final result was bittersweet. Victory was in the palm of the underdog Garnet’s hand, but the team couldn’t keep their hard-fought lead through the last few minutes. Nevertheless, the Garnet defied expectations against one of the nation’s most dominant programs, and maintained their winning record. 

From the opening whistle, Swarthmore made it clear they weren’t intimidated by Messiah’s ranking. Their resolve was rewarded in the 23rd minute when sophomore forward Ava Gizzie ’27 rocketed a shot over the Falcons’ goalkeeper, sending Swarthmore’s fans into a frenzy. The goal was assisted by a ball from junior midfielder Macie Mangini ’26. The early lead sent shockwaves through Messiah’s defense who found themselves scrambling to regain control of the match.

The Swarthmore backline had fiery energy from the start and were resolved to not let in any goals. Messiah, however, adjusted as the second half unfolded. Known for their lethal offensive capabilities, they unleashed an unrelenting barrage of attacks, outshooting Swarthmore 29-10 by the game’s end. The Garnet defense, anchored by sophomore goalkeeper Sofie Aird ’27, remained composed under pressure. Stepping up in the second start of her career, Aird’s eight crucial saves were vital in keeping Swarthmore ahead in the game. She thwarted Messiah’s forwards time and time again, denying what appeared to be good looks on goal.

As the clock ticked down, the tension rose. The Garnet’s lead seemed to solidify with each passing minute, but in the final three minutes, Messiah’s relentless pressure finally paid off. A corner kick led to a scrappy, game-tying goal that sent the Falcons into celebration. It was a crushing blow for Swarthmore, who had come so close to a historic upset.

Despite the late equalizer, Swarthmore held on for the draw. The final whistle was met with a mixture of relief, pride, and disappointment from the Garnet squad, knowing they had battled and almost bested one of the highest ranked teams in the country. The unexpected 1-1 result marked a significant moment in the young season, proving that Swarthmore can compete at the highest level.

Post-game, Head Coach Todd Anckaitis praised his team’s resilience and hard work throughout the 90 minutes played. 

Each of the 31 players on the Swarthmore team knew that they were the underdogs that night, but it just made them fight harder. They put their all into the game and left their hearts on the field. 

With the draw, Swarthmore improved to 2-0-3, while Messiah moved to a record of  2-1-3. This result sets the stage for what looks to be a promising season for the Garnet.

As Swarthmore looks ahead to their next challenge against Franklin and Marshall College on Sep. 28, this hard-fought draw will serve as both motivation and proof that no opponent, no matter how highly ranked, should underestimate the Garnet. 

Disclaimer: This article was written by a member of the women’s soccer team.