Swarthmore Athletics Weekly Recap

Swarthmore Athletics

Women’s Swimming:

Over the weekend, ten swimmers represented the Swarthmore women’s swim team at the NCAA Championships in Greensboro, NC. The Garnet had great success with three individual and two relay All-American honorable mention distinctions. Kate Hallmark ’26 finished sixteenth overall in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:00.87. Quinn Weygandt ’26 earned thirteenth overall in the 400-yard individual medley with a time of 4:27.26. Sophie Rotival ’25 finished twelfth overall in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:03.70. Erin Szuromi ’25, Gaby Ma ’23, Ashley Wong ’24, and Elle Anthony ’26 earned fifteenth in the 200-medley relay, clocking a time of 1:44.54. The team of Szuromi, Rotival, Wong, and Anthony finished tenth with a school and conference record time of 3:47.00. 

Men’s Swimming:

Four swimmers represented the Swarthmore men’s swim team at the NCAA Championships in Greensboro, NC over the weekend. The Garnet earned two individual and one relay All-American honorable mention distinctions. Andrew Karpenko ’24 shone for the Garnet, finishing fifteenth in the 100-yard breastroke with a time of 54.99. The junior also competed in the 200-yard breastroke, recording a time of 2:00.72 to earn an eighth place finish. The team of Joey Lukner ’25, Karpenko, Cami Wilson ’26, and Cole Griscavage ’25 placed fifteenth in the 400-medley relay, clocking a time of 3:20.85.

Softball:

Swarthmore College: 5, Eastern University: 6

On Thursday, March 16, Swarthmore’s softball team competed in their first home doubleheader of the season. In the first game against Eastern University, the Garnet took an early 2-0 lead; however, the Eagles responded with runs of their own. The Garnet battled back and forth with the Eagles for a lead the rest of the game, ultimately losing by a narrow 5-6 score.

Notable Players: Olivia McClammy ’25 led the offensive with two hits, an RBI, a run, and her first home run of the season. 

Swarthmore College: 3, Eastern University: 4

On Thursday, March 16, Swarthmore softball competed in their second of two games against Eastern University. The Eagles gained an early lead, and the Garnet were not able to catch up, falling to Eastern University 3-4.

Notable Players: Lane Barron ’26 was stellar on the mound, allowing just one hit and recording a strikeout during 1.1 innings pitched.

Swarthmore College: 3, RV University of Lynchburg: 4

On Saturday, March 18, Swarthmore softball faced the RV University of Lynchburg in Salisbury, MD. In the seven-inning game, the Garnet fell to the Hornets, 3-4.

Notable Players: Avery McClure ’26, McClammy, and Alexandra Simon ’24 all had runs.

Swarthmore College: 3, Salisbury University: 8

On Saturday, March 18, Swarthmore softball faced No. 1 ranked Salisbury University in Salisbury, MD. The Garnet fell to the Seagulls, 3-8.

Notable Players: Emily Bertrand ’25 had a home run in the second inning. 

Swarthmore College: 7, Widener University: 2

On Tuesday, March 21, Swarthmore’s softball team faced Widener University in the first of two games. The Garnet played in the double header against the Pride at home on Clothier Softball Field. The Garnet earned seven runs off of ten total hits to beat the Pride by an impressive 7-2 score.

Notable Players: Lane Barron ’26 pitched an impressive six innings, allowing just one earned run and striking out five batters.

Swarthmore College: 3, Widener University: 2

On Tuesday, March 21, Swarthmore’s softball team played in their second game against Widener University. The Garnet earned three runs off of eight total hits to beat the Pride narrowly, 3-2.

Notable Players: Iris Barone ’26 was two for two at bat, clocking two runs. 

Baseball:

Swarthmore College: 13, Misericordia University: 9

On Thursday, March 16, Swarthmore baseball faced Misericordia University at home on Clothier Baseball Field. Although the Garnet fell early to the Cougars, giving up eight runs in the first three innings, Swarthmore managed to come back and defeat Misericordia, 13-9, marking their first win in nearly two weeks.

Notable Players: Austin Burgess ’23 recorded four hits, two runs, and two RBIs. Alexander Rimerman ’25 was stellar on the mound with no hits, no runs, and two strikeouts, pitching a perfect top of the ninth.

Swarthmore College: 10, Immaculata University: 4

On Saturday, March 18, Swarthmore’s baseball team faced Immaculata University at home on Clothier Baseball Field. The Garnet secured a 10-4 victory over the Mighty Macs with an impressive six runs in the eighth inning. 

Notable Players: Joe Radek ’24 had his second home run in two games. Aidan Sullivan ’26 had his first career home run.

Swarthmore College: 3, Rutgers-Camden University: 5

On Tuesday, March 21, Swarthmore’s baseball team faced Rutgers-Camden University in Camden, NJ. The Garnet had seven hits, yet only three runs, falling to the Scarlet Raptors, 3-5. 

Notable Players: Matthew Silvestre ’25 led the offense with a walk and a run on four at bats. Steven Jungers ’26 allowed just one hit and one run in two innings pitched.

Swarthmore College: 10, Eastern University: 4

On Wednesday, March 22, Swarthmore’s baseball team competed against Eastern University in St. David’s, PA. The Garnet took an early lead, scoring two runs in each of the first two innings. The Garnet maintained their momentum against the Eagles the entire game, scoring four runs in the eighth inning to secure a victory.

Notable Players: Max Roffwarg ’25 led the Garnet offense, earning two hits and two runs with five at-bats. Aidan Sullivan ’26 had four at-bats and also scored two runs.

Men’s Basketball:

Swarthmore College: 66, Christopher Newport University: 69

On Thursday, March 16, Swarthmore men’s basketball competed in the NCAA Final Four in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The Garnet faced No. 2 ranked Christopher Newport University. Their incredible postseason run came to an end after a narrow loss to the Captains, 66-69. 

Notable Players: Vinny DeAngelo ’24 and George Visconti ’23 had twenty-three points and twenty-one points, respectively, to lead the Garnet offense. 

Women’s Tennis:

Swarthmore College: 5, Hamilton College: 4

On Saturday, March 18, Swarthmore women’s tennis faced Hamilton College at home in the Mullen Tennis Center. The Garnet dropped two of the three doubles matches, but came out on top in four of six singles matches to earn a narrow 5-4 win over the Continentals. 

Notable Players: Doubles team Oviya Kumaran ’24 and Spencer Watts ’24 earned the only Garnet win in doubles play in the No. 3 seeded match.

Swarthmore College: 9, Ursinus College: 0

On Wednesday, March 22, Swarthmore women’s tennis faced Ursinus College on the road. The Garnet swept the Bears, winning all three doubles matches and all three singles matches.

Notable Players: In the No. 3 seeded doubles match, Kathleen Shiffer ’26 and Daniela Padro-Castillo ’24 won 8-1. In singles play, Shiffer, Lisa Messier ’26, and Anna Miller ’24 all won 6-0, 6-0.

Women’s Lacrosse:

Swarthmore College: 14, Albright College: 9

On Saturday, March 18, Swarthmore women’s lacrosse faced Albright College on the road in Reading, PA. To maintain their undefeated record this season, the Garnet beat the Lions, 14-9.

Notable Players: Francesca Richardson ’23 led the Garnet offense with three goals and one assist, collecting her first career hat trick. Goalkeeper Helen Stafford ’24 made eleven saves.

Men’s Lacrosse: 

Swarthmore College: 16, Arcadia University: 10

On Saturday, March 18, Swarthmore men’s lacrosse faced Arcadia University in Glenside, PA. The Garnet took an early lead in the first quarter to pull off an impressive 16-10 win over the Knights.

Notable Players: Von Mabbs ’24 had five goals and one assist. Carter Strauch ’24 had his fourth hat trick of the season.