Weekly Recap

Men’s Baseball

Swarthmore: 11, Washington College: 8

Swarthmore: 7, Washington College: 8

Men’s baseball dominated the double header against Washington College this Saturday, April 2, in their first Centennial Conference game of the season. 

Notable players: Luke Mutz ’22 went three-for-three in the first game and two-for-five in the second, with a total of four runs and three BB. Edward Berry ’24 pitched 7.1 innings with four strikeouts.   

Swarthmore: 3, Johns Hopkins: 9

The Garnet lost 3-9 to Hopkins at home this Tuesday, April 5, in their first conference loss of the season. The team will travel to face Hopkins again this Friday, April 8, with a chance to draw even. 

Notable players: Austin Burgess ’23 went two-for-four, with three RBIs and two doubles. Max Roffwarg ’25 hit two-for-three, one double and one run. 

Men’s Golf 

Hershey Cup

Men’s golf finished thirteenth out of seventeen teams in the Hershey Cup this weekend, April 3-4, with four golfers scoring under 80 on the last day of the tournament. 

Notable players: Jackson Murphy ’24 and Michael Brown ’22 jointly tied for 46th overall and Ben Lee ’24 carded a team-low of 72 (+2). 

Ursinus Spring Invitational

In a strong showing, the Garnet claimed first place out of eleven at the Ursinus Spring Invitational this past Tuesday, April 5, with a team score of 308 and four golfers carding scores under 80.  

Notable players: Henry Lei ’24 and Ankur Malik ’22 tied for fourth overall with 76 (+6) and Gyan Bains ’23 and Chad Kemmerer ’25 tied for eighth overall with 78 (+8). 

Women’s Lacrosse

Swarthmore: 4, Franklin & Marshall: 16

Women’s lacrosse lost to No. 5 Franklin & Marshall 4-16 on Saturday, April 2, ending the team’s six-game winning streak. 

Notable players: Isabela Bloomquist ’25 led the offensive with four points from three goals and one assist, and Eleanor Miller ’22 secured three ground balls.    

Swarthmore: 11, Ursinus College: 12

Women’s lacrosse lost a close game 11-12 to Ursinus College this Wednesday, April 6. The Garnet will next face Gettysburg away on Saturday, April 9.

Notable players: Isabela Bloomquist ’25 both scored three goals and collected three ground balls. Abigail Love ’25 also added her own hat trick to the scoreline. 

Women’s Softball

Swarthmore: 10, Penn State Brandywine: 2

Swarthmore: 6, Penn State Brandywine: 4

The Garnet completed a sweep against Penn State Brandywine last Thursday, March 31, in a strong team performance, winning 10-2 and 6-4 over the course of the afternoon.

Notable players: Alexandra Simon ’24 recorded her first home run of her college career with a hit that bounced off the top of the fence. Emily Bertrand ’25 went four-for-four with two RBIs and Gwen Glatz ’25 his four-for-six with three runs and four RBIs.  

Swarthmore: 4, Franklin & Marshall: 1

Swarthmore: 10, Franklin & Marshall: 0

Women’s softball extended their twelve-game winning streak with a sweep against Franklin and Marshall last Saturday, April 2, that began their Conference play. The Garnet fought hard for a 4-1 win before dominating the second game 10-0.

Notable players: Olivia McClammy ’25 had five RBIs, one home run, and one double. Meg Ozawa ’23 pitched five shutout innings and six strikeouts.  

Swarthmore: 5, Muhlenberg: 1

Swarthmore: 8, Muhlenberg: 4

The Garnet added to their fourteen-game winning streak with 5-1 and 8-4 victories over Muhlenberg on Tuesday, April 5. The team is currently 15-2 in season and 4-0 in conference. 

Notable players: Gwen Glatz ’25 went five-for-six with five RBIs and one run. Maya Estrera ’25 hit three-for-seven with one RBI and two runs.   

Men’s Tennis

Swarthmore: 9, Franklin & Marshall: 0

No. 29 men’s tennis triumphed 9-0 against Franklin & Marshall to secure a 4-0 in conference record and nine-match winning streak.

Notable players: Grant Dill ’23 and John Nicholas-Daly ’22 won 8-7 in the number one doubles, and Kevin Jiang ’25 secured the number one singles spot with a 6-3, 6-3 victory. 

Swarthmore: 3, TCNJ: 6

The Garnet fell 3-6 away to TCNJ last Sunday, April 3, in a non-conference matchup.  

Notable players: Grant Dill ’23 and John Nicholas-Daly ’22 won 8-5 in the number one doubles and Rushil Patel ’24 claimed the number three singles with a hard fought 6-3, 3-6, 11-9 win. 

Swarthmore: 7, Haverford: 2

Men’s tennis won 7-2 away against Haverford this Wednesday, April 6. The Garnet will next face the University of Mary and Washington on Saturday, April 9.

Notable players: Charley Force ’24 and Rushil Patel ’24 claimed the number two singles spot with a 8-2 victory. Force also won in the number one singles 6-1, 6-1.   

Women’s Tennis

Swarthmore: 9, Franklin & Marshall: 0

No. 26 women’s tennis earned their second sweep of the season with a 9-0 win against Franklin & Marshall, moving to a 3-0 conference record. 

Notable players: Crystal Xu ’23 and Nathalie Williams ’25 claimed the number one doubles with a 8-2 win and Jenny Lewis ’24 fought for a 6-0, 6-3 win in the number one singles position. 

Men’s Track and Field

Danny Curran Invitational

Swarthmore men’s track and field competed at the Danny Curran Invitational tournament this weekend, April 1-2, at Widener University.

Notable athletes: Jonah Covitz ’22 finished ninth in the triple jump with a distance of 12.01m. Ethan Rothenberg ’23 earned a sixth place finish in the 1500-m run with a time of 4:01.97, breaking his personal outdoor best. Colin Delaney ’25 placed third overall in the 3000-m steeplechase with a time of 9:54.92.     

TCNJ Invitational

On Saturday morning, April 2, a number of Garnet throwers competed in the TCNJ Invitational tournament in New Jersey.

Notable athletes: Luca Cerbin ’22 earned a fifth place spot in the javelin with a throw of 48.22m.  

Women’s Track and Field

Danny Curran Invitational

Notable athletes: Nora Blodgett ’22 placed first in the 5k race with a time of 18:04.25. Adria Retter ’23 finished in second place in the shot put with a throw of 13.69m, beating her previous outdoor personal best. Krystle Boadi ’23 finished second in the 200-m with a time of 26.12, an outdoor personal best. Emily Trelstad ’25 earned third in the high jump, reaching a height of 1.55m. 

TCNJ Invitational

Notable athletes: Adria Retter ’23 claimed a first place finish in the discus throw with a distance of 46.03m (the only competitor to throw over 40m) and fourth in the hammer with a throw of 40.76m. Jillian Provaznik ’25 finished third in the javelin, recording a 33.32m throw.