Weekend Recap

Field Hockey

Swarthmore: 7, Delaware Valley: 0

On Saturday, Swarthmore field hockey defeated and shut out Delaware Valley’s team at Clothier Field. The Garnet scored the first goal eight minutes into the game, setting a powerful tone for the rest of the game. At the end of the first half, Swarthmore was up 5-0, later scoring two more insurance goals in the fourth quarter. Swarthmore’s field hockey team will next host Johns Hopkins on Saturday, September 25.

Notable Players: Brooke Findlay ’24 scored the first goal in the first eight minutes of the game, followed by a goal by Samantha Meacock ’22 three minutes later. Katherine Kohn ’25 scored her first goal of her Swarthmore career at the end of the first quarter. Aron Lankford ’22 and Victoria Kimmel ’25 combined in goal for the shutout.

Men’s Soccer

Johns Hopkins: 2, Swarthmore: 0

In Baltimore on Saturday, MD, Swarthmore men’s soccer fell to Johns Hopkins in the opening game of the Centennial Conference. By halftime, neither team had scored despite each taking seven respective shots. However, within the first two minutes of the second half, Johns Hopkins scored their first goal and followed it with another goal with twenty minutes left in the game. Swarthmore will next play Gettysburg College at home on Saturday, September 25.

Notable Players: Max Kral ’23 had six saves throughout the game. Both Charlie Ward ’22 and Joe Barile ’22 each took two shots. Oliver Garcia ’24 took four shots. 

Women’s Tennis

This past weekend, the women’s tennis team participated in the Swarthmore Invitationals, hosted by Swarthmore College. Playing in both singles and doubles matches, the Garnet earned several victories throughout the weekend. Four Swarthmore players went undefeated in singles. Swarthmore will compete next at the ITA Regionals in Fredericksburg, VA starting Saturday, September 25. 

Notable Players: Grace Dignazio ’22, Jenny Lewis ’24, Anna Miller ’23, and Nathalie Williams ’25 all went undefeated in singles. 

Volleyball

Christopher Newport: 3, Swarthmore: 1

Swarthmore: 3, Salisbury: 2

Last Saturday afternoon, Swarthmore women’s volleyball fell to Christopher Newport 25-20, 7-25, 16-25, 14-25 and defeated Salisbury 25-27, 25-16, 20-25, 25-19, 15-13 at the Salisbury Tri-Match. In the first set against the Christopher Newport Captains, the Garnet pulled away from 12-12 to 15-12 with three swift points, at which point the Captains called a timeout. Back to back kills took the Garnet to 22-17, before a decisive first set win at 25-20. Although the Garnet lost the next three sets to lose the game against Christopher Newport, they secured a victory in their next match against Salisbury. This exciting five-set match was the second win for the Garnet over the Seagulls in program history. Swarthmore will compete this Saturday, Sept. 25 at 1 p.m. in the opening match of the Centennial Conference against Johns Hopkins at Tarble Pavilion.

Notable Players: Sierra Tyson ’24 collected three assists and sixteen digs against Christopher Newport, with an additional six assists and three service aces against Salisbury. Chloe Mayhue ’23 scored a service ace against Christopher Newport, with Erin Kaye ’24 acquiring three kills on four attacks for a .750 hitting percentage in the first set against the Captains. In the game against Salisbury, Mayhue collected five assists, eleven kills, and an additional ace, with Grace Hegland ’24 having two service aces as well.

Golf

Swarthmore’s men’s golf team earned third place at the Frederick W. Anton III Memorial Invitational at Rock Manor Golf Club this past Sunday afternoon. Collectively, the team shot a 312 on the par-71, 6,405-yard course. Stevenson University shot 306 as a team for first place, with Chestnut Hill College placing second, with a team total of 310. Swarthmore will play again this weekend, September 24-25, in the Arcadia Golden Oaks Shootout at Golden Oaks Golf Club.

Notable Players: Ankur Malik ’22 led the Garnet with a score of 76, placing sixth overall. Alex Cheriel ’24 tied for 14th place with a score of 78. Jackson Murphy ’24 and Ben Lee ’24 shot 79 to tie for the eighteenth place finish, with Michael Brown ’22 coming in the Garnet top five, shooting 80.