Swarthmore Athletics Weekly Recap:

Swarthmore Athletics

Women’s Track and Field:

Swarthmore women’s track and field competed in the Keogh Invitational on Saturday at Haverford College. The Garnet placed second of nine teams, tallying one first-place finish and several personal records. 

Notable Athletes: Lydia Morris-Kliment ’27 won the long jump with a personal record distance of 5.15 meters. Miranda Kashynski ’24 placed second in the 200-meter dash with a personal record time of 27.69. Evie Parts ’25 finished second in her first collegiate 5,000-meter run with a time of 21.16.44. 

Swarthmore women’s track and field competed in the Princeton Invitational on Sunday at Princeton, NJ. 

Notable Athletes: Trelstad ’25 placed second in the high jump with a distance of 1.55 meters. Hannah Swale ’26 placed second in the triple jump with a top distance of 10.83 meters. Tate Garcia ’26 won the shot put with a top mark of 12.47 meters.

Men’s Track and Field:

Swarthmore men’s track and field competed in the Keogh Invitational on Saturday at Haverford, PA. The Garnet placed second of eight teams, combining for four first-place finishes.

Notable Athletes: Aiden Tomov ’24 won the mile with a time of 4:23.87. Matthew Gutow ’25 won the 400-meter run with a time of 52.14, setting an indoor personal record. Matthew Fleming ’27 finished first in the 5,000-meter run with a personal-best time of 16:21.75. The 4×400 meter relay of Colin DeLaney ’25, Tomov, Isaac Chu ’27, and Bastiaan Phair ’24 placed first with a time of 3:38.82.

Swarthmore men’s track and field competed in the Princeton Invitational on Sunday at Princeton University.

Notable Athletes: Eoin Quinn ’27 tied for second in the high jump with a top mark of 1.80 meters. The first year placed third in the triple jump with a distance of 12.40 meters.

Men’s Lacrosse:

Swarthmore College: 23, Widener University: 2

Swarthmore men’s lacrosse defeated Widener University in their home opener on Saturday afternoon. The team’s impressive 23 goals marked the most on opening day in program history since 1992. The Garnet had fourteen different scorers, including six players recording their first collegiate goals.

Notable Players: Michael Hardiman ’25 and Von Mabbs ’24 each tallied five points. Hardiman had a game high of four goals with one assist, while Mabbs had four assists and one goal.

Swarthmore College: 16, Eastern University: 12

Swarthmore men’s lacrosse traveled to St. David’s, PA, on Wednesday to face Eastern University. After a narrow 10-9 deficit at halftime, the Garnet conceded only two goals in the second half while tallying seven to secure victory. 

Notable Players: Carter Strauch ’24 and Clay Almgren ’26 each scored four goals.

Women’s Basketball:

Swarthmore College: 57, Johns Hopkins University: 71

Swarthmore women’s basketball fell to Johns Hopkins University on Saturday at Baltimore, MD. Although tied, 28-28, at halftime, the Garnet could not manage a lead, allowing 21 points in the third quarter and 22 points in the fourth quarter. Swarthmore concluded the regular season with a 10-10 conference record.

Notable Players: Dana Bandurick ’24 led the offense with fifteen points, while Alyssa Hayashi ’25 added twelve. 

Swarthmore College: 42, Dickinson College: 46

Swarthmore women’s basketball traveled to Carlisle, PA, on Tuesday evening for the first round of the Centennial Conference tournament. The sixth-seeded Garnet fell to the third-seeded Red Devils, ending their season. After a 15-4 deficit in the first quarter, Swarthmore rallied to decrease their losing margin, finishing the half 26-19. Swarthmore almost defeated Dickinson after scoring fourteen points in the final quarter, while holding the Red Devils to just eight. 

Notable Players: Hayashi had a team high of eight points. Katelyn Becker ’25 tallied seven.

Men’s Basketball:

Swarthmore College: 71, Johns Hopkins University: 70

Swarthmore men’s basketball earned a last-second victory against Johns Hopkins University on Saturday in Baltimore, MD. The final regular-season game marked the Garnet’s sixth-straight win. Swarthmore finished with a 14-4 record in conference play. 

Notable Players: Vinny DeAngelo ’24 made the game-winning layup with 1.9 seconds on the clock. The senior led all scorers with a season-high 28 points. Michael Caprise ’24 tallied fifteen points and nine rebounds.

Swarthmore College: 80, Ursinus College: 63

Swarthmore men’s basketball faced Ursinus College on Wednesday at Tarble Pavilion for the first round of the Centennial Conference tournament. The fourth-seeded Garnet defeated the fifth-seeded Bears, scoring 52 points in the second half alone. Swarthmore will face Gettysburg College on Friday for the conference semifinals.

Notable Players: DeAngelo and Eddie Paquette ’26 led the Garnet with 21 points apiece. 

Men’s Tennis:

Swarthmore College: 6, Washington and Lee University: 3

Swarthmore men’s tennis opened their spring season with a win on Sunday at Tarble Pavilion. The Garnet tallied four singles victories and two doubles victories.

Notable Players: Michael Melnikov ’26 and Max Lindstrom ’26 led the Garnet with victories in both doubles and singles actions. Melnikov paired with Utham Koduri ’26 for a No. 1 seed win. Lindstrom paired with Rushil Patel ’24 for a win in the No. 3 seed.