Athlete of the Week: Hannah Grace Humphreys ’25

Hannah Grace Humphreys ’25 is a middle blocker on the volleyball team from Gainesville, FL. The senior has played a total of 131 sets in her career and has seen action in all seven games this season. She is currently averaging a career high 0.64 kills per set. Humphreys had a season-high seven points and five kills against Salisbury at the Margie Knight Classic. In her most recent game against the University of Mary Washington, Humphreys played in all five sets and tied for the most blocks in the game. The Garnet play next on Friday, Sep. 20, against SUNY New Paltz and Kean University.

Abby Chang: How did you feel about the win against Mary Washington this past Saturday?

Hannah Grace Humphreys: The match was a long overdue fifth set win for us. It was a great match, a total team effort — everyone was flying everywhere and doing their jobs so well. While that kind of competitive atmosphere is super motivating for my performance, I have to credit our defense and serve receive for all-out effort. Any success we had offensively is absolutely thanks to them. 

AC: What have been some of the highlights of the season thus far?

HH: We’ve been on the road a lot so far this season, so having a home weekend was absolutely a highlight. A lot of friends and family came out, including my brother who had never been to campus! I’ve also enjoyed getting to know the first-years — the class of 2028 is already doing big things for this [volleyball] program.

AC: What are some of your team’s goals and your personal goals for the rest of the season?

HH: The volleyball team has always been clear that our ultimate goal is to finally secure a conference championship, and with our win over Johns Hopkins [University] during the season last year, I’d say it’s definitely on the table. Personally, it’s both my senior year and last semester of college, so I’m focusing more on enjoying every moment with the team and playing the sport — although winning certainly doesn’t hurt!

AC: Do you have any pre-game or post-game rituals?

HH: Individually, I’ve gotten into playing with my hair in a certain style, kind of as a personal reward for finally figuring out how to use hair gel. Team-wise, we do some really creative whiteboard illustrations during a pre-game hype session, with increasingly stupid themes. (i.e. recurring “Phineas & Ferb” cameos). It’s a good way to be a little silly and get the nerves out before a match. My teammate Sakura [Shimozono ’27] is particularly gifted art-wise, I always look forward to seeing what she’ll draw. 

AC: Do you have a volleyball role model or someone in the sport you look up to?

HH: During my time on the team, I’ve gotten really close to our coaching staff. As all former college volleyball players themselves, I’m really lucky to get their expertise and guidance. Outside of Swat, I have to say Coach Mary Wise at the University of Florida. I grew up in Gainesville, and she refuses to retire without a national championship. I also grew up across the street from [professional tennis player] Ben Shelton, but he recently unfollowed me on Instagram, which makes me a little less compelled to talk about him here. 

AC: Why did you choose Swarthmore? What is your area of study?

HH: In true liberal-arts fashion, I have two special majors: linguistics and modern languages and global politics and policies. Essentially, it’s international relations with the pony trick of talking about it in both Spanish and French. I chose Swat for the absolute ragers at Olde Club. Just kidding! I loved that it was a school where people could be more like Venn diagrams, not a set of checkboxes. Everyone here has like three or four niche things going on, which totally gives flavor to the college experience. 

AC: What is your favorite class that you’ve taken during your time at Swarthmore?

HH: I’ve been lucky to take some great classes here, but the one that stands out the most was world religions with [Haverford College Visiting Instructor of Peace, Justice and Human Rights] Prea Khanna. She has this way of lecturing that takes the class on a journey through a concept as opposed to being introduced to it head-on. She had our whole class convinced veganism was a religion and that magic mushrooms weren’t all that different from holy communion. It was wild. 

AC: Favorite Dining Center bar?

HH: I’m not the biggest Sharples die-hard, however you can bet your bottom dollar that if it’s tostada bar, I’ll be making an appearance (or two). Also have to include a shout-out to Donny and April at the Dining Center. Unsung heroes fueling the Garnet!