Weekly Recap

Men’s Golf

Swarthmore men’s golf traveled to the Eastern Invitational last Thursday, March 17, where they tied for the top team score with Rosemont College, accumulating a team score of 314.      

Notable players: Michael Brown ’22 tied for second overall individually, with a score of 76.

Men’s Baseball

Swarthmore: 6, Immaculata: 10

The Garnet lost 6-10 to Immaculata University last Friday, March 18. 

Notable players: Nate Jbara ’23 went two-for-four, with two RBIs, two runs, and one home run. 

Swarthmore: 8, Montclair St: 7

Swarthmore men’s baseball won a tightly contested battle against Montclair State University last Saturday, March 19. The Red Hawks leveled the score 7-7 in the eighth inning before a perfect bunt single from Paul Cooke ’22 brought in the winning run for Swarthmore. 

Notable players: Cooke went three-for-four, with four RBIs, one run, one double, and one BB. Jbara went two-for-three with two RBIs, one home run, and one BB. Edward Berry ’25 pitched six innings, with one earned run and eight strikeouts.     

Swarthmore: 2, Misericordia: 10

Swarthmore men’s baseball lost 2-10 to Misericordia University on Tuesday night, March 22. The Garnet will next take the field against Ramapo this Saturday, March 26.

Notable players: Jbara went two-for-two, Max Roffwarg ’25 went one-for-two with two RBIs and one BB, and Casey Jordan ’24 pitched two innings with two strikeouts.   

Men’s Lacrosse

Swarthmore: 16, Roger Williams St: 9

Men’s lacrosse defeated Roger Williams 16-9 in a strong display at Clothier Field on Saturday, March 19. It was a third straight win for the Garnet with nine different players getting on the scoresheet.

Notable players: Quin Seivold ’22 and Carter Strauch ’23 both scored four goals, with Strauch also racking up two assists.       

Women’s Lacrosse

Swarthmore: 16, Arcadia University: 7

Women’s lacrosse dominated in a 16-7 win away against Arcadia on Saturday, March 19, their fourth straight win of the season. The Garnet ended the half with a 10-4 advantage and only extended their lead further as the game went on.

Notable players: Eleanor Miller ’22, Kyra Hall ’22, and Isabela Bloomuist ’25 all recorded hat tricks with Helen Stafford ’23 making six saves in goal.     

Women’s Softball

Swarthmore: 5, Widener: 3

Swarthmore: 4, Widener: 0

The Garnet traveled to Widener University on Tuesday, March 22, where they completed a sweep winning 5-3 and 4-0 over the course of the afternoon. Women’s softball will next host PSU Brandywine at home this Sunday, March 27. 

Notable players: Over both games Emily Bertrand ’25 hit four-for-seven, a double, and two RBIs, and Olivia McClammy ’25 hit three-for-four and one RBI.          

Men’s Swimming 

NCAA Championships

Andrew Karpenko ’24 picked up his second All-American title on the second day of the tournament, finishing ninth in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 54.26. Karpenko went on to win his third All-American honor on the final day with a fourteenth place finish in the 200 breaststroke with a time of 1:59.64. Karpenko now ends his highly successful season as a three-time All-American, and Centennial Conference Most Outstanding Performer, and Most Outstanding Rookie Performer.    

Women’s Swimming 

NCAA Championships

On day two of the NCAA Championships, the Garnet earned a 26th place finish in the 200 free relay with a time of 1:37.37 and a 21st place finish in the 400 medley relay with a time of 3:52.44. Gaby Ma ’23 competed in the 200 breast, swimming a personal collegiate best time of 2:23.27 and placing 20th. Ma also competed in the 100 breast, finishing nineteenth with a time of 1:04.45.       

Men’s Tennis

Swarthmore: 9, Gettysburg: 0

Swarthmore: 9,  Centre: 0

No. 30 Swarthmore men’s tennis completed an impressive double sweep on Saturday, March 19, as the Garnet saw off both Gettysburg and Centre without conceding a single match. 

Notable players: Against the Bullets, Graham Hadesman ’25 and Max Pogorelov ’25 secured the number one doubles spot with a 8-2 victory, and Kevin Jiang ’25 picked up the number one singles spot 6-4, 6-0 in a strong showing all round. Against Centre Grant Dill ’23 and John Nichols-Daly ’22 secured the number one doubles spot 8-5, and Charley Force ’24 won the number one singles 6-2, 6-2. 

Women’s Tennis

Swarthmore: 6,  Centre: 3

Swarthmore women’s tennis defeated Centre 6-3 away on Saturday, March 19. Their next match will be away at Dickinson College next Saturday on March 26. 

Notable players: Nathalie Williams ’25 and Crystal Xu ’23 were successful in the number one doubles position with a 8-4 victory, and Jenny Lewis ’24 won the number two singles 7-5, 6-3.