Weekend Recap

Men’s Golf

This past weekend, Swarthmore’s golf team finished out their fall season at the Gino Bondi Memorial Tournament at Glenmaura National Golf Club. Securing a second place finish behind Franklin & Marshall, the Garnet shot 633. Swarthmore golf will resume competitions in the spring season. 

Notable Players: Jackson Murphy ’24 tied for sixth place in the entire tournament. Ankur Malik ’22 finished eighth place with a score of 156. Michael Brown ’22 scored 157.

Women’s Cross Country

This past Saturday, Swarthmore women’s cross country participated in the Rowan Border Battle in Glassboro, NJ. Finishing in tenth place out of thirty-five teams, the Garnet scored 373 points. The team will next compete in the Centennial Conference Championships in Cockeysville, MD on Oct. 30. 

Notable Players: Nora Blodgett ’22 finished in 36th place and Emma Novak ’22 finished in 77th. 

Men’s Cross Country

At the Rowan Border Battle this past Saturday, Swarthmore men’s cross country finished in fifteenth place out of thirty-four teams. Scoring 404 points, the Garnet previewed the NCAA Regional course. Swarthmore men’s cross country will travel to Cockeysville, MD on Oct. 30 to compete in the Centennial Conference Championships. 

Notable Players: Aidan Cantine ’23 led the Garnet, finishing in 19th place overall. Aiden Tomov ’23 finished in 71st place overall. 

Field Hockey

Franklin & Marshall: 3, Swarthmore: 1

In a conference game this past Saturday, Swarthmore women’s field hockey faced Franklin & Marshall. Falling to Franklin & Marshall 1-3, the Garnet lost their momentum after their goal in the first quarter. Franklin & Marshall subsequently scored two goals in the second quarter and a final goal in the third quarter. The Garnet will next host Dickinson College at Clothier Field on Saturday, Oct. 23. 

Men’s Soccer

Swarthmore: 2, Franklin & Marshall: 2

This past Saturday in Lancaster, PA, Swarthmore men’s soccer tied with Franklin & Marshall, another team in the Centennial Conference. After the Garnet scored a goal in each half, Franklin & Marshall answered with two goals of their own, leading to two overtimes. Swarthmore men’s soccer will continue to fight for a postseason position in their game on Saturday, Oct. 23, against Dickinson College. 

Notable Players: Conor Gill ’22 scored both of the Garnet’s goals. Max Kral ’23 recorded eight saves in goal. Oliver Garcia ’24, Woojin Shin ’22, and Charley Ward ’22 all took one shot. 

Women’s Volleyball

Swarthmore: 3, Franklin & Marshall: 2

In one game of the Franklin & Marshall Tri-Match in Lancaster, PA this past Saturday, Swarthmore volleyball defeated Franklin & Marshall. After winning the first two sets, the Garnet lost the next two sets to the opponent. In the final set, Swarthmore secured the victory with a score of 15-9. 

Notable Players: Kaylee Zhang ’23 had fifteen kills and Chloe Mayhue ’23 had twelve. Trisha Razdan ’25 recorded thirteen digs. 

Scranton: 3, Swarthmore: 0

Swarthmore volleyball fell to the University of Scranton in the second game of the Franklin & Marshall Tri-Match this past Saturday. In this non-conference match, the Garnet could not secure any sets, falling to Scranton 0-3. The Garnet will next face Dickinson College at home on Saturday, Oct. 23. 

Notable Players: Kaylee Zhang ’23 recorded ten kills and Lucy Fetterman ’22 recorded four. 

Women’s Soccer

Swarthmore: 1, Franklin & Marshall: 0

This past Saturday in Lancaster, PA, Swarthmore women’s soccer battled and defeated Franklin & Marshall. After neither team scored in the first half, the Garnet scored in the 53rd minute, securing the win despite taking only six shots, while Franklin & Marshall took eleven. Swarthmore women’s soccer will next play Dickinson College this coming Saturday, Oct. 23, at Clothier Field. 

Notable Players: Veronica Gibbons ’23 scored the Garnet’s sole goal and also her third goal of the season. Megan Ruoff ’23, Kim Kockenmeister ’23, and Amy Harris ’22 all recorded one shot each.