Swarthmore Athletics Weekly Recap:

Swarthmore Athletics

Men’s Track and Field:

Swarthmore men’s track and field competed in the Frank Colden Invitational at Ursinus College on Saturday afternoon, earning several top-five finishes. Next, they will compete at the Fastrack National Invitational on Friday.

Notable Athletes: Aiden Tomov ’24 finished second in the 800-meter run with a season-best time of 1:57.95. Gabriel Hines ’26 earned third in the pole vault with a top height of 3.95 meters and also qualified for the 60-meter dash finals with a time of 7.24.

Women’s Track and Field:

Swarthmore women’s track and field competed at Collegeville, PA, in the Frank Colden Invitational on Saturday. The Garnet earned several top-ten finishes. They will return to action at the Fastrack National Invitational on Friday.

Notable Athletes: Téa Malone-Bonacci ’27 earned first place in the 3000-meter run with a time of 11:15.76. Elizabeth Agyei ’25 took third in the weight throw with a top distance of 13.80 meters. 

Women’s Basketball:

Swarthmore College: 54, McDaniel College: 56

Swarthmore women’s basketball faced McDaniel College on Saturday afternoon at Tarble Pavilion. The Garnet led 16-9 by the end of the first quarter and by as many as sixteen points late in the first half; however, the Green Terror rallied in the second half to narrowly defeat Swarthmore.

Notable Players: Alyssa Hayashi ’25 led the Garnet offense with twelve points. Dana Bandurick ’24 tallied eleven points. 

Swarthmore College: 55, Ursinus College: 67

Swarthmore women’s basketball traveled to Collegeville, PA, on Tuesday evening to face Ursinus College. After a tied first quarter (17-17), the Garnet only scored three points in the second quarter, trailing the Bears 36-20 at half. Despite a 22-point rally in the fourth quarter, Swarthmore could not take the lead.

Notable Players: Dana Bandurick ’24 led the Garnet offense with nineteen points, while Alyssa Hayashi ’25 tallied fifteen.

Men’s Basketball:

Swarthmore College: 67, McDaniel College: 51

Swarthmore men’s basketball faced McDaniel College on Saturday in front of a home crowd. The Garnet never trailed and ended the first half, 35-28. Swarthmore led by as many as nineteen points. This result marks the Garnet’s fifth win in the past six games, securing a spot in the Centennial Conference Tournament.

Notable Players: Vinny DeAngelo ’24 led the Garnet offense with a game-high of 21 points, going 7-for-13 and 3-for-6 from the three-point distance. Caleb Aurelien ’27 had nine rebounds and four steals.

Swarthmore College: 69, Ursinus College: 63

Swarthmore men’s basketball traveled to Collegeville, PA, on Tuesday to face Ursinus College. After an early 5-0 deficit three minutes into the game, the Garnet led the rest of the first half, ending 33-28. The second half was much tighter, with the Bears taking the narrow lead on several occasions; however, Swarthmore bested Ursinus, 69-63, to improve their conference record to 11-4.

Notable Players: Michael Caprise ’24 led the Garnet offense with 22 points and eleven rebounds, while DeAngelo tallied eleven points.

Women’s Swimming:

Swarthmore College: 204, Franklin and Marshall College: 55

Swarthmore women’s swimming dominated Franklin and Marshall College on Saturday at home, placing first in every event and sweeping the top-three positions in five events. The Garnet finished the regular season with a perfect dual meet record (11-0) for the third straight year and swept Centennial Conference opponents for the fourth straight season. The win against the Diplomats marked the team’s 31st consecutive conference victory and 29th straight dual meet win. 

Notable Players: The program honored seniors Ashley Wong ’24, Laura Strachan ’24, Paige Poteet ’24, Cara Lee ’24, Vivian Guo ’24, Anastasia Erley ’24, Lexi Duffy ’24, Sarah Conley ’24, and Kaja Arusha ’24 for their contributions over the past four years. Duffy, Quinn Weygandt ’26, Sophie Rotival ’25, Lauren Rohde ’25, and Elle Anthony ’26 each won two events for the Garnet.

Men’s Swimming:

Swarthmore College: 170, Franklin and Marshall College: 91

Swarthmore men’s swimming defeated Franklin and Marshall College on Saturday at home, finishing with a perfect conference record for the second straight season and seventeen straight conference dual match wins. The Garnet men placed first overall in eleven of the fourteen events.

Notable Players: The program honored seniors Ben Wesley ’24, Ethan Marotte ’24, Andrew Karpenko ’24, Ben Freeman ’24, Finn Conaway ’24, Vijay Chhabra ’24, Joey Lukner ’24, and Hayden Brown ’24 for their contributions over the past four years. Freeman and Conaway led the Garnet each with a pair of wins.