Weekly Recap

Baseball

Swarthmore: 8, Johns Hopkins: 3

Swarthmore baseball earned a decisive 8-3 victory over Johns Hopkins on Friday, April 8, in Baltimore. The Garnet tallied ten hits en route to the victory.

Notable players: Paul Cooke ’22, Nate Jbara ’23, and Matthew Silvestre ’25 each hit a home run. Jbara went two-for-four with three RBIs.

Swarthmore: 2, Gettysburg: 3

Swarthmore: 11, Gettysburg: 5

The Garnet collected one win and one loss in a doubleheader at home against Gettysburg on Saturday, April 9. Despite outhitting Gettysburg eight to four, the Garnet lost the first game 2-3. In the second game, the Garnet’s strong offense propelled the team to an 11-5 win.

Notable players: In the first game, Nate Jbara ’23 hit a homerun, and Edward Berry ’24 collected eight strikeouts over eight innings. In the second game, Austin Burgess ’23 hit two home runs. Burgess went two-for-three with five RBIs. 

Swarthmore: 9, Haverford: 0

Swarthmore baseball shutout Haverford 9-0 in an away game matchup on Tuesday, April 12. The team now posts a 12-15 record with a 5-2 record in the Centennial Conference. The Garnet faces Haverford again on Friday, April 15, at home.

Notable players: Michael Sepe ’22 went three-for-three with a home run, a double, and four RBIs. Austin Burgess ’23 went two-for-four with a triple, a double, and two RBIs. Zach Camp ’22 threw four shutout innings with seven strikeouts. 

Men’s Golf

Garden State Collegiate

Swarthmore men’s golf took fourth place out of eleven teams this past weekend at the Garden State Collegiate. The Garnet concludes the spring season at the Centennial Conference Championship from April 22 to April 24 at the Hershey Country Club in Hershey, PA. 

Notable players: Michael Brown ’22 tied for seventh place overall with a 150 after two rounds. 

Men’s Lacrosse

Swarthmore: 14, Gettysburg: 10

Despite trailing at halftime, Swarthmore men’s lacrosse took the lead over Gettysburg with an explosive third quarter to win the home matchup 14-10 on Saturday, April 9. 

Notable players: Von Mabbs ’24 led the scoring with five goals. Alex Strauch ’24 had three caused turnovers. 

Swarthmore: 8, Washington: 9

The Garnet fell in a very close away game matchup against Washington on Wednesday, April 13. The team now posts a 7-6 record and a 1-4 record in the Centennial Conference. The Garnet plays an away game at McDaniel on Saturday, April 16. 

Notable players: Von Mabbs ’24 scored three goals, and Quin Seivold ’22 had three assists. 

Women’s Lacrosse

Swarthmore: 5, Gettysburg: 18

Swarthmore women’s lacrosse fell in an away game to Gettysburg on Saturday, April 9. The Garnet now posts a 6-4 record and a 1-3 record in the Centennial Conference. The team faces McDaniel College in Westminster, MD, on Saturday, April 16. 

Notable players: Isabela Bloomquist ’25 led the scoring with two goals and one assist. 

Men’s Tennis

Swarthmore: 2, University of Mary Washington: 7

Swarthmore men’s tennis, ranked No. 32, fell to the No. 19 ranked University of Mary Washington in a home matchup on Saturday, April 9. The Garnet now posts a 12-5 record. 

Notable players: Phil Rehwinkel ’24 and Noah Criss ’22 both won singles matches.

Women’s Tennis

Swarthmore: 5, University of Mary Washington: 4

In a close matchup, Swarthmore defeated University of Mary Washington on Saturday, April 9, at home. The Garnet’s record improved to 8-1 on the season.

Notable players: Crystal Xu ’23 and Nathalie Williams ’25 won first doubles. Erica Stutz ’24, Oviya Kumaran ’24, and Crystal Xu ’23 all won singles matches. 

Swarthmore: 9, Ursinus: 0

The Garnet won a decisive victory over Ursinus on Wednesday, April 13, at home. The team now ranks No. 27 in Division III and posts a 9-1 record and a 4-0 record in the Centennial Conference. 

Notable players: Nathalie Williams ’25 and Spencer Watts ’24 won first doubles 8-0. Jenny Lewis ’24 won first singles 6-1, 6-2, and Williams won second singles 6-0, 6-0. 

Softball

Swarthmore: 1, Washington: 2

Swarthmore: 6, Washington: 1

Swarthmore’s fourteen-game win streak ended on Saturday, April 9, as the team fell in the first game of a doubleheader against Washington. The Garnet earned a decisive victory in the second game, besting Washington 6-1.

Notable players: In the first game, Alexandra Simon ’24 went two-for-four with a home run. In the second game, Gwen Glatz ’22 went four-for-four with one RBI, and Meg Ozawa ’23 pitched all seven innings to earn the win.

Swarthmore: 3, Eastern: 4

The Garnet fell to Eastern on Tuesday, April 12, in a non-conference game in St. Davids, PA. The team now posts a 16-4 record and a 5-1 record in the Centennial Conference.

Notable players: Emily Betrand ’25 went three-for-three to lead the team in hits. Gwen Glatz ’22 went two-for-four with a triple and one RBI.

Men’s Track & Field

Ursinus College Invitational

Swarthmore men’s track and field competed in the Ursinus College Invitational this past weekend in Collegeville, PA. The Garnet earned a number of top-ten finishes in several events.

Notable athletes: Sam Brody ’24 took first place in the 5000-meter run with a time of 15:32.18. Harrison Kim ’24 took second place behind Brody with a time of 15:46.10. 

Women’s Track & Field

Ursinus College Invitational

Swarthmore women’s track & field competed in the Ursinus College Invitational on Saturday, April 9. Six athletes earned a total of eight top-three finishes for the Garnet.

Notable athletes: Krystle Boadi ’23 took second place in both the 100-meter dash and the 200-meter dash. Alyssa Zhang ’24 took third place in both the triple jump and the long jump.