Swarthmore Athletics Weekly Recap:

Swarthmore Athletics

Women’s Swimming:

The No. 16-ranked Swarthmore women’s swimming team competed in the Centennial Conferences at Gettysburg College over the weekend. The Garnet finished the four-day meet with a total of 27 medals: thirteen gold, seven silver, and seven bronze, equating to 991 points total. Swarthmore won the conference title for the third consecutive year and fifth time overall, beating the second-place Gettysburg College by over 100 points. 

Notable Swimmers: Quinn Weygandt ’26 was named the Most Outstanding Performer in the conference championships after tallying five gold medals, three from individual events. The sophomore earned first in the 200-meter butterfly with a time of 2:03.28, setting a pool record and earning a NCAA B cut. Weygandt won the 400-meter individual medley with a time of 4:22.09, breaking the championship, conference, pool, and program records. Her time is currently the third fastest in the nation. Weygandt also won the 200-meter individual medley with a time of 2:03.38, setting a program and conference record. 

Men’s Swimming:

The No. 21-ranked Swarthmore men’s swimming team competed in the Centennial Conferences in Gettysburg, PA, over the weekend. The Garnet tallied 948 points to earn their third-consecutive crown and fifth in program history. Swarthmore collected 25 medals: twelve gold, twelve silver, and one bronze to defeat the second-place team by more than 200 points. 

Notable Swimmers: Andrew Karpenko ’24 was named the Most Outstanding Performer of the conference championships for the third year in a row after earning four gold medals, three in individual events. The senior won the 200-meter breastroke with a time of 2:00.68, earning a NCAA B cut. Karpenko won the 100-meter breastroke with a time of 55.16. Karpenko also won the 200-meter individual medley with a time of 1:49.97, setting a pool record and earning a NCAA B cut. 

Baseball:

Swarthmore College: 17, Montclair State University: 7

Swarthmore baseball traveled to Aberdeen, MD, this weekend to play a series of games. They faced Montclair State University in their season-opener on Friday afternoon. After allowing five runs in the bottom of the third, the Garnet shut out the Hawks in the fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh innings, while tallying four runs in the sixth and seventh innings. The Garnet added four runs in the top of the eighth and held the Hawks to just one run to earn their first win of the season. 

Notable Players: Aidan Sullivan ’26 scored five runs on five at-bats. Max Roffwarg ’25 tallied four runs on four at-bats.

Swarthmore College: 9, Mount Aloysius College: 1

Swarthmore baseball defeated Mount Aloysius College in their second game of the weekend series. The Garnet tallied nine runs off of twelve hits, keeping the Mounties to just one run and four hits.

Notable Players: Roffwarg recorded two runs and two stolen bases, and Matt Silvestre ’25 had three runs-batted-in. Noah Potholm ’26 allowed only one run and two hits, while collecting nine strikeouts, in seven innings pitched.

Swarthmore College: 4, Keene State: 9

Swarthmore baseball fell to Keene State in the final game of their weekend series on Saturday. The Owls tallied six hits and nine runs, while the Garnet recorded seven hits and four runs.

Notable Players: Jett Shue ’24 had two runs-batted-in. Silvestre had two hits in four at-bats.

Swarthmore College: 4, Cairn University: 7

Swarthmore baseball fell to Cairn University on Tuesday afternoon in their home opener. The game was scoreless until the fifth inning when the Garnet took a one-run lead; however, the Highlanders managed two runs in the sixth inning and four runs in the seventh inning. The Garnet added three runs in the bottom of the seventh, but it was not enough to overcome the Highlanders, who scored another run in the eighth inning.

Notable Players: Silvestre had two hits and two runs-batted-in. Roffwarg had two runs.

Women’s Tennis:

Swarthmore College: 5, Vassar College: 4

The No. 23-ranked Swarthmore women’s tennis hosted No. 33-ranked Vassar College on Friday afternoon for their first competition of the season. The Garnet won one of three doubles matches and four of six singles matches to defeat the Brewers.

Notable Players: Nathalie Williams ’25 won the No. 1-seeded singles match against her opponent, 6-3, 6-4. Oviya Kumaran ’24 and Spencer Watts ’24 combined for the only Garnet doubles win of the competition. They defeated their opponents 8-2. 

Swarthmore College: 6, University of Mary Washington: 3

Swarthmore women’s tennis defeated the No. 27-ranked University of Mary Washington on Sunday at the Mullen Tennis Center. The Garnet won two of three doubles matches and four of six singles matches.

Notable Players: Williams and Kumaran both claimed wins in their respective singles and doubles matches. 

Men’s Tennis:

Swarthmore College: 9, Muhlenberg College: 0

The No. 13-ranked Swarthmore men’s tennis opened Centennial Conference play against Muhlenberg College at Allentown, PA, on Saturday. The Garnet swept the doubles matches and dropped just seven games in singles play.

Notable Players: Aamish Pal ’26 won the No. 1-seeded singles match 6-1, 6-0. Phil Rehwinkel ’24 and Aadhi Raja ’27 won the No. 2-seeded doubles match, 8-1.

Swarthmore College: 8, New York University: 1

The rest of Swarthmore men’s tennis faced New York University on Saturday at the Mullen Tennis Center. The Garnet went 6-0 in singles play and won two of the three doubles matches.

Notable Players: Top-seeded doubles duo, Michael Melnikov ’26 and Utham Koduri ’26, won 8-4, improving to 6-1 on the year. Melnikov won the No. 1-seeded singles match, 6-4, 6-2.

Men’s Basketball:

Swarthmore College: 84 Gettysburg College: 72

Swarthmore men’s basketball faced Gettysburg College on the road on Friday night for the semifinals of the Centennial Conference tournament. The fourth-seeded Garnet defeated the first-seeded Bullets, earning their return to the Centennial Conference Championship Game for the eighth season in a row.

Notable Players: Vinny DeAngelo ’24 tallied 23 points to lead the Garnet offense. Eddie Paquette ’26 and Michael Caprise ’24 both recorded a double-double. Paquette tallied sixteen points and twelve rebounds, and Caprise recorded fifteen points and fourteen rebounds.

Swarthmore College: 67, Johns Hopkins University: 62

Swarthmore men’s basketball defeated the No. 23-ranked Johns Hopkins University on Sunday at Baltimore in the Centennial Conference Championship. The Garnet captured their second straight Centennial Conference title and fourth overall in program history. The win secures an automatic bid to the NCAA Division III Tournament. 

Notable Players: Caprise recorded his second double-double in a row with twenty points and ten rebounds. He was selected the Centennial Tournament MVP. DeAngelo also tallied twenty points on 7-of-13 shooting. 

Women’s Track and Field:

Swarthmore women’s track and field competed at Lancaster, PA, on Saturday and Sunday in the Centennial Conference Indoor Championships. The Garnet took home four medals on Saturday and finished with 60.5 points in total, earning third place. The Garnet will compete at the Tufts National Qualifying Meet on Mar. 2 for a final opportunity to qualify for the NCAA Championships.

Notable Players: Hannah Swale ’26 defended her conference championship in the pentathlon and broke her own program record with 2,945 points. She took first overall in the 60-meter hurdles and shotput. Elizabeth Agyei ’25 earned second in the weight throw with a top mark of 14.71 meters. The distance medley relay of Sophie Goodwin ’27, Cami Bortz ’24, Morgan Mouer ’25, and Olivia Montini ’26 secured third with a 12.39.65 finish. The 4×800-meter relay of Mouer, Goodwin, Lucy Valencia ’27, and Alina Irvine ’25 earned bronze with a time of 9:54.76.

Men’s Track and Field:

Swarthmore men’s track and field competed in the Centennial Conference Indoor Championships at Lancaster, PA, on Saturday and Sunday. The Garnet earned two medals on Saturday and one on Sunday, finishing in eighth of nine teams with 34 total points. The Garnet will compete at the Tufts National Qualifying Meet on Mar. 2 for a final opportunity to qualify for the NCAA Championships.

Notable Players: Gabe Hines ’26 earned gold and a program record in the pole vault with a top mark of 4.60 meters. The distance medley relay of Colin DeLaney ’25, Matthew Gutow ’25, Kenneth Relovsky ’27, and Aiden Tomov ’24 earned silver with a time of 10:21.36. Tomov was the lone medalist on Sunday, placing third in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:57.70. 

Women’s Lacrosse: 

Swarthmore College: 8, Widener University: 7

Swarthmore women’s lacrosse defeated Widener University at Chester, PA, on Saturday to open their 2024 campaign. The Garnet scored one goal in the first quarter, three in the second quarter, two in the third quarter and two in the fourth quarter.

Notable Players: Annabel Stifler ’26 led the Garnet offense with her first-career hat trick, tallying a game-high three goals.

Men’s Lacrosse:

Swarthmore College: 21, Vassar College: 11

The No. 16-ranked Swarthmore men’s lacrosse defeated Vassar College at home on Saturday afternoon. The Garnet narrowly led the game, 9-8, at halftime, before outscoring the Brewers, 12-3, in the second half. 

Notable Players: Von Mabbs ’24 had a game-high six points with three goals and three assists. Carter Strauch ’24 tallied three goals, increasing his team-leading total to eleven goals.