Swarthmore Athletics Weekly Recap:

Swarthmore Athletics

Women’s Basketball:

Swarthmore College: 52, McDaniel College: 42

On Thursday, Feb. 9, Swarthmore women’s basketball took to the road to face McDaniel College on their home court in Westminster, MD. The Garnet got off to a fast start, tallying fifteen points to the Green Terror’s two points within the first five minutes of the game. They ended the first half with a solid lead, 32-22. The Green Terror rallied in the fourth quarter, nearly catching up to the Garnet’s lead, but six points within the last minutes of the game secured a Garnet victory. 

Notable Players: Dana Bandurick ’23.5 scored fourteen points and had fourteen rebounds, Bandurick’s second double-double of the season. Alyssa Hayashi ’25 scored thirteen points and had six rebounds. Anna Hansson ’26 scored twelve points and secured Garnet victory late in the game.

Swarthmore College: 87, Bryn Mawr College: 32

On Saturday, Feb. 11, Swarthmore women’s basketball faced Bryn Mawr College on the Garnet’s home court, Tarble Pavilion, to celebrate Senior Day. The Garnet had a season-high scoring performance over the Owls, leading the entire contest in dominant fashion. The Garnet went on a 14-0 run in the first quarter and ended the half solidly at 44-20. The Garnet similarly dominated the third and fourth quarters, scoring 23 and 20 points, respectively. Swarthmore ended the game with a tremendous 87-32 victory. 

Notable Players: Making the most of their Senior Day, Kim Kockenmeister ’23 and Colleen Anderson ’23 scored sixteen points and thirteen points, respectively, to lead the Garnet. Kockenmeister also had six rebounds and six assists, while Anderson made three three-pointers.

Swarthmore College: 38, Haverford College: 51

On Wednesday, Feb. 15, Swarthmore women’s basketball faced Haverford College in Haverford, PA. The Black Squirrels came out strong from the start, ending the first quarter 5-23, with the Garnet trailing. However, the Garnet came back with vengeance in the second quarter, tallying twelve points and keeping the Black Squirrels at bay with just a single point. The third quarter was more evenly matched, but Haverford maintained a lead, 29-40. Ultimately, Swarthmore was unable to outscore Haverford and lost the game 38-51.

Notable Players: Dana Bandurick ’23.5 led the offense with thirteen points and two assists. Anna Hansson ’26 had seven points and three assists. 

Men’s Basketball:

Swarthmore College: 84, McDaniel College: 60

On Saturday, Feb. 11, Swarthmore men’s basketball played their senior night game at home on Tarble Pavilion against McDaniel College. The Garnet ended the first half with a strong lead, 42-29. Swarthmore opened the second half forcefully with an early ten points to the Green Terror’s zero. The Garnet secured a tremendous 84-60 win to celebrate their seniors.

Notable Players: Vinny DeAngelo ’24 led the team to victory with 22 points. TJ Chapman ’23 scored eleven points, and George Visconti ’23 added ten points.

Swarthmore College: 71, Haverford College: 58

On Wednesday, Feb. 15, the Swarthmore men’s basketball team faced Haverford College away on Haverford’s home court. Haverford took an early lead and led the entire first half, which ended 25-34. But the Garnet came out strong in the second half, slowly decreasing their deficit to the Black Squirrels. With eight minutes left in the game, the Garnet finally tied up the score. They were able to increase their winning margin from there on out, coming away with a hard-fought and solid 71-58 victory. 

Notable Players: George Visconti ’23 led the Garnet’s offense with 30 points, and Cal Hanson ’26 had fourteen points and three assists.

Women’s Track and Field:

On Friday, Feb. 10, Rose Teszler ’23 and Emily Trelstad ’25 represented Swarthmore women’s track and field at Boston University’s David Hemery Valentine Invitational. Teszler competed in the 800-meter run and set the Swarthmore program record with a time of 2:13.17. The senior bested the former record of 2:13.68, set in 2014 by three-time All-American Katie Jo McMenamin ’16. Teszler finished 92nd overall out of 248 runners in the event. Trelstad competed in the high jump and received a top mark of 1.51 meters. Swarthmore women’s track and field will compete next at the Keough Invitational in Haverford, PA on Saturday, Feb. 18.

Men’s Track and Field:

On Saturday, Feb. 11, Ethan Rothenberg ’23 and Aidan Cantine ’23 represented Swarthmore men’s track and field at the David Hemery Valentine Invitational at Boston University. Rothenberg competed in the 800-meter run, recording a time of 1:55.33. The senior placed 159th overall out of 328 runners. Cantine competed in the one-mile run, finishing with a time of 4:11.69. The senior finished 192nd out of 432 runners. Cantine is currently ranked 13th in the nation in Division III for the mile run. Cantine holds the Swarthmore program record of 4:09.45 in the mile. Swarthmore men’s track and field will compete next at the Keough Invitational in Haverford, PA, on Saturday, Feb. 18.