Swarthmore Athletics Weekly Recap

Swarthmore Athletics

Men’s Tennis:

Swarthmore College: 9, Gettysburg College: 0

On Thursday, April 13, Swarthmore men’s tennis faced Gettysburg College away in Gettysburg, PA. To secure their third straight Centennial Conference sweep, the No. 28 ranked Garnet defeated the Bullets, 9-0. Swarthmore found victories in all three doubles matches and all three singles matches.

Notable Players: Michael Melnikov ’26 and Utham Koduri ’26 fought hard in the challenging No. 1 seeded doubles match, coming out on top, 8-5. Max Lindstrom ’26 and Rushil Patel ’24 also battled in the No. 2 seeded doubles match, finding a narrow 8-6 victory.

Swarthmore College: 7, Mary Washington College: 2

On Saturday, April 15, Swarthmore men’s tennis took to the road to face Mary Washington College in Fredericksburg, VA. The No. 28 Garnet secured an important 7-2 win against the No. 34 ranked Eagles. The Garnet earned wins in two of three doubles matches and five of the six singles matches.

Notable Players: Lindstrom battled in the No. 2 seeded singles match. After winning the first set 6-1, the first-year fell 6-0 in the second set. However, Lindstrom triumphed in the final set, 6-3, to secure Garnet victory. 

Women’s Tennis:

Swarthmore College: 8, Gettysburg College: 1

On Sunday, April 16, Swarthmore women’s tennis competed against Gettysburg College. The No. 20 ranked Garnet took down the Bullets, 8-1, to earn their third straight dual match win. The Garnet won all three doubles matches and five of the six singles matches. 

Notable Players: Marisa Geib ’25 and Riya Rao ’26 were stellar in the No. 3 seeded doubles match, securing an easy 8-2 win. 

Swarthmore College: 9, Bryn Mawr College: 0

On Wednesday, April 19, Swarthmore women’s tennis faced Bryn Mawr College at home. To sweep the Owls, the Garnet won all three doubles matches and all six singles matches.

Notable Players: Kathleen Shiffer ’26 and Crystal Xu ’23 dominated in the No. 1 seeded doubles match, defeating their opponents, 8-0. 

Women’s Track and Field:

On Friday, April 14, Swarthmore women’s track and field was represented in the Bucknell University Bison Outdoor Classic in Lewisburg, PA. Hannah Swale ’26 competed in the heptathlon, finishing eighth in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 16.21 seconds and fourth in the high jump at a top mark of 1.51 meters. The first-year finished sixth overall with 2,418 points.

On Friday, April 14, Swarthmore women’s track and field was also represented in Princeton University’s Larry Ellis Invitational in Princeton, NJ. Rose Teszler ’23 competed in the 800-meter run, finishing fifth in her heat and 29th overall with a time of 2:12.89. Teszler’s finish is the ninth fastest time in all of Division III outdoor track and field this season. 

On Saturday, April 15, Swarthmore women’s track and field competed in the Middlesex College Invitational in Edison, NJ. The Garnet finished sixth overall out of sixteen teams.

Notable Players: Tate Garcia ’26 finished second in the discus throw with a top mark and personal record of 37.86 meters. Sophia Springer ’26 finished third in the pole vault with a top height of 3.05 meters. 

Men’s Track and Field:

On Friday, April 14, Swarthmore men’s track and field was represented in Princeton University’s Larry Ellis Invitational in Princeton, NJ. Aidan Cantine ’23 finished eighteenth in the 1500-meter run with a time of 3:48.36. The senior’s finish marks the second fastest time in all of Division III this season and a new personal record. Colin DeLaney ’25 competed in the 3000-meter steeplechase, finishing in twentieth place with a time of 9:25.97. DeLaney’s finish is the 27th fastest time in all of Division III so far this season.

On Saturday, April 15, Swarthmore men’s track and field competed in the Middlesex College Invitational in Edison, NJ. The Garnet tied for fifth place out of nineteen teams.

Notable Players: Sam Brody ’24 finished in second place in the 1500-meter with a time of 4:09.08, setting a new personal record. Paul Seth ’23 finished third in the pole vault with a top height of 3.50 meters. 

Baseball:

Swarthmore College: 3, Johns Hopkins University: 16

On Friday, April 14, Swarthmore’s baseball team fell to Johns Hopkins University at home on Clothier Baseball Field. The Garnet had nine hits, yet tallied only three runs, falling to the Blue Jays, 3-16.

Notable Players: Benjamin Buchman ’25 had two hits and the lone run-batted-in for the Garnet. Ethan Weiss ’24 pitched a hitless eighth and ninth inning for the Garnet, allowing just two hits and striking out three batters.

Swarthmore College: 10, Gettysburg College: 2

On Sunday, April 16, Swarthmore’s baseball team competed in a doubleheader against Gettysburg College on the road in Gettysburg, PA. In the first game against the Bullets, the Garnet secured a solid 10-2 victory.

Notable Players: Buchman had three runs and one run-batted-in off of three at-bats. 

Swarthmore College: 8, Gettysburg College: 7

On Sunday, April 16, Swarthmore’s baseball team competed in their second of two games against Gettysburg College. The Garnet earned a narrow 8-7 victory to sweep the Bullets. 

Notable Players: Joe Radek ’24 had three runs and one run-batted-in off of three at-bats.

Swarthmore College: 18, Ursinus College: 2

On Tuesday, April 18, Swarthmore’s baseball team dominated Ursinus College at home on Clothier Baseball Field. The Garnet tallied a total of fourteen hits to secure eighteen runs against the Bears. All nine starters for the Garnet crossed home plate. Efficient on defense too, Swarthmore only allowed two runs for Ursinus.

Notable Players: Aidan Sullivan ’26 led the Garnet offense going four-for-four at-bat with a home run, two triples, and a single, leading to a career-high of five runs-batted-in.

Softball:

Swarthmore College: 4, Washington College: 5

On Sunday, April 16, Swarthmore’s softball team competed in a double header against Washington College in Chestertown, MD. In the first game, the Garnet had seven hits yet only four runs, falling to the Shorewomen, 4-5.

Notable Players: Grace Taylor ’25 led the Garnet offensively with two runs-batted-in and one run, going one for two at-bat.

Swarthmore College: 4, Washington College: 6

On Sunday, April 16, Swarthmore’s softball team competed in their second of two games against Washington College. The Garnet fell to the Shorewomen again in the finale, 4-6.

Notable Players: Alexandra Simon ’24 had all four of the team’s runs-batted-in. The junior had a two-run home run, which is her first of the season.

Swarthmore College: 6, Ursinus College: 8

On Tuesday, April 18, Swarthmore’s softball team faced Ursinus College in a doubleheader in Collegeville, PA. In the first game, the Garnet had nine hits and six runs, falling to the Bears, 6-8, in the back-and-forth game. 

Notable Players: Simon and Olivia McClammy ’25 each had a pair of runs-batted-in. 

Swarthmore College: 2, Ursinus College: 10

On Tuesday, April 18, Swarthmore’s softball team faced Ursinus College in the second of two games in Collegeville, PA. The Garnet managed only three hits and two runs, losing to the Bears, 2-10.

Notable Players: Iris Barone ’26 had a pair of hits and one run-batted-in.

Men’s Golf:

On Saturday, April 15, Swarthmore men’s golf competed in the Dickinson College Spring Invitational in Carlisle, PA. In the first round, the Garnet scored a season-low team score of 289, finishing one-over-par. In the second round, the Garnet earned a score of 286, which ranks second all-time in program history. The Garnet shot four-under-par as a team, setting a new program record.

Notable Players: Dylan Zhang ’26 finished second in the tournament with a two-round score of 138 (-6). The first-year tied the program record for best single-round score at 67 (-5) in his second round and set a new 36-hole program record by five strokes. 

Women’s Lacrosse:

Swarthmore College: 18, McDaniel College: 9

On Saturday, April 15, Swarthmore women’s lacrosse faced McDaniel College at home on Clothier Field. The Garnet came out strong in the first quarter, scoring four goals to take a 4-0 lead. The Garnet kept their momentum, winning the game by a score of 18-9.

Notable Players: Emma Holub ’23 had three goals and four assists. Isabela Bloomquist ’25 and Elizabeth Zack ’25 each had four goals.

Swarthmore College: 5, Muhlenberg College: 14

On Wednesday, April 19, Swarthmore women’s lacrosse competed against Muhlenberg College in Allentown, PA. Although only trailing by one goal at half, 3-4, the Garnet ultimately fell to the Mules, 5-14.

Notable Players: Bloomquist led the Garnet offense with two goals. 

Men’s Lacrosse:

Swarthmore College: 4, Dickinson College: 17

On Saturday, April 15, No. 16 ranked Swarthmore men’s lacrosse team competed against No. 12 ranked Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA. The Garnet suffered their first conference loss of the season, falling to the Red Devils, 4-17.

Notable Players: Von Mabbs ’24 led the Garnet offense with two goals. Ryan Pretzer ’26 had a game-high of fourteen saves in the net. 

Swarthmore College: 15, Ursinus College: 10

On Wednesday, April 19, Swarthmore men’s lacrosse faced Ursinus College in Collegeville, PA. The Garnet had an impressive seven goals in the third quarter to secure a 15-10 win over the Bears.

Notable Players: Von Mabbs ’24 had four goals while Rex Mabbs ’26 had three goals.