Weekend Recap

Men’s Cross Country

NCAA Championships

On the Saturday before Thanksgiving break Aidan Cantine ’23 and Atticus Hempel ’25 ran at the NCAA championships in Louisville, KY. Cantine placed 64th overall and Hempel crossed the finish line in 236th. This was the first time since 2014 that the men’s cross country team had runners qualify for the event. 

Women’s Cross Country

NCAA Championships 

Rose Tesler ’23 and Nora Blodgett ’22 also traveled to Louisville, KY after qualifying for the NCAA championships. Blodgett crossed the finish line in 132nd place and Tesler ’23 finished in 192nd for the Garnet. 

Men’s Basketball

Swarthmore: 81 Haverford: 50

This past Tuesday, in their second Centennial Conference matchup of the season, the Garnet recorded a divisive win over Haverford, improving their record to 5-1. The team extended their seventeen point lead at halftime to 31 by the end of game. Swarthmore men’s basketball will face Dickinson College this Saturday at 3:00 pm in Tarble Pavilion. 

Notable Players: Michael Caprise ’24 recorded his first collegiate double-double. Abass Sallah ’22 scored six points and three rebounds. 

Swarthmore: 79 Muhlenburg: 75

Swarthmore men’s basketball pulled out a close victory over Muhlenburg College on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. The Mules made a strong comeback at the end of the second half cutting down the Garnet’s double digit lead to two but Vinny DeAngelo ’24 drained two free-throws to close the game. 

Notable Players: Conor Harkins ’22 led the Garnet with 22 points and George Visconti ’23 scored sixteen.

Women’s Basketball

Swarthmore: 51, Immaculata: 47

Playing their fourth game of the season, Swarthmore women’s basketball defeated Immaculata University on Monday, Nov. 22. Though trailing in the first half, the Garnet took the lead in the next quarter, securing their close victory in the fourth quarter. 

Notable Players: Dana Bandurick ʼ23 tallied sixteen points, followed by Kim Kockenmeister ʼ23 fifteen points. 

Swarthmore: 55, Haverford: 45

This past Tuesday, Swarthmore women’s basketball traveled to Haverford, PA to face conference foe Haverford College. After the first quarter, Swarthmore maintained a steady lead in the subsequent frames, allowing the Garnet to come away with the victory. Women’s basketball will next face Dickinson College on Saturday, Dec. 4 at home. 

Notable Players: Dana Bandurick ʼ23 recorded 26 points. Alyssa Hayashi ʼ25 and T Sallie ʼ25 both tallied ten points.